Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Frontier Mid Travel Build & Trail Pics

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Jenn

Nissan Frontier Mid Travel Build & Trail Pics

Hey guys. I used to be a lot more active here a couple years ago, but not so much anymore. But I kinda want to change that and reintroduce myself and show you some of the changes I've made to my truck. Some of you may remember me from Bill's Sunday runs as the timid woman with the shiny stockish truck with an aversion to pinstriping and no freaking clue where any of the parts on my truck were even located. I am no longer that person. Anyway, I dig the "unique" builds that I see on this forum. This is my contribution.

I am building this truck as a general purpose trail rig capable enough to not have to turn back when the going gets tough. It's not a dedicated crawler and never will be, but I'm already pretty pleased with what I've been able to do with it. We've had some fun adventures together (pics below). It might surprise some of you who knew me "back in the day" to know that I do the majority of work on this truck myself (modifications, repairs, maintenance). This truck has taught me a lot!

Onto the build... Here is my current list of modifications.

Specs: 2009 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 6-speed manual

Suspension and Tires: Up front, I am running aftermarket UCA's meant for a Nissan Titan along with Radflo coilovers. Down travel on an IFS vehicle is known for being limited, but this setup gives me roughly 3 times the down travel that I would have with a standard lift kit. Because the UCA's are longer than the ones that came on my truck, I also have Titan LCA's and I have extended the CV axles, tie rods and brake lines. In the rear, I am running upgraded leaf springs with longer shackles. Tires are 285/75/16 BFG KO2s. The truck sits roughly 5" over stock up front (4" from suspension, 1" from tires).

Drivetrain (UPDATED 3/9/15): Titan front differential, 4.56 gears (stock was 3.54), and ARB lockers front and rear.

Armor: The truck has a custom winch bumper, a rear tube bumper with custom quarter panel protection (thanks Samco), custom sliders, a full set of steel skid plates and some beefy rear shock mounts (thanks Shinobi).

I purchased this truck brand new in 2009. This is a picture of how it looked stock:

And how it sits today:

Here are some trail run pics. These are more or less in chronological order and start off with the truck running little more than a standard 2.5" lift kit. You can watch the truck grow up as you scroll down.

Wind Caves - winter 2012

Gold Mountain trail at Big Bear - March 2012

Eldorado Canyon - February 2013
    This is one of my favorite local trails and I've run it about half a dozen times now. It seems that each time I go, I try a new creek bed section that I hadn't tried previously. This trail has given me more new dents than any other.
    Last edited by WennJR; September 13th, 2016 at 05:09 AM.
    Running on water and hamsters.

2. The Following 6 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Bitosin (July 5th, 2014), Dennis (July 6th, 2014), Dirty Harry (July 4th, 2014), Gizmatical Fuquad (July 4th, 2014), grumpyoldretiredcop (July 4th, 2014), Mr_Scott (July 6th, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bald Mountain (three different trips) - December 2012, June 2013, August 2013
    This trail is located in central California. There are three routes to the top - an easy trail, a medium trail and a hard trail. I always take the "hard" way up.

Trench below Steve's Loop/Wind Caves - September 2013
    Just showing off my "spotting from the driver's seat" technique

The next round of pics were taken after I did a suspension upgrade. I added stock Titan control arms to the existing lift kit for a little extra down travel and a much smoother ride. I actually lost a little bit of lift here - sitting at about 2" front and rear.

Prozac Canyon/Nightingale - February 2014

Jumbo Grade - March 2014

Real Name
    Jenn
    Next pics are after the last suspension upgrade. This is where I upgraded to aftermarket arms and real coilovers for lots of extra travel and lift.

Last Chance Canyon (Mojave Desert) - April 2014

Eldorado Canyon - May 2014
    Lots more creek bed action this time around.

And the last big addition...the custom winch bumper.

Dog Valley - June 2014

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by WennJR; July 4th, 2014 at 07:58 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Bitosin (July 5th, 2014), Gizmatical Fuquad (July 4th, 2014)

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Nicely done! Both rig and the driving!
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

7. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Clean little truck. Almost picked up a frontier when i was shopping for my colorado
    Chevy colorado solid axle swap build~ Rado Crawler - The Begining

9. The Following User Likes xkmacx86's Post:

WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Michael
    Nice truck ! Well done on the build. Simple, yet drivable and effective. Keep up the pictures!

11. The Following User Likes mjrsfj40's Post:

WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Glen
    Very nice rig! It was the difficulty with upgrading the IFS that convinced me to buy a project Jeep instead of tackling the job of upgrading my 02 Frontier. You've accomplished the task in an impressive fashion. Hope I see you on the trail somewhere, I'd really like to get a look at what you've accomplished!

13. The Following User Likes grumpyoldretiredcop's Post:

WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    Very nice rig! It was the difficulty with upgrading the IFS that convinced me to buy a project Jeep instead of tackling the job of upgrading my 02 Frontier. You've accomplished the task in an impressive fashion. Hope I see you on the trail somewhere, I'd really like to get a look at what you've accomplished!
    Thanks. There was a time that I almost did the same thing, but I decided to build the truck I love instead. One of my big deciding factors was that I like to wheel in cool new places that are outside of Reno. I don't want to have to worry about a "project rig" breaking down 500 miles from home.

The suspension upgrades are easier on the 2nd gen Frontiers. You couldn't bolt Titan parts onto your 1st gen...I don't think you have many options (if any) between a torsion bar crank and a SAS.

You might see it someday. I've been keeping an eye on the Sunday runs.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    That front bumper looks great! Who made it???

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alexander
    Glad to hear from you again Jenn! Last time we were on a run together, you popped your oil pan at the petroglyphs east of V.C. That was back from I had that black TJ. Now I've got the Xterra in a manual too! You've done exactly what I'm planning on doing with my X so I'll be asking for tips here and there once I've saved up for parts.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    That front bumper looks great! Who made it???
    Thanks. It was actually made by a friend of mine in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconthomas View Post
    Glad to hear from you again Jenn! Last time we were on a run together, you popped your oil pan at the petroglyphs east of V.C. That was back from I had that black TJ. Now I've got the Xterra in a manual too! You've done exactly what I'm planning on doing with my X so I'll be asking for tips here and there once I've saved up for parts.
    Lol...oh yeah, that run. I think that's the day I realized I needed to start learning how to fix my own shit.

I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have.

18. The Following 2 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Gizmatical Fuquad (July 4th, 2014), maxamillion2345 (July 4th, 2014)

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Truck looks awesome.
    www.DrSmash.com
    Custom 4x4's,Hot Rods 2 wheels and 4.
    6369 Hwy 50 east #3 Carson City ,NV 884-4947 (4x4s)

20. The Following User Likes Dr Smash's Post:

WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    She decided to fix her own shit after the Kia towed her home from that oil pan incident... (The pavement portion of her long tow that day anyway lol)

The rig has come a long ways! I'm envious. Probably one of the most cost effective ways to get a long travel IFS on a truck and still keep great road manners.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

22. The Following User Likes jfrey123's Post:

WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    The coolest thing here is that a chick decided to learn to upgrade and fix her own shit. Keep it up Jenn!
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

24. The Following 4 Users Like Gizmatical Fuquad's Post:

Bitosin (July 5th, 2014), Rubiconthomas (July 4th, 2014), Toyota_James (July 7th, 2014), WennJR (July 4th, 2014)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Decent...

35s

26. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

Mr_Scott (July 6th, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    35s
    We'll see. So far I haven't done anything that I "needed" 35's for.

28. The Following User Likes WennJR's Post:

maxamillion2345 (July 5th, 2014)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bill
    Good to hear from you again Jenn. I've missed you on the Sunday runs. If you have a suggestion, or a favorite trail you'd like to share, let me know.

The truck is looking great too.
    KF7QZO

Not a lot...just a bit-'o-sin

Organizing Sunday runs since March of 2011

Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

30. The Following User Likes Bitosin's Post:

WennJR (July 5th, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitosin View Post
    Good to hear from you again Jenn. I've missed you on the Sunday runs. If you have a suggestion, or a favorite trail you'd like to share, let me know.
    Glad you chimed in, Bill. I'm booked for the next couple Sundays, but I will certainly do that in the near future.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    Lookin good Jenn! Sure has come a long way!

33. The Following User Likes Squirrel Cage's Post:

WennJR (July 6th, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    A few pics from some wheeling trips in July and August. Yep...I rack up a lot of miles on this thing playing on the weekends.

Pine Grove Hills near Yerington. (Trip report: http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...ne-Grove-Hills)

Hollister Hills SVRA in CA

Kings Canyon near Carson City (Trip report: http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...on-trip-report)

Buttermilk Road near Bishop (Trip report: http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...milk-Road-Pics)

Slick Rock Road in CA

35. The Following 2 Users Like WennJR's Post:

jfrey123 (September 2nd, 2014), xkmacx86 (September 2nd, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    A few pics from a recent Schoolbus Canyon run:

Top of Peavine at sunset:

37. The Following 3 Users Like WennJR's Post:

braindead0 (September 21st, 2014), jfrey123 (September 22nd, 2014), Mr_Scott (September 21st, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    I have a couple little projects in the works right now. A few weeks ago I picked this up:

This is the front differential off a Nissan Titan. The front diff on the Frontiers is known for being a weak point, and the Titan diff is significantly stronger. In the next few months, I'll acquire the rest of the parts that I'll need to regear to 4.56's and install ARB's front and rear. (I've had the Spartan locker for 3 years now and I'm pretty happy with it, but if I'm tearing apart the rear diff anyway, a selectable only makes sense.)

Another small project...I tore off the driver side mirror on a trail run a couple of weeks ago. So now I'm in the process of replacing both side mirrors with heated ones. Why simply replace when you can upgrade, right?

And some trail pics...

Rocky Gap Road near Vegas last weekend:

Peavine on Saturday:

39. The Following 4 Users Like WennJR's Post:

grumpyoldretiredcop (November 3rd, 2014), jfrey123 (November 3rd, 2014), mjrsfj40 (November 3rd, 2014), Mr_Scott (November 3rd, 2014)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Just a little update...

The truck has spent the better part of the past 3 months being down for upgrades. My last real wheeling trip was to Prairie City in December. Pic:

Shortly after that trip, the rest of my goodies for the gear and locker project arrived. What started off as an attempt to do all of this in a garage during some sporadic evenings ultimately led to me losing patience and dropping the truck off at Bayshore (who I was initially not impressed with, but they ended up making things right in the end). I now have a Titan front differential with an ARB locker, 4.56's (stock was 3.54), and a rear ARB to replace the old auto locker. I'm about 350 miles into the break in period on the new gears, and they feel pretty dang good compared to what I had before. By the end of the week, I should be able to change out the fluids and actually use the thing off road again. I'm used to wheeling at least once or twice a month (sometimes more), so this has been a very long 3 months.

I have a trip to Moab coming up in May, which I'm pretty excited about. It will be my first time going.

41. The Following 7 Users Like WennJR's Post:

Deluxxx (March 9th, 2015), Dennis (March 9th, 2015), Dirty Harry (March 9th, 2015), grumpyoldretiredcop (March 10th, 2015), Mr_Scott (March 9th, 2015), RelentlessTaco (March 9th, 2015), Squirrel Cage (March 9th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    I was wondering what happen to you Jenn. Truck is looking good welcome back.

43. The Following User Likes Shawn Trooper's Post:

WennJR (March 9th, 2015)

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    When are you going in May? I'll be up in Moab in May too with a big group of Yota guys
    Relentless off-road Fabrication | Sparks NV | 775-200-0544
    Fabricator of high quality off-road armor, 4x4 accessories, and more!
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube