Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Group Overlanding

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Highrock is closed Feb - May. :/

I guess I'll find something else out there to do.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    Highrock is closed Feb - May. :/

I guess I'll find something else out there to do.
    Let's do death valley

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    When are we going?!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    When are we going?!
    Anytime starting march. I have skids a snorkel and a winch to put in b4 I go!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    You're gonna need that snorkel when you're eating my dust!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh

Cool

You're gonna need that snorkel when you're eating my dust!
    Thats why I am getting it lol.!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    I'm off the 12th - 20th of March. I'm not sure I'm set on DV though.

I say we join RareCJ8 and head out to the Ely area for a Mid March adventure!
    Last edited by maxamillion2345; February 13th, 2011 at 03:10 AM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    I'm off the 12th - 20th of March. I'm not sure I'm set on DV though.

I say we join RareCJ8 and head out to the Ely area for a Mid March adventure!
    Well Lauren and I had talked about doing the grand canyon, Moab area, and the back through the top of nv. But on that trip we would want a min of 4 days.

She is a little fed up with the cold. Lol.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    I'm all for spending 4+ days but that's a little out of my budget. WAY too far.

Of course, if you're wanting to go, do it! That'd be a fun trip!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brigitta
    Quote Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
    Well Lauren and I had talked about doing the grand canyon, Moab area, and the back through the top of nv. But on that trip we would want a min of 4 days.

She is a little fed up with the cold. Lol.
    Definitely want to take a week minimum to hit all those. Way........ too much to see in each place. You could get a quick "glimpse" at the Grand Canyon if you only gave yourself a day there, in Moab you don't want to miss Canyonlands and Arches NP's and of course hit a few spectacular trails, and taking in some of the granduer of Great Basin NP will all take some time.

Spring time will also have cool temps in those areas. I've been in Moab in late April only to have snow, and many of the sights in Great Basin will be at the 8000' level. As for Grand Canyon in spring, it's a crap shoot whether the weather will be good.

If your looking for some warmer temps in the spring, Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree NP are fun and warm!!!!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigitta View Post
    Definitely want to take a week minimum to hit all those. Way........ too much to see in each place. You could get a quick "glimpse" at the Grand Canyon if you only gave yourself a day there, in Moab you don't want to miss Canyonlands and Arches NP's and of course hit a few spectacular trails, and taking in some of the granduer of Great Basin NP will all take some time.

Spring time will also have cool temps in those areas. I've been in Moab in late April only to have snow, and many of the sights in Great Basin will be at the 8000' level. As for Grand Canyon in spring, it's a crap shoot whether the weather will be good.

If your looking for some warmer temps in the spring, Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree NP are fun and warm!!!!
    We bring our dogs with us everywhere so for us cold is 0 - 30 degrees. IF we can get day temps above 45-50 she will be in heaven lol.

I was kind of thinking that we should not go to as many places, I am not really in to the grand canyon but moab + trails and great basin np and do some bicycle riding while there sounds like a solid plan. I would hate to drive that far to be in a rush. I would almost rather do the grand canyon - havasu around sept?

IS Joshua Tree a good place for camping ? I dont know much about that area, but we share a name lol

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brigitta
    Quote Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
    We bring our dogs with us everywhere so for us cold is 0 - 30 degrees. IF we can get day temps above 45-50 she will be in heaven lol.

I was kind of thinking that we should not go to as many places, I am not really in to the grand canyon but moab + trails and great basin np and do some bicycle riding while there sounds like a solid plan. I would hate to drive that far to be in a rush. I would almost rather do the grand canyon - havasu around sept?

IS Joshua Tree a good place for camping ? I dont know much about that area, but we share a name lol
    Grand Cyn (south rim) is an awesome place to see in person and can be done with Sedona AZ for more scenic/biking stuff. I wouldn't do Havasu in Sept as it's still hot as blazes there (my friend lives there).

Williams AZ is about 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon (south rim) and about 60 miles nw of Sedona. It's a good place to stay and enjoy grand cyn and sedona. There is also camping in Oak Creek Cyn a few miles outside of Sedona, beautiful camping wtih trees and a creek.

Joshua tree is beautiful for camping but you won't find tree's for shade. Lot's of really neat rock formations and Joshua trees. Probably better done in the "winter" months as there isn't much shade and winter temps are hi 60's and lo 70's.

Moab is probably better done in early spring for cooler temps (sept/oct can still be in the mid 80's), while NE nevada better in early fall (sept/oct) for open roads & no snow. Although it's easy to combine a trip to Moab and NE nevada it's hard to find a time where the temps are cool in Moab and there isn't snow closing the roads in NV.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    I kind of skimmed through the thread but might be able to answer a few of the OP's questions.

6 vehicles is about the max for a good trip IMHO, more than that and every pee stop turns int a 45 minute delay. Plus camping spots for larger groups get hard to find. 3 to 4 is really good especially if everyone is on the same page as far as interest go, ie dogs, photography, wild flowers whatever.

A group of vehicles with similar abilities is usually a LOT better than a group with one or two "weak sisters". I've been on both sides of this one it it's no fun either way.

The dogs will haaaaate Death Valley unless you go soon or stick to high altitude areas like Hunter Mountain or Mahogany Flats. My dogs have always been pretty well acclimated to desert living and they were dragging butt in Death Valley at Easter. It can stay cool late in the year but it is a crap shoot.

Northern Nevada would be a better choice for getting into desert travel IMHO.
    75 FJ40 w/stuff; 98 UZJ100 kinda stock; 1984 FJ60
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Real Name
    Jason
    I'm performing CPR on this thread to bring it back to life. Since the postings were from Feb. did any of these overland trips occur? Please do tell because I'm interested.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Myself and another member did a trip from NV - Utah focusing on moab and 6 days of back country trails and camping. It was a blast.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    I also hit MOAB twice this year and CA, AZ, UT, NM, WY, OR,CO also

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Sierra View Post
    I also hit MOAB twice this year and CA, AZ, UT, NM, WY, OR,CO also
    Nice, I'm jealous! I had a couple big trips planned but got sick. O well.

Web Wheeler
    Does anyone wanna attempt some fall/winter 2011 overland trips? Basically select a few dirt roads from the Gazetteer and explore?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brigitta
    Love fall/winter camping! I've got 2 bent rear axles and a steering box to replace first

There are plenty of old mining camps and such that are interesting to explore as long as it hasn't been too wet.