Thread: Digital Antenna to pick up local channels - Anyone got one?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris

Digital Antenna to pick up local channels - Anyone got one?

I got the email that my Direct TV bill is going up AGAIN the other day and I'm freaking sick of it. I've been with Direct TV for 12 years, i've got literally the cheapest of the cheap packages, no premium channels, hardly any channels at all it seems and i'm paying $50 a month. As of next month it will go up to $63 a month.

I've got charter cable for my internet, i've got netflix streaming thru the wii for movies and probably 600 DVD's. But i'd like to pick up the local stuff for some Football and some sitcom shows that I like to watch.

Anyone else using a HD TV Ant to pick up signal in the area? How's it work for you? What channels are you picking up? And most importantly what Ant did you pick up? I'm thinking about using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SDV294...4162979&sr=8-7

Web Wheeler
    I've had great success with a regular antenna. The digital stations come in very clear on my HDTV's. I got all the local Reno channels, from Fallon, last time I looked.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    I've had great success with a regular antenna. The digital stations come in very clear on my HDTV's. I got all the local Reno channels, from Fallon, last time I looked.
    Perfect!! This is what I was hoping for. If you can pick them up from Fallon i'm sure Gardnerville will be pretty much the same.

I also found this site that will map your location and list all the channels and the method you would need to get them. Regular Ant, Attic Ant, Roof Mounted Ant....etc.

http://tvfool.com/

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    CHRIS
    holy crap, im sure ill get mine in the mail saying mine will be going up as well. let me know if you get something to work for you because most likly ill do it to!
    OUTCAST CRAWLERS
    #989 Lunch Money Racing

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by poor boy pulling View Post
    holy crap, im sure ill get mine in the mail saying mine will be going up as well. let me know if you get something to work for you because most likly ill do it to!
    I'm so pissed off at direct tv. $60 a month for that package that I have is nuts.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    CHRIS
    Quote Originally Posted by GloNDark View Post
    I'm so pissed off at direct tv. $60 a month for that package that I have is nuts.
    ive been telling my self i was going to cancel ours after it hit 75 bucks a month if it goes up again im pulling the plug and buying a wii and jsut watch movies lol
    OUTCAST CRAWLERS
    #989 Lunch Money Racing

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kurt
    I grabbed a $16 digital tv antenna from wal mart last summer. Its passive so it does not need a power supply. With it just sitting behind the TV I can get 5 or 6 local channels. I'd assume an outdoor one would work a lot better.
    1997 SAS 4runner with a few mods.

Web Wheeler
    I'm still amazed at the picture quality of broadcast digital TV. I spent about $60 on my antenna. There are a couple of channels that I would like to improve on so I was thinking of trying an amplifier. With the $15 per month Netflix and broatcast TV, I'm set pretty good. The only thing I really miss is ESPN but I just go to Sneakers if there's something I really want to see.
    And the watchman told... and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.
    . 2 Kings 9:20

I don't worry about my ego, so long as my camera is bigger than my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17555839@N03/

My website:
    http://www.jonathanblakephotography.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Phil
    Did you try Dish? or just done with it all?
    88 Toyota 4Runner, SR5, V6, Auto
    06 Chevy Silverado All Stock, 4x4, Reg. Cab L.B.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    I have Terrestrial Digital DB2, works great and picks up all local channels.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by phildelfino View Post
    Did you try Dish? or just done with it all?
    I looked at Dish, They have a few deals right now that seem pretty interesting. I need to find someone locally that has it and go check it out before I buy into it. I figured if I bought a $50 ant, and decided that between the Antenna, Netflix, Hulu and the Computer if I needed more I could always return the Antenna and go with Dish later.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    CHRIS
    Quote Originally Posted by GloNDark View Post
    I looked at Dish, They have a few deals right now that seem pretty interesting. I need to find someone locally that has it and go check it out before I buy into it. I figured if I bought a $50 ant, and decided that between the Antenna, Netflix, Hulu and the Computer if I needed more I could always return the Antenna and go with Dish later.
    try it, see how good it is and report back so i know if i need to switch lol
    OUTCAST CRAWLERS
    #989 Lunch Money Racing

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Ancient thread revival...but I don't want to make a new thread.

Anyone using a digital antenna for tv? I'm looking to get local Fox/CBS/ABC/NBC channels if possible. It seems like I could spend as much on a TV antenna as I could on a month of TV. I haven't seen the "old school" style metal antennas in a long time so I'm not sure if they work anymore, or if a digital version exists. I have 1 TV in the entire house so if a simple antenna inside works and someone has suggestions of which one works I'm all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    We have good signal around here. Even the cheapo ones usually work well.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    I use a digital external antenna with an amplifier. I am in Spanish Springs and have it pointed at Mt Rose. ABC is a little weak sometimes. The rest of the channels come in great. My model is no longer available on Amazon but it is a long range digital with a booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Madison
    “What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.”

KG7DLY

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
    I use a digital external antenna with an amplifier. I am in Spanish Springs and have it pointed at Mt Rose. ABC is a little weak sometimes. The rest of the channels come in great. My model is no longer available on Amazon but it is a long range digital with a booster.
    So did you just run the coaxial cable inside the house or did you connect it to the main TV Cable feed on the outside of the house? I saw a few $70+ external ones but if they're going to work the same as a $20 one I'd rather save the cash for the install fee.
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    My house had a satellite coax by the eve so I hooked it there and tapped into the rest of the coax in the house. If I turn the amp/booster off I get a few less channels. I have "heard" the interior antennas actually work just as well here. That was a friend in stead.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Madison
    “What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.”

KG7DLY

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
    My house had a satellite coax by the eve so I hooked it there and tapped into the rest of the coax in the house. If I turn the amp/booster off I get a few less channels. I have "heard" the interior antennas actually work just as well here. That was a friend in stead.
    Thanks for the input. I have a satellite coax also so my plan was to hook it up there. I know they only wired it to one outlet though because I was the one who ran the wire through the attic. Apparently the one I bought mounts on the same pole. I find it interesting you get LESS channels with the booster. I'd think it would be more. As for interior working just as well I think it's due to proximity to the signal. If you're 10 meters vs 100 meters away you might need a better antenna.

Ordered this one. Mostly because I wanted to have that 1980s look on my new house. Also, almost every single review said it was a really good unit mounted inside, or outside, with or without the booster.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    Ordered this one. Mostly because I wanted to have that 1980s look on my new house. Also, almost every single review said it was a really good unit mounted inside, or outside, with or without the booster.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    That’s the same one I ended up putting on my house. Very apply with it. I installed it were the Dish used to be and wired it in that way. I get CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and all the secondary channels oh each one as well. Picture quality is great and never have a problem with snow or weather.

Have been without satellite or cable for almost 5 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Cary
    Do not waste $ on a Digital antenna. Best for over the air digital signals is still a Yagi old fashioned antenna. Just use rg6 from it not the old ribbon cable.
    You may need to re-align it of if it has a rotatory your set.