Thread: Roof top tent/spare tire carrier/roof rack project

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh

Roof top tent/spare tire carrier/roof rack project

I picked this up off CL with the idea of modifying it to fit my Dodge Ram. The goal is to have a spot to mount a future roof top tent, a spare (won't fit under the truck due to the size) and above the cab I will make a sort of basket for extra gear. There will also be off-road lights mounted to the front of the basket - I'm thinking 4. Wish I had AutoCAD or something to help lay it out, but I don't.

The rack will have to be shortened about 2 feet to fit the bed, widened about a foot, and made about a foot taller to clear the cab. I can do a lot of the cutting at my house, but will need to take it somewhere for the welding as I don't think I can sneak it into my shop without anyone noticing.

So, here it is:

At the moment it is almost 13 feet long, about 4.5 feet wide and must wiegh 300lbs. Any of our vendors want to get involved in this project? Let me know.
    Last edited by JoshInReno; December 23rd, 2010 at 09:24 AM.

Wheeler
    Sparks,NV but currently stationed in Germany
    Real Name
    Jake
    good project!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    subscribed. id like to see how this turns out

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardwhan View Post
    subscribed. id like to see how this turns out
    Yeah me too. I like these kinds of builds. Take lots of pictures.
    "Bird Law in this country is not governed by reason. You absolutely can't own a hummingbird, but you can however keep a gull as a pet. You don't wand to live with a seabird though, it'll blast your ear drums out."

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kenny
    hate to say it, but if you have to widen and make it taller, you'll prolly be wishing you just started from scratch....but..........what fun would that be...good luck

Web Wheeler
    Is it done yet? '

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    hate to say it, but if you have to widen and make it taller, you'll prolly be wishing you just started from scratch....but..........what fun would that be...good luck
    I'm Going to have to agree here. If it is too small in almost every way, it seems like you would be better off making one from scratch. You wouldn't have any strength issues and it would sure come out alot cleaner in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
    Thats hysterical....whoa and I thought I was the master of booty fab. I feel like such an amateur. Its not even even...no way that can be real.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    Is it done yet? '
    Done?! Hell, it's still on the trailer.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdaledevine View Post
    I'm Going to have to agree here. If it is too small in almost every way, it seems like you would be better off making one from scratch. You wouldn't have any strength issues and it would sure come out alot cleaner in the end.
    I hear what your sayin - I really do. The problem is that it is too BIG in some ways, and just a little too small in other ways - but overall the dimensions are there.

I do need to cut the part that fits over the bed by about 18". That part is easy enough. The part that goes over the cab will also need to be shortened around 18" - again, pretty easy. Having the "basket" over the cab will have to be boxed in, but the frame is mostly there. I will need to weld on some tabs for the off-road lights - easy. I stil haven't measured the height to be sure, but I might have to make it a few inches taller to clear the cab. That, and making the part that goes over the bed wider will have to be professionally done. I need to get some quotes together for that.

I was going to have something made from scratch initially, but when this popped up on CL my mind went wild with the possibilities so now I am commited. It might cost more and take longer than my original idea - but I think I will be happier in the end.

Wonder if ORI or Trent Fab could do the heavy work for me?
    Last edited by JoshInReno; December 28th, 2010 at 07:21 AM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    L.D.
    hell, even I could do that for ya. might be fun to do.
    I'M NOT A DAMN HIPPY, I'M A WELL GROOMED MOUNTAIN MAN
    YOUR JUST JEALOUS BECOUSE THE VOICES SPEAK TO ME