Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Truck!! 84 Wronco

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Luke
    Hem.,....don't like the front clip change but that's just a matter of opinion.
    GOD BLESS TEXAS

Wheeler
    Real Name
    kirtus
    I like the new front clip.
    Hi

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dylan
    Quote Originally Posted by uglysami View Post
    I like the new front clip.
    Looks better to me
    O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones - it bones for thee. -Bender

4. The Following User Likes Deluxxx's Post:

Toyota_James (October 21st, 2014)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    When you cut the rear fender, did you tie the body panel back into the wheel well ? I also like the new clip.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by willys dave View Post
    When you cut the rear fender, did you tie the body panel back into the wheel well ? I also like the new clip.
    Not as of yet, I just bent the inner fender well over until it met the fender skin again. I might layer it with body seam sealer, or maybe just leave it loose since its just a trail rig

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Last time I was in California I was looking for deals on craigslist, and came across a Belleview 6000 winch for $200, so I picked it up just for this project. All the winch needed was one new bushing, and wire to hook it up. It even came with 150' of cable. Then I made a simple frame width bumper/winch mount out of a mix of 1/8" and 3/16" plate I had laying around from previous projects

Also had a spare battery tray that came with the front clip, so I moved the radiator overflow/windshield washer bottle down the fenderwell a bit to clear a second battery

Winch- $200.00
    Wiring/parts for winch- $56.33
    Winch bumper- Free, built from scrap
    Second battery- Free, came with front clip

Total cost so far- $1009.64
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    If I were to do it over, I would have cut part of the grille out to set the winch back further between the framerails, the way it is now it sticks out a bit further forward than I would like.

I allotted myself $1000 to spend on this project, so this will probably be the last of the major upgrades unless I come across stuff for free, or decide to put more money into it. Hopefully I will get time to wheel this thing a bit now

9. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Jiggerman (November 4th, 2014)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    jake
    New clip 1000x better. Nice budget winch setup.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Did a few more freebie modifications. First I got a ignition cylinder from the parts Thunderbird for my Bronco II v8 swap, so now you can start it with a key.
    Also scored some free fog lights from work

Also cut off the stock muffler and cats, and used some left over 2 1/4" exhaust tubing and a small glass pack from the same tbird to make a new exhaust

Some more wheeling pics

Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 08:29 PM.

12. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Toyota_James (December 22nd, 2014)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    I don't think the stock springs are too happy with the current working conditions

I think I'll have to get some Early Bronco coils some time and ditch the spacers
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 08:30 PM.

14. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Toyota_James (December 22nd, 2014)

Awesome thread.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Decided to throw a bit more money at it. Got a set of 4" lift Early Bronco coils

Superlift Early Bronco coils- $112.18
    Total cost so far- $1121.82
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Took the thing out to moonrocks a few weeks ago. It did decent, but revealed a few weak points, and some areas that needed improvement.

First off, I found out the factory steering linkage is a little weak for 37's

I also found that my extended radius arms were a little on the weak side

It was also apparent that open diffs and 3.54 gears weren't the greatest in the rocks either
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    First job was to straighten out the driver side radius arm

Then I welded a piece of c channel across the back to keep it from bending again

Then using the highest quality tubing I had laying around, I sleeved the tie rod/drag link

All made from junk I had laying around
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:32 PM.

19. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Toyota_James (April 15th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Next is the biggest investment this turd will probably ever see, gears and lockers.
    Ended up going 5.13's, welding the rear, then just L/S up front since it was the cheapest option

Didn't get any pictures of the locker install, but here is a lame video I took afterwards

Welded rear diff-Free
    Auburn Gear D44 limited slip-$284.88
    Used 9" 5.14-$89.99
    D44 5.13-$142.64

Total cost so far-$1639.33

21. The Following 2 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

Mazzif (April 15th, 2015), Paul123 (April 22nd, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    The recent trip out to Moab revealed a few other ares that could use improvement. Namely, the trailer hitch. It did protect the gas tank a little, and offered a good recovery point, but it got drug over absolutely everything

Just taking the hitch off would leave the gas tank very vulnerable, so something had to be done about that.
    With the 2" body lift I have there was some room for the gas tank to move up.

On a fullsize bronco, the factory "skid plate" under the tank is also what holds it up. Then there are straps the go over the top to sandwich it in place on top of the skid plate. So I sectioned 2" out of the factory skid plate, and made some hillbilly extensions for the top straps. You also have to notch a little bit out of the crossmember to allow the gas tank to fit up further in the frame

The factory skid plate is better than nothing, but it really doesn't offer too much in the way of protection. Using the same school of thought as I did on my front bumper, I made a simple frame-width rear bumper that carried under to a skid plate.

I also got a new fuel pump to replace the one that died at Moab

Rear bumper/skid plate- Free, made from an old work bench
    Fuel pump- $21.46
    Total cost so far- $1660.79
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:39 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

MARKUNIT10 (May 24th, 2015), Mazzif (May 23rd, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Took it up a canyon off USA Parkway and thrashed on it a little on Memorial Day. Ended up breaking a hub and a steering u-joint, which took out the ears on both the inner and stub shaft

25. The Following 3 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

Deluxxx (June 3rd, 2015), MARKUNIT10 (June 2nd, 2015), Toyota_James (June 3rd, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Last time I was at Picknpull I grabbed a Dana 50 long side inner stub/slip joint. It is basically a direct swap as the splines and shaft diameter are the same from the 44 to the 50, but the 50 uses a bigger U-joint and has a bit more meat on the slip yoke

Requires just a little clearancing on the axle beam

On TTB axles, from the factory there is a c-clip that holds the inner stub shaft in, but with that in place it requires disassembly of the 3rd member to get that shaft out if you break it on the trail. Most people put a small spring inside the slip yoke to hold outward pressure and keep the stub shaft in. I did that when I put the limited slip in, but I wasn't too happy with it. I had to weld the dust cap in to keep if from blowing off the end of the slip yoke, then when I broke a U-joint it forced the axle shaft through the dust cap and I lost it as well as the spring.

On my Bronco II I have it set up similar, but with the spring on the outside of the axleshaft, not inside to slip yoke, so I decided to set this one up the same. I searched around for a while and couldn't find anything about anyone ever running a external spring on a 44TTB, only on the 35's. Also, I had a hell of a time trying to find a spring the right size to fit over a 44 shaft. The one I used on the 35 in my Bronco II was to small to fit a 44 shaft, and I was about to give up on the idea until I noticed the seat spring on my riding mower looked about the right size. It's a little stiffer than it needs to be, it's probably 50-60 PPI, but it works

Craftsman riding mower seat spring, part number 124181X

The spring coiled in at the end where it would normally mount, so that had to be cut off

Then a couple beads of weld were needed to keep the spring from jumping up and sliding down the length of the shaft. I kept them as cold as I could so they would just stick to the shaft but not really burn into it

Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:43 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Assembled under the truck

Last step was to throw in good U-joints while I was there, Spicer 760X's on the outers, and a 1350X in the D50 inner.
    Then some poser shots flexing on the trailer

D50 inner-$60.98
    Craftsman 124181X spring-$8.83
    Spicer U-joints-$47.23

Total cost so far-$1777.83
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:46 PM.

28. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Deluxxx (July 7th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Just got back from a wheeling trip to Niagara Rim trail, thrashed on it pretty good with a bit of carnage. I'll get a write up done in the trail reports section, but here are a few pics until I get the rest uploaded

Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:48 PM.

30. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Deluxxx (July 27th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dylan
    Nice!
    O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones - it bones for thee. -Bender

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    keep breaking parts cheap truck will be spensive!
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick

Got the passenger side radius arm fixed the same way I did the driver side when it bent, straightened it and welded a piece of C channel welded across the back.

I did some pretty good tweaking on the front bumper too. Slammed it into a few rock faces pretty hard a couple times and bent it a bit and peeled the roller fairlead open. Then bent it a bunch more winching at a really bad angle.

Got it straitened out the best I could then welded a piece of angle iron across the front to reinforce it. Also switched to a hawse fairlead.
    Then I cut about 5 inches out of the frame and cut the bottom half of the grill so I could move the winch in

Hawse fairlead- $17.19

Total cost so far- $1795.02
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:53 PM.

34. The Following 2 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

Deluxxx (August 10th, 2015), gird123 (August 11th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Latest update kinda threw the "budget build" out the window.
    The 15 year old Interco SSR's were getting pretty sad, and I put a good 4" gash in one. So I managed to get a hold of some 37x12.50x16.5 BFG Baja T/A's, then recentered some 12 bolt H1 wheels I had laying around from a previous project

I went through a couple methods of measuring to get the center straight, but apart from making a fancy jig the best method I found was to put a straight edge across the back of the wheel and measure down to the new center at multiple places around the wheel

H1 wheels- Already had them
    Wheel centers and rock rings- $371.22
    Tires-$625.00

Total cost so far- $2791.24
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 15th, 2017 at 10:58 PM.

36. The Following 5 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

Deluxxx (November 11th, 2015), Dirty Harry (November 10th, 2015), L.D. (November 11th, 2015), MARKUNIT10 (November 11th, 2015), Toyota_James (November 30th, 2015)

Real Name
    Wes
    Nice budget build. Actually exactly what I wanted to see. I have an 81 beater I picked up for 100 bucks and wanted to see some 3rd gen (body style) action pics. To my surprise you have Vids too! Even better. I'll be following a very similar route for my build. Anyway good job on the build! Glad to see someone smart enough to get some flex and worth out of that TTB!

PS learned something-D50 shaft works for 44TTB. Thanks for that. Also what kind/size spring did you use on the 44 (outside the shaft).