Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: List of Local Shops

Real Name
    PEL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent recommendation, thanks. Mike and his crew know their stuff, highly recommend.

Real Name
    Charles
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from Folbeck 4WD this is a review I wrote about them... Feel free to ask me for details...

I was looking for a good place to service several 4x4s I have and I thought this was the place.... I was very wrong... By the way talking with Donny and a couple of the guys they were great I really liked them to bad they work here for someone who doesn't care about his customers.

I took in my 2011 Tahoe and spent over $18,000 on a lift kit, wheels , tires, front and rear steel bumpers, a winch and a driving light plus new gearing. I admit I spent way to much for what I got it would be much cheaper anyplace else but, I thought I was getting quality work and a company who stands behind what they do... . Be sure to shop around...

I asked and trusted their recommendation on what gearing to use WHAT A TERRIBLE MISTAKE... I am NOT happy with this work. The front end alignment is so far off it is wearing out the sides of my tires. The front bumper is not even it is sitting lopsided (they tell me it was Fab Fours fault) I had to take it back a couple times because tires were rubbing on the inner fender... I ended up trimming it myself. If you want it done right do it yourself or find someone who cares about their customers and their work...

The rear gearing is groaning and making a lot of noise it was not done correctly the front gearing is also making a low humming noise too. Jim said his choice in gearing is 4.88 with 34 inch tires on a 2011 Tahoe with a 6 speed transmission. The gearing may be great if your rock crawling but anywhere else it is terrible DO NOT TRUST their advice on gearing they truly do not know what they are talking about. My Tahoe is in overdrive at only 45 mph you have to wonder why bother having a 6 speed transmission... I do get 13 MPG with it now... I made it very clear I wanted gearing that would work best on the highway and this is what they recommended. To bad I listened to them and went with their suggestion on gearing...

So after spending $18,000 now they want me to pay $821.00 more for fixing this disaster OH they did offer to pay about $400... Well actually they are just giving me a discount to fix it... Check with BBB for more information...

I have spent another $4,000 some where else now and have at least that much more to spend in the near future but it will not be at Folbeck 4WD...

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMore View Post
    Stay away from Folbeck 4WD this is a review I wrote about them... Feel free to ask me for details...

I was looking for a good place to service several 4x4s I have and I thought this was the place.... I was very wrong... By the way talking with Donny and a couple of the guys they were great I really liked them to bad they work here for someone who doesn't care about his customers.

I took in my 2011 Tahoe and spent over $18,000 on a lift kit, wheels , tires, front and rear steel bumpers, a winch and a driving light plus new gearing. I admit I spent way to much for what I got it would be much cheaper anyplace else but, I thought I was getting quality work and a company who stands behind what they do... . Be sure to shop around...

I asked and trusted their recommendation on what gearing to use WHAT A TERRIBLE MISTAKE... I am NOT happy with this work. The front end alignment is so far off it is wearing out the sides of my tires. The front bumper is not even it is sitting lopsided (they tell me it was Fab Fours fault) I had to take it back a couple times because tires were rubbing on the inner fender... I ended up trimming it myself. If you want it done right do it yourself or find someone who cares about their customers and their work...

The rear gearing is groaning and making a lot of noise it was not done correctly the front gearing is also making a low humming noise too. Jim said his choice in gearing is 4.88 with 34 inch tires on a 2011 Tahoe with a 6 speed transmission. The gearing may be great if your rock crawling but anywhere else it is terrible DO NOT TRUST their advice on gearing they truly do not know what they are talking about. My Tahoe is in overdrive at only 45 mph you have to wonder why bother having a 6 speed transmission... I do get 13 MPG with it now... I made it very clear I wanted gearing that would work best on the highway and this is what they recommended. To bad I listened to them and went with their suggestion on gearing...

So after spending $18,000 now they want me to pay $821.00 more for fixing this disaster OH they did offer to pay about $400... Well actually they are just giving me a discount to fix it... Check with BBB for more information...

I have spent another $4,000 some where else now and have at least that much more to spend in the near future but it will not be at Folbeck 4WD...
    What gears were in there from the factory?
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734

Real Name
    Charles
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 3.08 to start with and they installed the 4.88's telling me it would give me the best performance...

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 3.08 to start with and they installed the 4.88's telling me it would give me the best performance...
    What size tires were on it from factory and what size tires did you put on? If going from 30" tire to a 35", you would have to go to 3.73 (from 3.08) to maintain the same RPMs at same speed. 3.54 if original tires were 31-32".
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734

Real Name
    Charles
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stock tires were (31.6) 265/70/17 and the tires Folbeck put on were (34.5) 315/70/17

So I am thinking going a little more to help with the heavier tires and extra weight for front rear steel bumpers that were installed too. I may go to 35 inch tires in the future too since I really do not like the ones they put on here.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stock tires were (31.6) 265/70/17 and the tires Folbeck put on were (34.5) 315/70/17

So I am thinking going a little more to help with the heavier tires and extra weight for front rear steel bumpers that were installed too. I may go to 35 inch tires in the future too since I really do not like the ones they put on here.
    Yeah, with that little change in tire diameter (less that 10%), to maintain stock RPMs you'd need to go to 3.39 ratio, with 3.42 being the closes available ratio. Even if you left stock gears in it, I doubt you would have noticed much difference.

With stock tires you were at 2292 RPM at 70mph, with 34.5" tires and stock gears you would have been at 2099 RPM @ 70mph. Instead, you're at 3326RPM with 4.88 gears.