Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    Nice budget build. Actually exactly what I wanted to see. I have an 81 beater I picked up for 100 bucks and wanted to see some 3rd gen (body style) action pics. To my surprise you have Vids too! Even better. I'll be following a very similar route for my build. Anyway good job on the build! Glad to see someone smart enough to get some flex and worth out of that TTB!

PS learned something-D50 shaft works for 44TTB. Thanks for that. Also what kind/size spring did you use on the 44 (outside the shaft).
    This is the spring I used on the axle shaft http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Part.../dp/B000K1Q0Y4

I searched around hardware stores for a while, but none of them seemed to carry springs with a big enough I.D. to fit over the axle shaft. It needs to have an I.D. of about 1 3/8". Doesn't need to be too stiff, 15-20 PPI would probably do the job, that craftsman spring is quite a bit stiffer but it shouldn't hurt anything

2. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

ford boy (November 30th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing much new. Got groovy with my new BFG's

Should have done some before and after testing to see if the groves really did anything, but I didn't. I can tell you that grooved BFG Baja T/A's work better than bald 15 year old Interco SSR's though
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; October 16th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.

4. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Toyota_James (February 28th, 2016)

The Mechanical Menace
    Real Name
    Dallas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like this build and the zero fucks given approach to wheeling it.

Internet Tough Guy

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_James View Post
    I really like this build and the zero fucks given approach to wheeling it.
    Thanks. I just got tired of having rigs that I felt bad about smashing up on the trail

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of teaser shots of the Turd on the Con until I get the full trip report up

Last edited by 3rd Petal; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:24 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

ford boy (July 8th, 2016), gird123 (July 9th, 2016), MARKUNIT10 (July 8th, 2016)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while since I've updated this.
    The turd has been continually breaking and getting upgrades over the last year. I've lost track of my running budget tally, but I think this project has changed from strictly a budget build to more of a somewhat budged minded build with money spent in a few places.
    So after splitting 2 carrier bearing caps in Moab last year, and blowing up the lock-right I had in the rear at Rubicon, I decided to throw a little money at the rear end. So it now has a Summit Racing brand 3rd member with big 3.25 carrier bearings, and a used nascar detroit locker

Next up was the radius arms. The stock ones that I cut in the middle and extended had served their purpose, but over the years they have ended up pretty bent and scabby. I also noticed I would always slide nicely down the radius arm, but then dig in and get stuck on the radius arm bracket. So after talking with my buddy Silas, we came up with a new design. We went with a twin tube design with a sweep in the end that should hopefully let it slide smoothly off the end of the arm and not hang up on anything. Sucks that I had to give up about 3" of clearance vs the old arms, but our theory is that I was always gonna find the rocks with the radius arms, so as long as they slide good I shouldn't get hung up

Next issue I noticed while under the truck building my radius arms, was that my frame was cracked next to the steering box. So I had to weld up the frame, then I added ram assist to try to take some of the stress of the frame. I went small with the ram, perhaps a little smaller than I should have, but this was my reasoning. Firstly, a small ram was cheaper, and secondly, I was afraid to go too big and end up overwheleming my stock pump or stock tie rod ends. So I ended up with a little 1" ram, which I can tell does something, it doesn't do a lot though. So I might step up to a 1.5" down the road

Lastly, I added a front hoop into the factory roll bar with some cheap 1 1/2" .120 wall tube.
    Sorry for being light on pictures, but the turd is loaded on the trailer and headed to Moab tomorrow, so there should be lots of pictures to come shortly
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:29 PM.

10. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Deluxxx (April 28th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:29 PM.

Real Name
    Wes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update, it's fun to see what other people are doing with these big broncos. I recently built some custom radius arms for mine. Got a bit impatient and rushed so they are not how I'd like them but hey, it was a $100 bronco lookin forward to more pictures!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thing is still around and still growing, when I get the time I'll post more updates. But for now here are a couple pictures from Rubicon last month

Also, I'm working on getting all my pictures out of photobucket, so hopefully the whole build thread will be view-able shortly