Thread: Help with dual sport install

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    nick

Help with dual sport install

I have a new truck coming and to save has I have decided to make my bike street legal. I suck at wiring and was wondering if some one would help me install it properly when the kit comes .

Real Name
    Jeremy
    what kind of bike is it and what type of on road kit did you buy?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    nick
    It's a wr450 04 and I gotta tusk cause there cheap and had good reviews

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    I put the Tusk kit on my DRZ400 and it was a pretty easy install. I found a good video somewhere, probably on rockymountainatv's site. Just be sure you have dot tires on the bike when you take it to dmv. They checked the tires. They checked that I had the lights, but not that they worked. I wouldn't say that I'm good at wiring but the kit was simple enough.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    I don't have much free time, but have an 04' WR 450 that I did the Baja Designs kit on. If you run into any problems I can probably help you out. Just take your time, and strip everything off the bike to route the wiring cleanly, don't get in a hurry. I installed a Trail Tech Vapor at the same time to keep the wiring all together and clean. Does the Tusk kit come with an upgraded stator like the Baja Designs kit? That was probably the toughest part of the install, and even that is pretty simple. Shoot me a text if you need to, I'm in NW Reno. Seven Four Two - 9139
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 1
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 2

R.I.P. Jeepster. New one ton Jeepster project to come.....

Real Name
    Jeremy
    Check out this you tube video and see if it helps. They have others if you need other items repaired as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nflgfeqxRW8

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Looks like the Tusk kit in the video does not come with new headlight w/ high low beam, or upgraded stator like the Baja Designs kit. Your headlight will have to be wired through the ignition to always be on. Also don't forget you need two mirrors in NV. Technically you need front brake to activate the brake light, but I didn't get called on that. Baja Designs kit also has a keyed ignition which is nice.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    The info on the Nevada DMV sight didn't say anything about a high/low beam headlight requirement or that it be wired to the ignition. Some states do have that requirement. You probably can get a ticket if you ride on the street without the light on. I used my stock headlight which is single beam and it wasn't an issue. It also doesn't specify whether the front or rear brake works the brake light. The Tusk kit will only have one brake light switch but wiring for both front and rear. I put mine on the front since I always use the front in town.

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp254.pdf

The DMV inspector just looked over the form, checked that I had the lights and mirrors and then was very particular that my tires were DOT.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    I knew the high low beam was not a legality, but thought you had to have light wired to the ignition, but looking at the NRS I don't see that it's a requirement. The Baja designs kit won't start the bike without the light on. You can't activate the brakes without activating the brake light, so technically both front and rear should have a switch. In traffic, I make sure to touch the rear lever all the time to activate the brake light when I'm on the front brake since I only have the rear switched.

If you plan to ride at night, I would consider a stator upgrade and a better headlight. The stock WR light is pretty sorry.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    nick
    I have a bad history with electronics projects and feel like I need some
    E super vision

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    I sent you a pm with my number.