Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris

Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

I could swear the the NRS states 1000 yds from any residence, I can't find it with a quick search. Is that in the NRS or is it Washoe County?
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

Web Wheeler
    I thought it says 5000 feet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Durtywrench
    Some days I wish my mom would have swallowed too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan(Deluxx) View Post
    I'm not sure what the tranny ratios are, but i can leave it in first-low-low and go take a $hit and come outside and it will still be on my driveway crawling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Most Interesting Man in the World
    Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light, except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

renocomputerrepair.com
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Refer to Washoe County Code, Chapter 50, Reno Municipal Code, Sparks Municipal Code:

It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm within any congested area of the county.
    It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm in, on or across any county road or highway.
    It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
    It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county any shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
    Mr. IPOD
    Ask Big Blue how I saved him $2,600.00 on data recovery!
    Home & office computer repair/ Reno laptop repair/Networking/WIFI/Reno Server repair/Hard Drive Data Recovery/ IP & CCTV Camera Surveillance Systems DVR & NVR
    Call 722-6969 After hours support available

www.sonicwall.com/us
    www.cisco.com

4. The Following 2 Users Like Reno Computer Repair's Post:

CashMoney (October 11th, 2012), hunterd05 (October 11th, 2012)

renocomputerrepair.com
    Real Name
    Kevin
    County & State regs:
    http://www.washoesheriff.com/sub.php...discharge-maps

Full maps of congested VS permitted areas: http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/

Just looked at this one and many of my favorite places, while over 1 mile away from any residence, are still within the "restricted" areas on the WCSO map, the area behind Sage Hill and past Moss Lake
    Last edited by Reno Computer Repair; October 11th, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
    Mr. IPOD
    Ask Big Blue how I saved him $2,600.00 on data recovery!
    Home & office computer repair/ Reno laptop repair/Networking/WIFI/Reno Server repair/Hard Drive Data Recovery/ IP & CCTV Camera Surveillance Systems DVR & NVR
    Call 722-6969 After hours support available

www.sonicwall.com/us
    www.cisco.com

6. The Following User Likes Reno Computer Repair's Post:

Dennis (October 11th, 2012)

Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by KNCW View Post
    I could swear the the NRS states 1000 yds from any residence, I can't find it with a quick search. Is that in the NRS or is it Washoe County?
    just get a .45 and a can, anyone asks any questions tell them you were doing some remodeling inside.... since a .45 with a can sounds like a quiet nail gun. lol

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    This is one of the few instances where the counties and cities still have control over firearms regulation. This sheriff has gone over board with the regs. He has since put red circles around every known house in our area to stop shooting. We still shoot as many people have safe shooting ranges on their own property. Be careful.
    Why be trail rated when you can be Mil Spec. Hummer H1 "Like Nothing Else"

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Thomas T.
    Basically don't go shooting in Washoe County unless you are getting there with an ATV and you are far out in the absolute middle of nowhere. Anyplace a sheriff car or SUV can get to you they will find you and ticket you. I have an $800 attorney bill to prove it.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by tinseltomb View Post
    Basically don't go shooting in Washoe County unless you are getting there with an ATV and you are far out in the absolute middle of nowhere. Anyplace a sheriff car or SUV can get to you they will find you and ticket you. I have an $800 attorney bill to prove it.
    Where in the hell do you go? I can go about a mile and a half from my house by bicycle, car, or whatever out here in Cold Springs and shoot to my hearts content with no issues.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by KNCW View Post
    Where in the hell do you go? I can go about a mile and a half from my house by bicycle, car, or whatever out here in Cold Springs and shoot to my hearts content with no issues.
    X2

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    I know a lot of people, including myself. That go up behind Spanish Springs high school or further up eagle canyon. If you need help locating some spots let me know! We could meet up and I'd be happy to show you.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Pretty sure the spot behind the high school always packed with trash is actually too close to legally shoot but I never go there so I don't check it on the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Right behind the school may be. But I know some side roads that split off Eagle Canyon further up. I'm pretty sure they are way past safe!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by motonickolas View Post
    Right behind the school may be. But I know some side roads that split off Eagle Canyon further up. I'm pretty sure they are way past safe!
    Hope so. I'm assuming you're talking about going further past the school, around the bend, then taking the left before you hit Indian land. Same place where people dump a bunch of stuff, ride motorcycles, and travel to the North Valleys instead of taking McCarran or goin through sun valley.

http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/

better map than the one on the sheriff's website.
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Yaaa. You can go left or I believe if you go a little further there is a right you can take. A lot of people shoot over that direction as well.

Wheeler
    Keep in mind on forest service land (Peavine and Mt Rose etc) you cannot legally shoot from or across a forest service road. You also cannot shoot into or across an open body of water on forest service land. Damn near got a ticket for that. Glad the guy was nice about it. Anyone notice that radio towers are considered occupied places on the congested area map? No rifles or pistols on top of Peavine. Can't hunt rabbits with a 22 up there, eh? What a crock.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alien
    I just moved to stead from susanville...we're the he'll dose everybody shoot over here? I live by the jc pennies outlet in stead...... And I'm dying to take my shotgun out....

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo0nyt0on View Post
    I just moved to stead from susanville...we're the he'll dose everybody shoot over here? I live by the jc pennies outlet in stead...... And I'm dying to take my shotgun out....
    There are tons of areas. Take stead blvd north, stay right onto mt vida, turn right on bravo ave it turns into albert way, turn left on ramsey way, turn right on lemmon drive, turn left on chickadee. Follow that into desert and stay to the left on the main dirt roads. Make sure you are out far enough out and that you clean up what ever trash you make leave it cleaner than you found it. Lots of other areas around too. Happy shooting.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by 85yota View Post
    There are tons of areas. Take stead blvd north, stay right onto mt vida, turn right on bravo ave it turns into albert way, turn left on ramsey way, turn right on lemmon drive, turn left on chickadee. Follow that into desert and stay to the left on the main dirt roads. Make sure you are out far enough out and that you clean up what ever trash you make leave it cleaner than you found it. Lots of other areas around too. Happy shooting.

Nice so I'm right over bye some good areas Now I just need to find people that I can go shooting with...I'm working on getting another rifle soon (somthing I can't get in California) besides my 30-30 Winchester..... Btw. Who can I go to to talk about. Smoothing my 30-30s action up? It was my dads.....now it's mine.....but I garentee it has 30+ years of grim inside...and idk were to begin on cleaning it..soo....might as well get a good cleaning and smooth the action up...any ideas?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Phil patanude (sp?) at patanude precision.

22. The Following User Likes DirtyChemist's Post:

Durtywrench (January 4th, 2013)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    lou
    for some reason i cant go back pages on this thread. But i was just letting it be known that derby dam is closed for shooting.. im sorry if this is a repost just trying to saVE yoou guys a trip. i was told by highway patrol this morning when he was writing me my morning ticket

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Did he give any details as to why or for how long? Are they posting signs?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    lou
    He said they are cracking down on that spot because its within 5000 feet of the highway.. i cant remember if its the cities or the counties or the state that its violating. i just know that he said if they catch you out there they will start enforcing the law. I use to go out there all the time and with out shooting time spent , its a 45 minute drive there and back from sparks .. this is not hear say from a guy at the gun store. this id from a highway patrol officer. So take it however you want. I just know it would ruin my day to drive out there for no reason , or get my guns taken , or even a ticket.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Durtywrench View Post
    He said they are cracking down on that spot because its within 5000 feet of the highway.. i cant remember if its the cities or the counties or the state that its violating. i just know that he said if they catch you out there they will start enforcing the law. I use to go out there all the time and with out shooting time spent , its a 45 minute drive there and back from sparks .. this is not hear say from a guy at the gun store. this id from a highway patrol officer. So take it however you want. I just know it would ruin my day to drive out there for no reason , or get my guns taken , or even a ticket.
    Passed this on to a friend I know who shoots out there often. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    I was under impression from the WCSO that Derby was under Washoe county and according to the google maps it is as far as I can tell. so it is left to state law NRS and Washoe County. Under premeption only the legislature can make gun law except with regard to discharge of firearms in cogested areas.
    NRS 244.364 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:

(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289; 2011, 1109)

Washoe County Code, Chapter 50, Reno Municipal Code, Sparks Municipal Code:
    • It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm within any congested area of the county.
    • It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm in, on or across any county road or highway.
    • It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
    • It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county any shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.

Refer to NRS 503.175, NAC 407.105, and United States Code of Federal Regulations Title 36, Chapter II, Part 261,
    • It is unlawful to discharge a firearm from, upon, over or across any federal or state highway or any county road or highway.
    • It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within a Nevada State Park, unless otherwise designated by the Administrator.
    • Within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Forest Service, it is prohibited to discharge a firearm in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge, or into or within any cave.

Live Map: http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/
    From the map it is hard to find the Derby exit but if it is #36 then I see no restrictions in place. #38 yes there are restrictionms
    I see nothing about NEAR A ROAD or within XXX FROM ROAD OR HIGHWAY
    Why be trail rated when you can be Mil Spec. Hummer H1 "Like Nothing Else"

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    I'm not doubting you Durtywrench. I hope they put up some signs before they start handing out tickets. It appears to be legal according to the WCSO web site (I understand that this doesn't mean it is necessarily legal). They could hand out a lot of tickets before the public catches on.

There is no distance from a road or highway restriction listed here:
    http://www.washoesheriff.com/sub.php...discharge-maps

According to this interactive map, the area is okay:
    http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/
    Last edited by 211john; January 4th, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: being specific