Thread: geocaching

Real Name
    brandon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geocaching

im still trying to get this started but i went wheeling today by topaz lake and picked up two caches on the way back. if you have never done it go out and try or go out and set your own up on some trails so you have to wheel out to them

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it boring and tedious. That said, my parents are nuts about it :sick:
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Real Name
    brandon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its cool if you wheel out to it then find them its like a treasure hunt

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES! GEO-CACHING!

Quote Originally Posted by vossman59 View Post
    im still trying to get this started but i went wheeling today by topaz lake and picked up two caches on the way back. if you have never done it go out and try or go out and set your own up on some trails so you have to wheel out to them
    Haven't been to this site in awhile, checked about a week ago & now finally have the time to reply. We love geo-caching! There are many types of geo-caching that you can do. Our favorite types of caches are the off-road caches & historical caches. We stink at the micro caches!

Geo-caching has taken us to parts of NV that we would never have thought to explore. Along with learning a little history, we have been blessed with some of the best scenery NV has to offer. You wouldn't know it was there, if it wasn't for geo-caching! This is an awesome sport, hobby... obession!? Almost everywhere you look, there is a geo-cache.

Now, for the 4X4 folks. My husband & youngest son joined our oldest son, Kairo (Nick) & the Reno 4X4 group in an adventure through Bronco Canyon. We are not rock crawlers (Kairo is) but they had an awesome time watching the action. While in the canyon, Gary & Joe place a cache in Bronco Canyon called Egg Rolls in Bronco Canyon.

Last Feb. we took a caravan of ~12 vehicles (geo-cachers) into this canyon to check on this cache & pick up a few more in the area. Kairo was a part of this caravan & led the way into Bronco Canyon. We all had an awesome time! We introduced people to an area they had never been to, had a few with us that this area felt like home. And, unfortunately had to have a Ford tow our YJ out.... we had a little problem, but that's another story.

Off-roaders & (some) geo-cachers go hand in hand. It's all great!

Actually the GBES organization does a two day off road rally in June. NO rock crawling but some exciting navigational routes. They do a Friday night course that is anywhere from 2-4 hours long. (~40 miles) They also do a day couse that is ~ 7 hours long & covers ~120 miles.
    You have one driver & one navigator. Passengers are welcome. Sounds easy on paper, but it is very difficult to do as you rely on your GPS'r, intution & they throw in course challenges & check-point challenges. Everything is timed.

Two years ago, was our first rally that we participated in. I drove with our youngest son, a 16 year old as my navigator. We came in 4th in the night rally & 9th in overall competition. Last year, I drove, my husband navigated & I am ashamed to tell you how we placed. It is a tough rally!

It is all great! I really think the Reno 4X4 group would have a great time holding runs where geo-caches are!..... Wait, that's everwhere!

Thanks you for promoting geo-caching. It's a great family sport!

If you ever want to get together to go caching, just let us know. Maybe we could arrange a caravan...

Kairo's mom, Mary Ann also RMEF- spokesman

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMEF-spokesman View Post
    Haven't been to this site in awhile, checked about a week ago & now finally have the time to reply. We love geo-caching! There are many types of geo-caching that you can do. Our favorite types of caches are the off-road caches & historical caches. We stink at the micro caches!

Geo-caching has taken us to parts of NV that we would never have thought to explore. Along with learning a little history, we have been blessed with some of the best scenery NV has to offer. You wouldn't know it was there, if it wasn't for geo-caching! This is an awesome sport, hobby... obession!? Almost everywhere you look, there is a geo-cache.

Now, for the 4X4 folks. My husband & youngest son joined our oldest son, Kairo (Nick) & the Reno 4X4 group in an adventure through Bronco Canyon. We are not rock crawlers (Kairo is) but they had an awesome time watching the action. While in the canyon, Gary & Joe place a cache in Bronco Canyon called Egg Rolls in Bronco Canyon.

Last Feb. we took a caravan of ~12 vehicles (geo-cachers) into this canyon to check on this cache & pick up a few more in the area. Kairo was a part of this caravan & led the way into Bronco Canyon. We all had an awesome time! We introduced people to an area they had never been to, had a few with us that this area felt like home. And, unfortunately had to have a Ford tow our YJ out.... we had a little problem, but that's another story.

Off-roaders & (some) geo-cachers go hand in hand. It's all great!

Actually the GBES organization does a two day off road rally in June. NO rock crawling but some exciting navigational routes. They do a Friday night course that is anywhere from 2-4 hours long. (~40 miles) They also do a day couse that is ~ 7 hours long & covers ~120 miles.
    You have one driver & one navigator. Passengers are welcome. Sounds easy on paper, but it is very difficult to do as you rely on your GPS'r, intution & they throw in course challenges & check-point challenges. Everything is timed.

Two years ago, was our first rally that we participated in. I drove with our youngest son, a 16 year old as my navigator. We came in 4th in the night rally & 9th in overall competition. Last year, I drove, my husband navigated & I am ashamed to tell you how we placed. It is a tough rally!

It is all great! I really think the Reno 4X4 group would have a great time holding runs where geo-caches are!..... Wait, that's everwhere!

Thanks you for promoting geo-caching. It's a great family sport!

If you ever want to get together to go caching, just let us know. Maybe we could arrange a caravan...

Kairo's mom, Mary Ann also RMEF- spokesman
    I finally made it back to Bronco in my FJ40 two weeks ago. And didn't look for the cache!!
    I'm sure we will be back there many more times now Ol Rusty is finally trail worthy again.

Trails with geocaches:
    Rubicon
    Fordyce
    Barney Reily
    Barrett Lake
    Just to name a few.

If you guys want to do another caravan through the Virginia Range lets get it together.
    75 FJ40 w/stuff; 98 UZJ100 kinda stock; 1984 FJ60
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    I find it boring and tedious. That said, my parents are nuts about it :sick:
    Whipper-snapper!
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Greg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any one going to VC on Saturday for the parade?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/neare...on=-119.645383

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you find out where there are caches at? We used to make these when I was in the army months prior to an actual training mission. If we didn't find them. We didn't eat. Back then the GPS units we had were about the size of a lap top computer and much heavier. It didn't show you were on the map, rather it gave a 10 digit grid coordinate in which you could use your map to find where you were. They were rare in my unit then and I never really had alot of hands on with it and rather had to depend on map and compass skills.

I was amazed when I saw Justin's GPS. It showed trails that weren't even on the map I bought at Smith's. lol. It may be awhile before I buy a GPS but this is definately something I'd like to try.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNorm View Post
    Where do you find out where there are caches at? We used to make these when I was in the army months prior to an actual training mission. If we didn't find them. We didn't eat. Back then the GPS units we had were about the size of a lap top computer and much heavier. It didn't show you were on the map, rather it gave a 10 digit grid coordinate in which you could use your map to find where you were. They were rare in my unit then and I never really had alot of hands on with it and rather had to depend on map and compass skills.

I was amazed when I saw Justin's GPS. It showed trails that weren't even on the map I bought at Smith's. lol. It may be awhile before I buy a GPS but this is definately something I'd like to try.
    They have a couple of websites, geocaching.com is the most popular.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to get a GPS. I think I'll start placing some tool and spare parts cache's for motorized seekers neer popular trails. Wouldn't it be cool to need a part and know that one may be at the cache. I think the theme would be to leave a tool or spare and not to take anything unless you absolutely needed to. Eventually (If someone didn't rob it) there could be quite an inventory for the off roading/ geocaching community.

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol..... a cache of U joints and fluids! Pretty clever.

Although........ Tool Time

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fordyce Creek
    Cadillac Hill
    Rubicon Dreams, disabled but go check out the location, it is worth the walk.
    Buck Island Lake one of my personel favorites.
    A pic from near Rubicon Dreams
    Last edited by rusty_tlc; December 26th, 2006 at 07:20 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willyj View Post
    lol..... a cache of U joints and fluids! Pretty clever.

Although........ Tool Time
    I considered a cache of Birfields, after going to Longfields I had a spare set of course and fine splines laying around. I still have the course birfs and inners. I may cache them on Fordyce. Who knows, maybe I'll need them.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GBES- Great Basin Eastern Sierra geocaching group is having a birthday party. You can get all the details buy visiting GCZPXZ. GBES is the local northern NV geocaching site.

You can also visit GBESgeo.org to visit the site or click on the fun birthday cake to get more info.

And I agree with you rusty_tlc, Kairo is a young whipper-snapper! Ah...but, even if he isn't "thrilled" with geocaching He's a good kid... just a little mis-directed in his priorities!

He has been exposed to geocaching & that's a good thing!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah. . . I'm in Arizona playing golf and sipping fine wines in the 70 degree temps. The rest of you are in the artic winter known as Reno talking about finding bits of shiny stuff in the desert.

Now who has their priorities straight????? :wave:
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    Yah. . . I'm in Arizona playing golf and sipping fine wines in the 70 degree temps. The rest of you are in the artic winter known as Reno talking about finding bits of shiny stuff in the desert.

Now who has their priorities straight????? :wave:
    I hope you get a sunburn on your hootus.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have yet to participate in this but I have out of state friends who are always doing it. Is this the same thing as leaving trinkets at a stash or is that something else?
    Imperial Troops have entered the base...Imperial Troops have enschzzzz...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dennie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that is the basic concept, you find the cache take something and leave something for the next person, as well there is usually a log book to write in.
    1990 sky high YJ

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I didnt know we had any Geocachers on this site. I tried this out just a few weeks ago and had a blast. I rounded up a group of friends and we headed out. The heep wasnt ready to roll, so my friend was supposed to drive her Trooper, in case we needed to get off road for any. We found 3 between verdi and reno before we decided to get adventurous. We took on a 2.5-3 star terrain rated cache that took us off road on HWY 40. My friend forgot her 4x4 so we ended up hoofing it for just over a mile before we realized we were losing too much daylight. We will be back for this one.

As for GPS, we started using a handheld, but quickly switched to an Iphone app that can be had for $10. It was incredible and I would highly reccomend it. It is also awesome to see the NV has a local group. I am going to have to check out GBES.

If anyone ever wants to go, drop me a message. I am always down. Currently unemployed, so whenever is clever.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Wheelin' View Post
    Wow. I didnt know we had any Geocachers on this site. I tried this out just a few weeks ago and had a blast. I rounded up a group of friends and we headed out. The heep wasnt ready to roll, so my friend was supposed to drive her Trooper, in case we needed to get off road for any. We found 3 between verdi and reno before we decided to get adventurous. We took on a 2.5-3 star terrain rated cache that took us off road on HWY 40. My friend forgot her 4x4 so we ended up hoofing it for just over a mile before we realized we were losing too much daylight. We will be back for this one.

As for GPS, we started using a handheld, but quickly switched to an Iphone app that can be had for $10. It was incredible and I would highly reccomend it. It is also awesome to see the NV has a local group. I am going to have to check out GBES.

If anyone ever wants to go, drop me a message. I am always down. Currently unemployed, so whenever is clever.
    Here's a bit of Reno4x4 trivia. One of the very first Reno4x4 runs ever was organized as a Geocaching run from Lockwood to Virginia City. Once things dry out a bit I'd be up for another cache run like that.

Here are a few of my caches;
    This is still one of my favorites GCDE69.
    Of course if you are adventurous you could try GCJZC2.
    This cache makes part of a great day of 4x4 caching GCFCFC.

This isn't one of mine but it's on my list of all time favorite caches GCH28E.

The folks at GBES are great.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Wheelin' View Post
    Whats this iPhone app you speak of?
    Reno's new EDM online radio station.
    http://tecktonic.us

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brandon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure for iphone, but for android you can either buy a $10 app that is directly from geocaching.com or you can download the free one called c:geo and it uses the same caches from geocaching.com
    When ever I go out looking for caches it kinda makes me forget about everything else and puts me at a time in the past where people that roamed the area with out the stuff we have today besides my gps and ipod.