Thread: CCW wait time

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know what the deal is with the wait times? I'm at 103 days and my old permit expired a long time ago. I can pass a background check to purchase a firearm any day of the week. This seems obscene and is a delay/infringement on my rights to carry (2A), other counties in this state are issuing a lot faster. I'd like to know what the problem is and right now it seems like it's Chuck Allen, the guy in charge. When is he up for re-election?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    120 days is Washoe max for permit issue so you're close. Pretty sure it is only a misdemeanor to carry when waiting for permit renewal as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard from others similar wait times right now. Nevada law is 120 days from the day you submit so they're getting close. I'm not sure what their process is or how many people they have working on it but it seems like there could be room for improvement in their workflow.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will wait the 120 days. I got mine exactly on the 120Th day.

good idea is to apply early so the permit expires when or near the new one is authorized...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowedave76 View Post
    I'd like to know what the problem is and right now it seems like it's Chuck Allen, the guy in charge. When is he up for re-election?
    This thread, and the long wait times, started way before Sheriff Allen took charge, and he's a strong friend of the 2A crowd. He was just elected last year, he was a FAR better choice regarding gun rights than his rival, so lay off the whole "when's he up for reelection" rhetoric.

The background check they run for CCW is deeper than the one that happens when you do a 4473 at a gun shop. I don't know the exact specifics, but I know the state had to add a new process to the mental health criteria required on renewals in order for us CCW permit holders to retain our exemptions when buying from a dealer (we lost that for almost a year back in 2013ish). There are multiple levels to the check, and I've read the process 10-20 permit requests a day at Parr Blvd. So since your application 103 days ago, they've had between 700-1,400 additional applications come in since (approx 7 weeks, 10-20 a day for 5 days, etc). I'm sorry to hear your old permit expired long before you re-applied, but that's on you. They're given 120 days by statute, and until we get constitutional carry adopted by the legislature, 120 days for a permit they're required to issue to qualified people isn't that big of a deal.
    Last edited by jfrey123; September 16th, 2016 at 09:26 PM.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Vendor
    Real Name
    sharon(male)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not totally true..... UT by state statute has a 60 day tun time (half than NV) with a cost of $37!!! That's nearly third the cost of NV..... Hint hint....
    ** Quality Firearms for competitive prices, with the best customer service by ret. Law Enforcement & Combat military Veterans (U.S & IDF)**

MaccabeeArms.com

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    This thread, and the long wait times, started way before Sheriff Allen took charge, and he's a strong friend of the 2A crowd. He was just elected last year, he was a FAR better choice regarding gun rights than his rival, so lay off the whole "when's he up for reelection" rhetoric.

The background check they run for CCW is deeper than the one that happens when you do a 4473 at a gun shop. I don't know the exact specifics, but I know the state had to add a new process to the mental health criteria required on renewals in order for us CCW permit holders to retain our exemptions when buying from a dealer (we lost that for almost a year back in 2013ish). There are multiple levels to the check, and I've read the process 10-20 permit requests a day at Parr Blvd. So since your application 103 days ago, they've had between 700-1,400 additional applications come in since (approx 7 weeks, 10-20 a day for 5 days, etc). I'm sorry to hear your old permit expired long before you re-applied, but that's on you. They're given 120 days by statute, and until we get constitutional carry adopted by the legislature, 120 days for a permit they're required to issue to qualified people isn't that big of a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
    That's not totally true..... UT by state statute has a 60 day tun time (half than NV) with a cost of $37!!! That's nearly third the cost of NV..... Hint hint....

This exactly.

My last one expired after I applied for a renewal. Not long, and yes it was my fault. I was working and kept putting it off. I had a valid permit at the time of renewal. You would think it would be a no-brainer and the fingerprints/FBI stuff doesn't take 100+ days.

The last Sheriff who was in favor of gun-control managed to issue my last permit in 30 days. This was a little over 5 years ago and plenty of people were doing CCW then at the time. Initial background check was done at the time I applied for permit. Then they sent out fingerprints for the FBI to run the same checks. Permit back in 30 days.

Other states, and certainly other counties in our own state are issuing in a more timely manner. This is clearly an issue with the Washoe County Sheriffs Office.

Either the system is broken or Chuck Allen or his team is delaying. Not issuing until the end of the 120 day time limit smells like total bullcrap. He's either delaying, or unable to review them in time and issues them without review because the state regs says he has to. To me, it's an indication of how he's running the department or his temperament towards his citizens and I don't like it. Whats the motivation for allowing your permit process to wait out the clock and issue at the end of 120 days instead of as soon as the prerequisites are fulfilled. I voted for Chuck Allen and I would like to think he would work for us, but doing the bare minimum and ensuring the citizens of your county have to wait the maximum time in order to exercise their constitutional rights is bullshit. And its not rhetoric, all I'm going to remember when I vote next time is this guy made me wait the max under the law. If there is a problem he should attempt to do something about it and be transparent about it (ie: utilize forms of communication to let us know why there is a delay).

*edit
    It was in the mailbox today, just to update the thread looks like Washoe is about 104 days. I wish this state would push constitutional carry through.
    Last edited by rowedave76; September 17th, 2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Update

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kolt
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wait times were equally long before chuck Allen, when I applied for mine last year they had me fill out a survey card to help them streamline the process. Most the wait time is the paperwork sitting on desks waiting to be processed, other counties in Nevada don't have near the population and influx of Californians applying for permits
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyMike View Post
    Bill, I think you have earned the nickname California Bill, super-nanny with an irrestible urge to have others conform to your comfort zone.

9. The Following 2 Users Like BUILTnotBOUGHT's Post:

CashMoney (September 20th, 2016), Nevadabackroader (September 18th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took me a 120 days under douchefag mike haley. At least Chuck Allen is outspokingly in defense of 2A. I can't imagine there is a lot he can do. Find out and report back though and by all means lets get the internet lynchmob machine up and going.

At that time it took around 100 days in Elko county and roughly the same in Pershing.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was just under 100 days under Sheriff Hailey. I think the sheer number of permits Washoe is handling is to blame, but I'm not going to swear by it. Anyone alleging Chuck Allen is somehow hampering the process and isn't a 2A supporter has their head stuck somewhere.

I've read articles that show CCW is on the rise nationwide. Want to say I've seen them mention Nevada specifically, but I won't swear on it. I'm far more inclined to think the delays are based on sheer numbers rather than some clandestine conspiracy. Wait times were right at 120 days before 2010 when I got my first permit, the increased and decreases appear cyclical to me.

If we want a permanent decrease in permit times, pass one by law so Sheriff Chuck can tell the county he needs more money to process them in the more timely manner. Right now, as long as his office can keep them within statute, he's not going to get more resources to process permits for us.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowedave76 View Post

*edit
    It was in the mailbox today, just to update the thread looks like Washoe is about 104 days. I wish this state would push constitutional carry through.
    We tried in the last legislative session. And the one before, technically, but Dems controlling the committee never let the bill see the light of day. Then, in a Republican controlled state congress, we couldn't even get constitutional carry out of committee again. It was said that "the votes weren't there," but many connected within the process said that there was a concerted effort to keep the bill off of Sandoval's desk to let him appear more moderate in this current cycle. Regardless of the rumors, RINOs in the state prevented us from even getting a vote on campus carry and constitutional carry in 2015. We'll try again in 2017.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right after we adopt California's new laws here. Thanks transplants and welcome!

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUILTnotBOUGHT View Post
    The wait times were equally long before chuck Allen, when I applied for mine last year they had me fill out a survey card to help them streamline the process. Most the wait time is the paperwork sitting on desks waiting to be processed, other counties in Nevada don't have near the population and influx of Californians applying for permits
    This is a good point. I wonder what percentage of permit applications are for non-resident permits? IMO those should be put on the bottom of the pile or they should stop processing them altogether until they get the wait times down. Although I realize that is state law and they don't really have a choice. It just sucks that Californians can be slowing the process down for the in state people that actually live here.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kolt
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarjeep View Post
    This is a good point. I wonder what percentage of permit applications are for non-resident permits? IMO those should be put on the bottom of the pile or they should stop processing them altogether until they get the wait times down. Although I realize that is state law and they don't really have a choice. It just sucks that Californians can be slowing the process down for the in state people that actually live here.
    When I went to apply for mine a group of 6 guys from sac showed up to apply also, when my girlfriend applied this month she said more Californians were there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyMike View Post
    Bill, I think you have earned the nickname California Bill, super-nanny with an irrestible urge to have others conform to your comfort zone.

Vendor
    Real Name
    sharon(male)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    Right after we adopt California's new laws here. Thanks transplants and welcome!
    Cali "transplants" come in all shapes and forms......like a 230lb Israeli guys.....just sayin;-)
    ** Quality Firearms for competitive prices, with the best customer service by ret. Law Enforcement & Combat military Veterans (U.S & IDF)**

MaccabeeArms.com

17. The Following User Likes seal13il's Post:

RenoTaco (September 20th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
    Cali "transplants" come in all shapes and forms......like a 230lb Israeli guys.....just sayin;-)
    Well are you a Californian or an Israeli?

Vendor
    Real Name
    sharon(male)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well are you a Californian or an Israeli?
    I was a Californian Israeli

MaccabeeArms.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So applications shouldn't be processed "First in, first out" because it's unfair you have to wait? They have to wait as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    So applications shouldn't be processed "First in, first out" because it's unfair you have to wait? They have to wait as well.
    Resident permits should be processed first come first served. Non resident permits should go to the bottom of the pile and not be touched until every resident permit is complete. Fuck CA they don't give Nevadans permits and they don't have reciprocity with us. If we want to give non resident permits that's fine but it shouldn't be at the cost of Nevada residents having to wait 4 months to get their permit.

22. The Following 2 Users Like cmarjeep's Post:

CashMoney (September 22nd, 2016), McNasty (September 22nd, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resident permits should be processed first come first served. Non resident permits should go to the bottom of the pile and not be touched until every resident permit is complete. Fuck CA they don't give Nevadans permits and they don't have reciprocity with us. If we want to give non resident permits that's fine but it shouldn't be at the cost of Nevada residents having to wait 4 months to get their permit.
    100%

24. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

CashMoney (September 22nd, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great. Go change the law to allow the sheriff's to back burner non-res permits. Right now, they have 120 days by statute to process each permit app they receive, period.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck you for coming in after me and going to the front of the line. We're all getting the same thing. They have nothing to do with the legal requirement being 120 days regardless of the number of applications. The sheriff could make you wait 120 days even if they didn't issue non-resident permits.
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full retard.

28. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

McNasty (September 24th, 2016)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, and I am still waiting for my damn DL to show up so I can submit my packet. It sucked turning in my CA CCW knowing that it was probably the hardest permit I will ever have to apply for.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full retard.
    You're right. Blaming the amount of time legally allowed to issue a CCW permit on non-resident applications is full retard.