Wheeler
    Real Name
    Robert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car sales

Tired of my job, no opportunity here. Wondering if there are any salesman here that are on commission only. I have a family of 2 with a child on the way.

I put in an app and they do 25% commission on sales, is it a wise decision to try and do it or should I look for something hourly? It sounds good and all, set schedule and what not but I don't want to leave my current job for something that will leave my family struggling. I am also the only provider of income.

Any input on this at all would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,
    Robert

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to make sure you get a base salary if you don't sell anything .I know some places will pay a base for a certain amount of time until you are considered trained . I would be afraid of sales at this point in time . Especially in NV. with this economy ! good luck

3. The Following User Likes willys dave's Post:

87 T4r (May 14th, 2013)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Robert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willys dave View Post
    You might want to make sure you get a base salary if you don't sell anything .I know some places will pay a base for a certain amount of time until you are considered trained . I would be afraid of sales at this point in time . Especially in NV. with this economy ! good luck
    Thank you for your input, that's definitely something to go over with them if I do an interview. I was thinking the same thing with the economy, but my current job is a dead end and is taking all my extra time from my family.

I hate job searching haha!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willys dave View Post
    I know when I sold cars at Carson City Toyota and you didn't sell anything for the month you made minimum wage and if that continued into next month they would let you go unless everyone was like that. I know at Dick Campangi's lots they usually do a $2000-2500 sign on bonus while you train. If you are able to talk to people then yea car sales is a good place, but if you are quiet, shy, and reserve like myself then it is not a good place. My dad has been selling cars for 18 years now and is a new car sales manager.
    Keep your head up, it makes it easier for life to punch you in the face!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Work in progress...

http://www.carsoncrawlers.com/cc/

6. The Following User Likes LandCruiser18's Post:

87 T4r (May 14th, 2013)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Robert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandCruiser18 View Post
    I know when I sold cars at Carson City Toyota and you didn't sell anything for the month you made minimum wage and if that continued into next month they would let you go unless everyone was like that. I know at Dick Campangi's lots they usually do a $2000-2500 sign on bonus while you train. If you are able to talk to people then yea car sales is a good place, but if you are quiet, shy, and reserve like myself then it is not a good place. My dad has been selling cars for 18 years now and is a new car sales manager.
    This is at Fallon auto mall, I'm a little hesitant because I wouldn't think they see the same type of traffic as Reno or Carson. I sell commercial truck tires so I'm not that terrible at talking with people but the most I've ever sold on was $8000, I'm sure it's different when you are selling someone on 30 grand.

I can try talking to them more, I'm almost ready to take a fast food job to cut the commute out of my work!

... Well maybe not fast food haha.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked as a sales guy with a dealership in Reno and it was 25% commission only. You got retro-pay at minimum wage if you did not sell a car for 14 days. It wasn't great, but it was incentive to sell cars. Unfortunately, my dealership refused to sell cars people actually wanted, so needless to say, my stay at that dealership was short.

9. The Following User Likes Vigilante's Post:

87 T4r (May 14th, 2013)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Josh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 T4r View Post
    This is at Fallon auto mall, I'm a little hesitant because I wouldn't think they see the same type of traffic as Reno or Carson. I sell commercial truck tires so I'm not that terrible at talking with people but the most I've ever sold on was $8000, I'm sure it's different when you are selling someone on 30 grand.

I can try talking to them more, I'm almost ready to take a fast food job to cut the commute out of my work!

... Well maybe not fast food haha.
    I was thinking the same thing when I was working at the prison. I was about to take damn near anything. I wanted out of the state government and the prison system
    Keep your head up, it makes it easier for life to punch you in the face!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Work in progress...

http://www.carsoncrawlers.com/cc/

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Robert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
    I worked as a sales guy with a dealership in Reno and it was 25% commission only. You got retro-pay at minimum wage if you did not sell a car for 14 days. It wasn't great, but it was incentive to sell cars. Unfortunately, my dealership refused to sell cars people actually wanted, so needless to say, my stay at that dealership was short.
    I only considered this place because I love Toyotas haha. They sell them and ford's so some people should want those.

I guess every place will be different so I'll have to hash out the details with them if the time comes.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Robert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandCruiser18 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing when I was working at the prison. I was about to take damn near anything. I wanted out of the state government and the prison system
    Ohhhhhh believe me, I know your pain!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Conrad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell me that's 25% of the over cost amount and not 25% of the sale.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it's 25% of "profit" made on vehicle. That why dealerships don't like selling vehicles too near their purchase price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitosin View Post
    You probably forgot to tighten up the thingy on the do-hickey that controlls the thing-a-ma-bob!! Did you check the turn signal fluid and the air in your radiator??
    Quote Originally Posted by haasecv View Post
    comparing a honda to a jeep is like poison ivy to toliet paper

15. The Following User Likes wishfulthinker's Post:

87 T4r (May 15th, 2013)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one thing I would add if you do do this; is spend the time and know more about the car your selling than the person buying it. If I was a sales person I would spend the down time I had at the dealership learning about the individual cars, models that you sell and dissect them

17. The Following User Likes tahoe1028's Post:

wishfulthinker (May 15th, 2013)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brigitta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband was in sales for years. You better get a good understanding of their pay system. No one gets a straight 25% commission. They always add "pack" to that. Basically the "pack" is the fees incurred to keep inventory on the lot. It usually is a flat percentage deducted from your commission. So you may get 25% commission but have 10% pack so that drops you down to 15%. Plus they'll often have a list of other expenses that get deducted from your commission.
    Also it's not uncommon to be paid minimum wage if you don't sell anything during a 2 week pay period , but if you sell something by the end of the month they might take the minimum wage back out to the next check because you sold something for the month.
    I know quite a few car and RV sales men who made very comfortable 6 figure incomes "back in the day" (pre 2006), but all left the industry when bonuses were removed, "packs" got too high, and commissions where replaced with "minis". (Minimum guaranteed amount of $ per sale, many have gone to about $100).
    Car sales are feast or famine, more money is made in used than new. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some savings to live off of until you figure out if your any good at it.

Some more info here:
    http://www.empowernetwork.com/andrew...mission-plans/

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are good at selling things, work for your self.
    Buy a car and sell it.
    Do it again.
    Do it again.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLittle View Post
    If you are good at selling things, work for your self.
    Buy a car and sell it.
    Do it again.
    Do it again.
    Just be sure to get a dealers license. Or keep your head down and cover it with hot butter.

It is illegal to sell more than three personally-owned vehicles per year without a dealer's license.
    http://www.dmvnv.com/regprivate.htm

I imaging you could never put a title in your name and somewhat skirt the system. Maybe. There are people on here that have been doing it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Madison
    “What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.”

KG7DLY

21. The Following User Likes carbonunit's Post:

Brigitta (May 22nd, 2013)

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoe1028 View Post
    one thing I would add if you do do this; is spend the time and know more about the car your selling than the person buying it. If I was a sales person I would spend the down time I had at the dealership learning about the individual cars, models that you sell and dissect them
    Nothing irked me more than the sales people for both vehicles I've bought NEW, not even knowing the basic data about the vehicles that the dealership had in the handouts.

23. The Following User Likes Ranger's Post:

Rollbar (May 23rd, 2013)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/co...-salesman.html This is a long article I read a couple weeks ago, but it's pretty neat.

I don't sell cars, but my pay is about 60% commission, 40% salary. Slow months suck, but good months are awesome.
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for steady employment the car industry might not be what you want especially in Fallon-I'm sure their turnover is high. I hardly ever see anyone there in sales, maybe one or two.

Personally, I would not go to work at the car dealership in Fallon-it is Fallon, not Reno etc.

If you want consistency, and want to work in Fallon (again, not much to pick from for a career) then you may want to work at Walmart, Walgreens (my daughter works at Walgreens and they just took in some applications) or Maverick (my other daughter is the store director at Maverick, not sure there is an opening but I can ask). It's up to you but don't count on much here as you might already know.

P.S. Briggitta is 100% right, you sell a car, they deduct, you don't sell for a while, you are gone.
    CJ8 Build
    Street2Mud Gallery
    Street2Mud Forum

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Robert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    If you are looking for steady employment the car industry might not be what you want especially in Fallon-I'm sure their turnover is high. I hardly ever see anyone there in sales, maybe one or two.

Personally, I would not go to work at the car dealership in Fallon-it is Fallon, not Reno etc.

If you want consistency, and want to work in Fallon (again, not much to pick from for a career) then you may want to work at Walmart, Walgreens (my daughter works at Walgreens and they just took in some applications) or Maverick (my other daughter is the store director at Maverick, not sure there is an opening but I can ask). It's up to you but don't count on much here as you might already know.

P.S. Briggitta is 100% right, you sell a car, they deduct, you don't sell for a while, you are gone.
    I agree with all of that haha. After reading all of this I'd have to turn it down.

Very true about it being in Fallon, not close to the amount of traffic as Reno would get.

I'm picky about work since I have a job that I am very good at, I don't want to leave one bad job to go to another.

Thank you all for the advice and information, it helped my decision!