Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Frontier Mid Travel Build & Trail Pics

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
    When are you going in May? I'll be up in Moab in May too with a big group of Yota guys
    I'll be there the 17th through the 22nd for a Nissan event.
    Running on water and hamsters.

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Cool, we'll be up there the week after. I think we're leaving the 24th and driving half way then picking up the next morning and rolling in Monday afternoon. Taking the slow/scenic ride there and camping along the way.
    Relentless off-road Fabrication | Sparks NV | 775-200-0544
    Fabricator of high quality off-road armor, 4x4 accessories, and more!
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
    Cool, we'll be up there the week after. I think we're leaving the 24th and driving half way then picking up the next morning and rolling in Monday afternoon. Taking the slow/scenic ride there and camping along the way.
    Sounds like a good way to do it. I'm cramming as much travel into as short of a time as possible. I'll be doing the whole drive back in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    I was wondering what happen to you Jenn. Truck is looking good welcome back.
    Yeah, I have a way of occasionally mostly disappearing and then coming back. I plan on making some more runs after this weekend. The wheeling bug is biting pretty hard at the moment.

Real Name
    Jenn
    I tested out my new gears and lockers on a Dolores run yesterday. Between the IFS and the long wheelbase, I took pansy lines most of the way...but the truck did make it all the way through. A couple short years ago, something like this would have been completely out of the question for this truck.

I'm really pleased with the difference that the gears and the front locker make. This trail felt much easier than I would have expected and I had very little trouble getting through any of it. Before the recent upgrades, I probably would have roasted my clutch attempting this.

I got a new battle scar in the form of a raisined bed side when the truck dropped down hard onto a big boulder. It sucked but I didn't let it ruin my day. Gears, lockers and mid travel suspension are awfully fun toys and I'm sure it will happen again.

5. The Following 4 Users Like WennJR's Post:

grumpyoldretiredcop (March 23rd, 2015), jfrey123 (March 23rd, 2015), Mazzif (March 23rd, 2015), Mr_Scott (March 23rd, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    chance
    Time for a longtravel kit!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alexander
    What lift did you use? I'm still researching lifts for my Xterra.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconthomas View Post
    What lift did you use? I'm still researching lifts for my Xterra.
    I have Radflo 2.0's that I bought used from PRG, along with PRG 1" top plate spacers, PRG Titan UCA's, and Titan LCA's from Rock Auto.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Time for some more trail pics...

I did a trip through Eldorado Canyon a few weeks ago and I guess I never posted any pics or vids. This time around, I decided to give the exit trench a shot. First vid is from the top; second is from my spotter's perspective. With both ends locked and decent suspension travel, it was a piece of cake.

10. The Following User Likes WennJR's Post:

jfrey123 (May 26th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    And now the good stuff...

I just got back from an incredible week at Moab. I will have a couple vids to post later. In the meantime, here are some pics.

The trails I ran:

Top of the World:

Hell's Revenge:

Hell's Gate (optional obstacle on Hell's Revenge - common site for rollovers):

12. The Following 4 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Deluxxx (May 25th, 2015), jfrey123 (May 26th, 2015), maxamillion2345 (May 25th, 2015), McNasty (May 26th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Flat Iron Mesa:

Steel Bender:

Metal Masher:

I'll post my vids from Hell's Gate and the drop on Steel Bender as soon as I get my hands on them.

14. The Following 9 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Bitosin (May 26th, 2015), Deluxxx (May 25th, 2015), Dirty Harry (May 26th, 2015), grumpyoldretiredcop (May 25th, 2015), maxamillion2345 (May 25th, 2015), McNasty (May 26th, 2015), mjrsfj40 (May 25th, 2015), Mr_Scott (May 26th, 2015), Toyota_James (May 26th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Very cool trip looks like you had a lot fun. I should be going there next year....we will see

16. The Following User Likes Shawn Trooper's Post:

WennJR (May 25th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    decENT!

18. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

WennJR (May 25th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Hell's Gate

20. The Following 3 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Bitosin (May 26th, 2015), grumpyoldretiredcop (May 26th, 2015), McNasty (May 26th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Steel Bender. The first 90 seconds are boring...start watching at 1:30.

22. The Following 5 Users Like WennJR's Post:

grumpyoldretiredcop (May 26th, 2015), jfrey123 (May 26th, 2015), McNasty (May 26th, 2015), mjrsfj40 (May 29th, 2015), Toyota_James (May 26th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Greg
    That looks like a fun trip. So how long did you stay? Camp or motel?
    Its just a road with a few rocks, keep driving!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bill
    Nice to see you on here again Jenn...Great Moab pics, I love that place.
    KF7QZO

Not a lot...just a bit-'o-sin

Organizing Sunday runs since March of 2011

Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

25. The Following User Likes Bitosin's Post:

WennJR (May 26th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x Adventurer View Post
    That looks like a fun trip. So how long did you stay? Camp or motel?
    I was there for a week and stayed in a condo.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitosin View Post
    Nice to see you on here again Jenn...Great Moab pics, I love that place.
    It was my first time there. I loved it...definitely going back next year.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    very nice job on the truck! Looks nearly stock, but sure isn't!
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

29. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

WennJR (May 26th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
    very nice job on the truck! Looks nearly stock, but sure isn't!
    It's actually 4.5"F/3.5"R taller than yours (3.5"F/2.5"R from suspension, 1" from tires), but these damn things come so low from the factory that they need oodles of lift before they actually look "not stock."

And you wouldn't be able to get a stock Frontier through most of what I did. After my climb up Hell's Gate, somebody called my truck the "biggest sleeper truck out here."

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Quote Originally Posted by WennJR View Post
    It's actually 4.5"F/3.5"R taller than yours (3.5"F/2.5"R from suspension, 1" from tires), but these damn things come so low from the factory that they need oodles of lift before they actually look "not stock."

And you wouldn't be able to get a stock Frontier through most of what I did. After my climb up Hell's Gate, somebody called my truck the "biggest sleeper truck out here."
    Sold mine.. and it was 2wd also ;-). But I agree, your truck is one nice sleeper...
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

32. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

WennJR (May 26th, 2015)

Real Name
    John
    Just checked out this thread. I must say im amazed by the photos and videos.

34. The Following User Likes OffroaderJohn's Post:

WennJR (May 27th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    A couple more from Hell's Gate...

36. The Following User Likes WennJR's Post:

jfrey123 (May 28th, 2015)

Real Name
    Jenn
    I haven't updated this thread in a while, but in light of my wheeling trip over this past weekend, this seems as good a time as any. Bear with me as I play catch up...this update will get better at the end.

Last summer I made two little upgrades to the truck. I ditched the crappy AAL/block lift that I had in the rear and added an upgraded leaf pack along with longer shackles. Then I took the truck to Samco Fabrication and asked them to add some additional quarter panel protection and reinforcement to the existing rear bumper. They did a fantastic job. I have really put this bumper to the test and it has held up great...more on that later.

I go wheeling a whole lot, year round (I've logged 28 trail days so far this year). One of my most memorable trips from this past winter was a snow run from Lockwood to Virginia City. I was leading the trip and so my truck was responsible for breaking trail. Past the petroglyphs, there was a constant 12-18" of snow on the ground with 2'+ high drifts in places. At 10 psi with both ends locked, my truck plowed right through all of it.

In May, I decided it was time for a tire upgrade. I loved my Duratracs but had reservations about the sidewall integrity. I had some big plans for my truck later in the year and wanted something that offered excellent traction but were a bit tougher. After much research, I decided on KO2s. I have put these trails through a lot over the past 4 months, and I've been really happy with them.

Later that month, I made my second trip to Moab. I took it a bit easier this time but the trails were still a lot of fun. This year's itinerary included Tip Toe Behind the Rocks, Seven Mile Rim (loved this trail) and Fins N Things.

Over the summer, I did a lot more trips. Nothing really worthy of digging up pics for, but my favorite trips were the Gold Valley/Gold Lake/Deer Lake/Sierra Buttes trails and a trip to some ghost towns near Mina.

More in next post...

38. The Following 2 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Dennis (September 13th, 2016), Dirty Harry (September 21st, 2016)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Now for the good stuff...

This past weekend, I achieved my ultimate goal with this rig, that being the completion of the Rubicon Trail. I ran the trail with a group of 5 other Nissans, but I was the smallest in the group - the only one on 33 inch tires.

At various places along the trail, we ran across people who seemed to think we were out of our minds. Some well intentioned souls cautioned us not to continue (for example, we were advised not to run Big Sluice because it was "really torn up"...I actually couldn't tell you just how torn up Big Sluice is because the sun set well before we reached it and we ended up running it in the pitch black). But this was a bucket list item for all of us and so we ignored the warnings and pressed on. My group started at Loon Lake at about 8:30 am, reached Rubicon Springs around 9:30 pm, camped overnight, and hit the pavement near Tahoma by 2:00 the following day.

In case you are wondering how my little Nissan pickup on 33s fared on the Rubicon, my answer is: probably better than you think. I did utilize a spotter for the hairier sections, but my truck got through the first 99.99999% of the trail under its own power. I made it all the way to the very last freaking obstacle on the whole trail before I got hung up badly enough to need my winch. There was no mechanical damage on this trip, and the only cosmetic blemish I added was a little rock rash to one rear fender.

This was an incredible trip and overall I'm pretty pleased with how my little truck performed.

Here are a bunch of pics, and I may have more to add later. This set includes a shot of me being high centered on the very last obstacle, my victory photo upon completing the trail, and a pic of the only damage that my truck received (those three pics are in the next post).

Last edited by WennJR; September 13th, 2016 at 06:24 AM.

40. The Following 7 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Deluxxx (September 13th, 2016), Dennis (September 13th, 2016), grumpyoldretiredcop (September 13th, 2016), jfrey123 (September 13th, 2016), RelentlessTaco (September 13th, 2016), Sierra Valley (September 14th, 2016), Squirrel Cage (September 13th, 2016)