Thread: Snotel

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max

Snotel

How did I just hear about this now? Waiting for the snow to melt here in Wyoming so I can go exploring. Just thought I'd pass on the info in case there are those out there like me who didn't/don't know about this.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Nevada/nevada.html

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/

Wasn't sure where this belonged but this seemed an okay place.
    Last edited by maxamillion2345; May 20th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    mark
    This is a subsiduary company from a mining company,, They all do it, helps to keep them in a "Good Eye" with the public. Land management arms attach them selves to company's based on grants, your money, my money, to find and locate water table changes,,, based on snow impact, and snow melt ratio,, it does determine erosion of loose soil, land slides,, etc.. you have brought good information forward to the group,, don't get me wrong,, these are good people trying to make a solid difference in the way we live. Just becarefull of who you support,, generally there is a company (much larger than life) let's say Walm$rt or such,, that is funding the op, so that they are clean with the group of persons that are pi$$ing on theyre money parade... just my opinion..

Wheeler
    Real Name
    mark
    I may be way out of line on this? I do alot of stock trading and bump in to alot of these ground started company's,, funded by bigger business.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    mark
    just out of curiosity what are you doing in Wyoming? I am jazzed all over myself about your trip to the Moab,,, was killer im my opinion,,are you going to film any trails while you are there? if so,, some of the local buildings pictures would make great post's,,, wheel on dude,, Have A Safe Return Home.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max

I thought they were the Dept. of Agriculture? I just was interested in Snotel for the snow depth values. I didn't know of this until just this weekend so I thought maybe there were others out there that would find this useful as well.

My cousins have a ranch (the Sweetwater Gap Ranch) at the south end of the Wind River mtns and apparently the road just opened but the station just above them is telling me there is about 2' still up the road from their place. There also appears to be around 4+ feet over by Afton/Alpine in the mountains which makes me think it's probably still a bit wet in the forest roads below. Which really pisses me off because I can't wait to get over there.

I was born here but returned for an internship at Black Butte Coal near Rock Springs. I lived a few years in Kemmerer which is right at the base of Bridger-Teton natl forest and have fond memories of camping so I really can't wait to explore north out of Kemmerer up to Afton. I'll be sure to take a ton of photos and some trail vids. I'll probably also take some videos of riding quads and exploring near the ranch and just around Rock Springs here. If the snow ever melts I also want to take Union Pass.

Thanks man, Moab was a blast, hopefully this summer turns out just as well, if not better

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...hlight=bridger

In the first post you can see a water crossing with a sign that says Kemmerer, 39. I remember doing this kind of stuff as a kid and I've been desperately longing for home so I'm positively absolutely eager as all hell to get up there. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.