Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

I support Reno4x4!
    Holy thread revival

want to go out shooting Sat and not to the regional facility. What areas are hot and not? Looks like Kiowa Pond is out of the congested area... or upper reaches of peavine...

EDIT: Kiowa Pond itself is marked prohibited. HUGE yellow area of restricted shooting on peavine... areas to legally shoor getting trimmed down more and more...

http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/
    Last edited by RARECJ8; October 7th, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    It's funny that Pevone is largely no shooting yet NDOW says deer in the area for hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    And Sage Grouse are "Endangered" but NDOW still has a season!!!???......WTF..................

Sooo, you can hunt Grouse but you can't shoot them and you can stalk deer on Pevine but don't dare cap a round.......

I am so confused......
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

BUILD THE WALL!!! Sharon.
    LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUTTA THE WAY! Thomas Paine
    Lack of planning or your part does not constitute an emergency on my part! Bob Carter

4. The Following 2 Users Like efstop22's Post:

JoshInReno (November 6th, 2013), Squirrel Cage (October 7th, 2013)

Real Name
    Tim
    Spanish springs area? Used to go to derby cause I didn't have 4x4. Now I have an F350 so I can get out a bit. Hungry valley? Golden eagle? Any areas still open?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Might as well go to the gun range. Shows people use it and its pretty much the only safe place to go. Spanish Springs is going to get shut down because people dump and I see it getting blamed on shooters not on off roaders for once. Either that or Carson range. At least the Washoe range is still open too. I've read that someone wants to sell it.

I think ink thee is a road past the range on the right hand side that has some shooting spots that look like a private bay.
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    I've read that someone wants to sell it.
    It is not privately owned so cannot just be sold
    A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by ammowaster View Post
    It is not privately owned so cannot just be sold
    I thought what I was reading was fishy. County range privately owned.

Either way I support people using the range often. More people involved in using the range means improvements. Nothing changes on its own. People not coming back hasnt worked to improve anything. Same complaints seem to come up often enough that people need to make the PUBLIC range a PUBLIC INTEREST. That being said, Stillwater Firearms will get a lifetime member out of me shortly. Even if I DO know at least two members already.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Fallon USPSA at Stillwater Firearms Sunday. Show up between 8:00am and 8:59am and sign up for some fun. I won't make it since I'm buying a house and trying to save as much as I can before going into escrow. I should be back at it in a few months pending living expenses aren't above what I've calculated. Unless I upgrade my reloading bench from a collapsible workbench.

Web Wheeler
    Fallon USPSA at Stillwater Firearms Sunday. Show up between 8:00am and 8:59am and sign up for some fun. I won't make it since I'm buying a house and trying to save as much as I can before going into escrow. I should be back at it in a few months pending living expenses aren't above what I've calculated. Unless I upgrade my reloading bench from a collapsible workbench.
    I think you meant to post in the shooting events thread
    A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by ammowaster View Post
    I think you meant to post in the shooting events thread
    HAHAHAHA that's what happens when you post from a mobile device.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    One week ago today (Tuesday, August 26,2014) the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners voted unanimously to amend County Code 50.092 to a more reasonable discharge distance of 500 feet, as it once was prior to 1972. This change ONLY applies to certain defined areas within Warm Springs (Palomino Valley.)

After a ten-day period elapses, it will take effect, and you will be able to read the full text of the code change.

It took me and my wife 15 months of hard work to get this passed, an we are very grateful to Commissioner Bonnie Weber for her support of our initiative. It is a step in the right direction. The Sheriff's Office agreed not to oppose the initiative, because they rarely get calls for "shooting near houses" in Palomino Valley.

We also should thank Assistant District Attorney Paul Lipparelli for his work in steering us through the legal landscape, and for crafting the new language.
    So at what point between digging the ditch you’re told to dig, and being shot into it, are you going to fight back?

13. The Following 7 Users Like InFineRegemus's Post:

chevydan3 (September 4th, 2014), Durtywrench (September 5th, 2014), jfrey123 (September 13th, 2014), jsipe007 (September 4th, 2014), litlmeck (September 3rd, 2014), tahoe1028 (September 3rd, 2014), thedude (September 5th, 2014)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    That's good to hear.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by InFineRegemus View Post
    One week ago today (Tuesday, August 26,2014) the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners voted unanimously to amend County Code 50.092 to a more reasonable discharge distance of 500 feet, as it once was prior to 1972. This change ONLY applies to certain defined areas within Warm Springs (Palomino Valley.)

After a ten-day period elapses, it will take effect, and you will be able to read the full text of the code change.

It took me and my wife 15 months of hard work to get this passed, an we are very grateful to Commissioner Bonnie Weber for her support of our initiative. It is a step in the right direction. The Sheriff's Office agreed not to oppose the initiative, because they rarely get calls for "shooting near houses" in Palomino Valley.

We also should thank Assistant District Attorney Paul Lipparelli for his work in steering us through the legal landscape, and for crafting the new language.
    This is funny just because my parents live out there and I always hear people shooting. Even when I tell them it's technically illegal they never cared. Maybe because shooters are aiming towards the hills, maybe because people just leave you alone. Either way way to put in the foot work and get something like this passed. If only they'd extend that to the homes in South Reno and the shooting area behind the ex-shotgun club.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    This is funny just because my parents live out there and I always hear people shooting. Even when I tell them it's technically illegal they never cared. Maybe because shooters are aiming towards the hills, maybe because people just leave you alone. Either way way to put in the foot work and get something like this passed. If only they'd extend that to the homes in South Reno and the shooting area behind the ex-shotgun club.
    We wanted to remove the modern "Sword of Damocles" hanging over our heads out here. Yes, residents in Pal Val have been shooting on their properties for many years, blissfully ignorant of County Code 50.092. While unlikely that a Sheriff's deputy would charge someone for violation of this little-known code, the possibility exists that a person could be charged with a violation. We wanted to change that. That, and the fact that the distances within the code were not appropriate for very large parcels sizes that are typical of this area. There's more behind it, but that's the essence.
    So at what point between digging the ditch you’re told to dig, and being shot into it, are you going to fight back?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Justin
    Excellent news! Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mitch
    Quote Originally Posted by InFineRegemus View Post
    We wanted to remove the modern "Sword of Damocles" hanging over our heads out here. Yes, residents in Pal Val have been shooting on their properties for many years, blissfully ignorant of County Code 50.092. While unlikely that a Sheriff's deputy would charge someone for violation of this little-known code, the possibility exists that a person could be charged with a violation. We wanted to change that. That, and the fact that the distances within the code were not appropriate for very large parcels sizes that are typical of this area. There's more behind it, but that's the essence.
    Great work, I'd always rather have the laws match what I already plan to do.

Back to testing targets in the back yard.
    www.moatargets.com High class steel targets at low class prices.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Hell yeah!!!! That's awesome, good news that our county is willing to move lines.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

20. The Following User Likes jfrey123's Post:

ke33star (August 9th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    New shooting restricted ares marked in yellow.

https://www.washoecounty.us/bcc/boar...6-07-12/19.pdf

22. The Following User Likes DirtyChemist's Post:

unreng (July 14th, 2016)

Real Name
    Kent
    FYI:

New Washoe County shooting congested area maps and FAQ:
    http://www.washoesheriff.com/sub.php...discharge-maps
    http://www.washoesheriff.com/resourc...07_12_2016.pdf

Washoe County ordinance effective 7/22/2016:
    https://www.washoecounty.us/clerks/c...ances/1581.pdf

Links to other shooting regulations:
    https://www.facebook.com/PeavineTrai...82332435120138

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John

Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

Those Peavine Trail Safety guys can go suck eggs...

Pretending they want to be reasonable, work with shooters and promote safety on Peavine, then you look at the new ordinance boundaries and the very popular and very safe area east of Eagle Canyon Dr before the Indian Colony ends up off limits. This is an area that was designated as shooting, with WC signs reminding shooters to be safe and pack out their trash. No reason for it to be shut down. I can't wait to see the next area these anti-gun assholes decide to start advocating to be taken away with their false and dramatized stories of bullets whizzing past their ears.
    Last edited by jfrey123; August 9th, 2016 at 12:54 PM.

25. The Following User Likes jfrey123's Post:

CashMoney (August 9th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Those Peavine Trail Safety guys can go suck eggs...

Pretending they want to be reasonable, work with shooters and promote safety on Peavine, then you look at the new ordinance boundaries and the very popular and very safe area east of Eagle Canyon Dr before the Indian Colony ends up off limits. This is an area that was designated as shooting, with WC signs reminding shooters to be safe and pack out their trash. No reason for it to be shut down. I can't wait to see the next area these anti-gun assholes decide to start advocating to be taken away with their false and dramatized stories of bullets whizzing past their ears.
    I had mentioned that area in one of my posts BECAUSE it is so popular. I'm not sure why the area was included with the "Peavine" land closure other than it was on the agenda and if they were going to get it closed now was the time. It will still get filled with junk AND bullet casings since people will continue to shoot there even with the signs posted. I never thought it was a problem up there other than the homes way off in the distance who might not like hearing the shooting but I doubted that forever.

They also closed off the area in South Reno behind the old Sage Hill area. Doesn't matter since cops never went out there, the gate is FAWKED and no one cares until cops start enforcing it at which point the currently posted congested signs will get shot and MORE people will complain about land being closed.

Real Name
    Kent
    Scott and John,

The Peavine Trail Safety group advocated for changes on Peavine Mountain, only. The county commissioners and staff chose to modify other congested area boundaries around the county. We don't know why they selected specific areas, except what the staff ordinance proposal stated: "The proposed County Code amendment will extend the boundary of the Washoe County "congested area" where uncontrolled discharge of firearms is not permitted as it would result in the greatest risk of injury to life and limb. Due to increased construction activity, annexations by the City of Reno, and implementation of planned outdoor recreation trails and roadways, the current congested area boundary has been determined to be inadequate."

I can only surmise that commissioners were receiving complaints about other areas from constituents, but it wasn't from or through us at www.Facebook.com/PeavineTrailSafety. As far as Eagle Canyon Drive is concerned, the future development slated for that area will likely make it off-limits in any case.

Everyone had equal opportunity to make their views about the new boundaries known in public comment. It is indeed "good news that our county is willing to move lines" in response to community input.

-Kent

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John

Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

Well, your own FB page posts demonstrate your group did, in fact, advocate for closures beyond just Peavine Mountain. Further, the fact you demonstrate knowledge of a future development near the area of my concern demonstrates you aren't just concerning yourself with affairs on Peavine.

It is, indeed, good news when the congested area lines can be moved in the name of public safety. But for groups like yours to push for change where no danger exists just demonstrates your intolerance and goal of total recreational shooting ban (something else that's called for by your FB followers frequently enough). I didn't have a problem with you guys when you were talking about just Peavine issues, but now a legitimate safe spot has been closed. If it could've been an issue in the future, it should've been left to a future meeting. I'll be eager to see what problems your group finds to complain about in the future, and I hope more people learn to oppose you.

Last edited by jfrey123; August 10th, 2016 at 08:38 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    More proof is posting articles about the Shooting Range fire in Storey county. It has nothing to do with peavine OR a shooting range yet your own Facebook page talked it up like it was.

Real Name
    Kent

Washoe County Congested Areas

Great that you guys are following our FB site. For the topic of this thread: A new Congested Area map was posted yesterday by the county at: http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/Fire...strictions.pdf (if you downloaded this recently, refresh your browser cache)

Unfortunately, this map doesn't include all areas in the county where shooting is shooting is prohibited: Nevada State Parks, Washoe County Parks, tribal land, and near buildings. The old map included the circles (1000ft prohibited, 5000ft restricted) around buildings, which is helpful for the rural developed areas. I have a pdf copy of the old map that I could upload here as an archive here if someone can let me know how to do that.