Thread: Signal generator

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Eugene

Signal generator

I have been told to use a signal generator to determine the frequency and the voltage necessary to synchronize the two needles of a dual tach insrtument. From what I have been able to determine it is in a range of 3 to 5 volts and about 76HZ .
    Am I on the right track with this thread to find someone or are there suggestions of another place to try?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    I have a couple of sig gens that cover that freq range, but their max output is measured in Milli-volts. I used to have one that put out 1v but that thing was firkin' huge! RustyTLC might have access to what you need.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Eugene
    Okay thanks Chris.
    I know one side runs off the primary voltage of a four cylinder magneto at 2650 RPM. The other side runs of a hall effect sensor that is excited by a pair of magnets on a shaft that turns 2263 RPM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    I'll look at our retired instruments pile next week if you remind me on Monday, we might have an old Wavetek or something that cna do what you need.
    What kind of current do you need?

76Hz is slow, you could build a simple rat race oscillator that would do that with any basic logic chip, a resistor and a cap.
    75 FJ40 w/stuff; 98 UZJ100 kinda stock; 1984 FJ60
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Eugene
    Thanks Rusty,
    You lost me after "76Hz is slow" but that is what I get with my VOM when the needle is correct. I will drive the tach with a hall effect sensor excited by magnets on the shaft. Input voltage to the sensor is 12 vdc and output is between 3 and 5 dc as far as I can tell. If I can verify some ranges I should be able to build the magnetic driver.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    I think the Motorola one I have till do that, but I need to open the case and read the manual for the output.... Let me get back to you on this.
    Reno's new EDM online radio station.
    http://tecktonic.us

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    I think there is some confusion here. PM me your ph# and we can talk about it some. I need some more info to figure out WTF you need.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

"There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

-Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

8. The Following User Likes Gizmatical Fuquad's Post:

rusty_tlc (July 10th, 2012)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    I would think he needs 76hz DC pulsed at 3 to 5 volts...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    I just took a look at our retired instruments. We moved last week and everything is stacked two and three deep on shelving units. It would take me a week to find anything in that mess.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    I just took a look at our retired instruments. We moved last week and everything is stacked two and three deep on shelving units. It would take me a week to find anything in that mess.
    Can I come help you look?

-Me

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcrab View Post
    Thanks Rusty,
    You lost me after "76Hz is slow" but that is what I get with my VOM when the needle is correct. I will drive the tach with a hall effect sensor excited by magnets on the shaft. Input voltage to the sensor is 12 vdc and output is between 3 and 5 dc as far as I can tell. If I can verify some ranges I should be able to build the magnetic driver.
    A rat race oscillator is any odd number of logic gates (AND, OR, etc.) hooked up in series, the ones and zeros "chase" each other around the circuit. You can add a resistor/cap to control the rate. I've used them many times when exact timing wasn't important or the requires signal was very low frequency.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by KNCW View Post
    Can I come help you look?
    I'm trying to talk them into letting me have a garage sale, I'll keep the board posted on that.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    I'm trying to talk them into letting me have a garage sale, I'll keep the board posted on that.
    please only PM the few of us who can get to the good stuff first.... lol

15. The Following 2 Users Like PhantomRage's Post:

Gizmatical Fuquad (July 13th, 2012), Jiggerman (July 13th, 2012)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Toby, K7TBY
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomRage View Post
    please only PM the few of us who can get to the good stuff first.... lol
    ^^^What he said!
    JIGGERMAN
    I'm a simple man. I like pretty dark-haired women and breakfast food.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Eugene
    Sorrry for the break, scouting my deer tag area in the Santa Rosas.

KNOCW will PM

Rusty, I think there is a possibility that the oscillator would work. From tests on an HEI distributor while looking for a way to drive the tach I registered AC current and also AC from the primary side of an old Wisconsin magneto.