Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marn's '73 Wagoneer

Wheeler
    Real Name
    chance
    Man everything about this rig is rad. The only thing i would do different is put an lm7 or something in, you could get more power and way better fuel economy. Would be an easy swap in a big ol pig like this plus the engines are super cheap.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by raging renix View Post
    Man everything about this rig is rad. The only thing i would do different is put an lm7 or something in, you could get more power and way better fuel economy. Would be an easy swap in a big ol pig like this plus the engines are super cheap.

Thanks man.

I absolutely would love to do a vortec swap, but for the next few years it's not likely. Wedding/honeymoon in a month, then need to buy a house in the next year, then finish off student loans....it'll be a while until I can dedicate myself (physically and monetarily) to any big projects on the truck. :-/

in the meantime I am hoping to get fuel injection set up though. At least that should make things a bit more reliable.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    chance
    What kind of efi? http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...-power-part-1/ This is a 3 part series on building up one of these bad boys looks like it might be of some help to you
    At the end of part 3 you see them talk about comparing to an ls swap and they hypothesis it could have been cheaper to throw in an ls. But it would depend on if you could do it all yourself and it sounds like you got a lot on your plate haha. Good luck man!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by raging renix View Post
    What kind of efi? http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...-power-part-1/ This is a 3 part series on building up one of these bad boys looks like it might be of some help to you
    At the end of part 3 you see them talk about comparing to an ls swap and they hypothesis it could have been cheaper to throw in an ls. But it would depend on if you could do it all yourself and it sounds like you got a lot on your plate haha. Good luck man!

Planning to to do either a junkyard swap with Chevy TBI parts or if I feel frisky and want to spend a little I will pickup a kit from Bill over on binderplanet

Wheeler
    Real Name
    chance
    oh hell ya you should be able to bang that out pretty cheap yeah?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    $500ish to $800ish depending on how much new stuff you want when doing a junk yard swap seems to be the average.

7. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

raging renix (April 1st, 2015)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew

So, after all the aforementioned crap I determined that I needed better brakes. More or less the last thing on the truck that hadnt been gone through was the axles. I figured they'd need a rebuild anyway (closed knuckle D 30 had a knock when turning in 4x4, the felt gaskets were dry, blah blah blah). I had an option here. I could convert the D30 to disc, or I could "drop in" a set of late model D44's that were already disc. SUPPOSEDLY it was as easy as that.

I'm going to go into SUPER spark notes mode here because this damn axle swap took something like 15 months to get sorted out.

I had spoken with a number of people who had done the same. I eventually located a set of axles from a 77 quadratrac wagoneer. They were factory disc up fron, offset read (which I was told would be fine) and were 3.54's which was a requirement. I didnt want to drop down to 3.07's which was worse than my factory 3.31's.

It was brought to my attention b somebody that the offset q-track rear WOULD NOT work with my centered D20 transfer case. I didnt think it would be an issue since the early 70's rear axles were offset slightly anyway (this is required in order to fit the gas tank on the earlier years). Turns out a narrow track quadratrac is the FURTHEST offset of any FSJ axle. This is because on the wide track axles, the right side tube is 2" longer, left side is the same, so they shift the whole assembly to the left 1 inch so it actually has less offset for the diff. I decided to stop the progress and mount up the rear D44, as is, to see if it would cause any driveline issues.

Long story short, It did.

I had some pretty bad driveline angles going.

Anyway, I proceeded on because I couldnt tell if there were really any issues, i knew there were some minor vibes, but it didnt bother me. Eventually once I got it all finished up, I was having MAJOR vibrations, my driveline was shifting under load so much that it was hitting my muffler and when towing the camper I could barely be on the throttle going up hill without the thing feeling like it was going to vibrate apart. I took it to some drive line shops where I was told my a tech that my angles were "atrocious".

I looked into putting in a centered axle and installing a different gas tank, and a bunch of other options, many of which included regearing at least one axle. Eventually I ended up hunting down a 74-78 narrow track cherokee with inline 6 and manual trans rear axle, which was literally the ONLY factory option that would put my diff back where it was supposed to be. They made me pay for it and it had to get freighted from montana, but it was the exact part that I needed.

It was interesting to tear down and rebuild these axles. Front got locking hubs, new ball joints, new outer seals, new calipers, rotors, pads, and all new steering components. Rear got new outer seals, and a new diff cover. All new brake hardware too.

Eventually it came out nice.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    out with the old...

in with the new

While doing some work I poked a hole in my gas tank, where a previous owner had done the same exact thing by placing a jack stand too close....

out she came...for like the 3rd time..... to get welded up.

Gross:

much better

ready to go back in with the hole repaired.

So, somewhere around this point we discovered that my brake system would not work. What this meant was removing literally every single piece of my brakes, including the steering column/pedal support, the bracket, the booster, the linkage the MC, adding a proportioning valve, and a BUNCH (though not all) of new lines. Again, in my ignorance, i overlooked this due to being given conflicting info.

This became a fiasco as well. I had 3 prop valves go bad on me (leaking from the little button on the front) and a number of other issues. I was able to drive it, but then within a week or two there would be a puddle under my truck coming from the prop valve. I cannot tell you how many quarts of brake fluid I went through trying to get this thing bled and working right. I also went through 3 master cylinders that would fail to properly bench bleed....and its not just me. I had other friends try their own methods and whatnot as well.

All this came out:

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    all kinds of new lines

new booster from a 3/4 ton J20 (dual diaphragm) and new MC

Finally got a wilwood prop valve, but it only had 1 output so had to work in a T to fit the existing lines as pest as possible.

I had issues with the rear of the jeep squatting and rubbing when pulling the camper, as well as rubbing when offroad. I added a set of Monrose load levelling shocks when we fabbed up the new shock mounts. These raised the rear end about an inch and causes way less settling whent the camper was attached.

got hooked up with a heavy iron diff cover from a buddy who works for the manufacturer. Got it dirt cheap, so, it'll do! They were actually going to use my jeep to take the instruction photos, but it didnt work out because it was un-drivable at the time.

I actually have a second one waiting to go on the front some day. No rush to open the diff up though.

So eventually I came into the appropriate rear axle, mentioned above. Broke it down cleaned it up.

Note the offset difference?

At one point as well I put a little lunchbox locker in the rear, but it was unlocking every second or two as I was driving. It came back out that same day and I figured I could live without it.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    In she went....(u bolts have since been adjusted and replaced).

some new plumbing.

much much much better angles, this is factory (minus the fact that its lifted about 4"). We actually had removed my muffler...cut out some stupid thing that a previous owner installed in front of it to help it smog.......and moved the muffler about a foot forward to get it out of the way. Currently it still just has the turn down, a tailpipe is on my list.

Anyway, that was more or less the end of the axle swap saga, about 15 months in the making. Currently all seems well. The only minor issue I am having is that the drivers side front wheel locks up way too easy when you get on the brakes. There is a slight drag between the pad and rotor for maybe 1/4th of the rotation of the hub....so I'm thinking something is bent or warped and the pads are pre-heating and GRABBING that spot when it rotates around. Its not a huge issue, but something I definitely plan to address.

Ever since completing the axle swap form hell, I havent really done a whole lot to the truck because I've been trying to drive it, and enjoy it.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Driving and enjoying it:

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    So, The last trip above was actually a practice run. A few weeks later we made the same trip with my then girlfriend and her family. There was a purpose to that trip.

I made a little video to commerate the event and the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBWPgkW3-o

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Other than that....

I recently loaded the truck up (march 1st), and drove it to Reno! Made the trip without so much as a single hiccup. 10 hours at 50-55mph following the uhaul which was towing our 69 nova.

15. The Following 2 Users Like Dr. Marneaus's Post:

raging renix (April 5th, 2015), Toyota_James (April 12th, 2015)

The Mechanical Menace
    Real Name
    Dallas
    Great build thread. You should have less than a foot and a half of fuel hose. It really needs as much hard line as you can get.

Internet Tough Guy

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Not much on the jeep recently, but finally done with the wedding and honeymoon so normal life can resume.

The other day I was driving out into the mountains to go to Virginia City, and noticed I was only running 35PSI oil pressure at highway speed and 0 PSI when idling. This was odd, as its always been over 50 on the highway and normally idles around 10 (13 is brand new factory spec, so 10 aint too bad).

Got all nervous. Checked oil level, it was fine, there was no noise and the truck was running fine. Figured (or should I say I HOPED) it was the gauge. Ordered new gauge set and copper line. Started an oil change and pulled the adapter for the pressure line. Saw this:

It felt like a piece of RTV or something. A good portion of it was in the hole.

Anyway, finished the oil change and buttoned that pressure line and fitting back up. Went for a drive into town on the highway and then came bombng up the hill back towards home to make sure it was good and warm.

Back to 55psi on the highway

Shame, I already bought 30 bucks worth of gauges and stuff and then ripped it all open. Oh well, i''ll still count this as an easy and cheap fix lol.

Web Wheeler
    This is a copy and paste from expedition

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by flighht2k5 View Post
    This is a copy and paste from expedition

No no no no I wouldn't do that to my new 'home' 4x4 website! I actually wrote it here and posted it over there and on JF as well haha

20. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

Dennis (June 6th, 2015)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Met up with a few FSJ's from the Reno area to do some shooting and light wheeling today.

Beautiful day to be out in the hills.

Down in the valley:

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Up into the hills. Nothing crazy just narrow and bumpy dirt roads.

Didnt have a very good idea of where we were so we just started headed in the direction we wanted to go.

Good day.

23. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

Washoe Wrangler (June 7th, 2015)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    not much going on lately, just been trying to put on some miles in the dirt.

Other than that I have recently torn into my tailgate because the window was being funky. It would quit on me randomly and then start working again. I ripped it open and the 40 year old motor still works when connected to a battery, but the gears were all blown out and binding a bit. Couple that with the idiotic 40 year old wiring (power goes to tailgate, through the switch, back up to the front switch, then back down to the tailgate....) and there just isnt enough juice to cut it.

I picked up a 77 tailgate which has the later style motor and switch, and have a wiring harness en route from a fellow FSJ'er who makes a number of wiring kits. The kit he produces replaces ALL the wiring and switches, and runs the window on relays directly from battery power rather than running the load through the switches. That should be here this weekend.

I also have new side channels arriving to keep the window in place and keep it from rattling around in the tailgate, as mine were totally blown out and actually rusted in 2 (strangely enough the tailgate is 100% solid?)

Should be working better than new here in short order.

Next up is a headliner project I am in the middle of planning. Cant afford a new bow style suspended headliner installed by a shop and i don't have the skills to do it, so I'll be converting to a later style board headliner that i'll either paint or cover with fabric or vinyl. My headliner has been the ugliest and worst part of my wag for 5 years and I'm psyched to finally attack it.
    Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; August 4th, 2015 at 10:38 AM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Nice rig, always really liked the Wagoneer's look since I was a kid and one of my friends parents had one. I remember seeing pics of your's on Jeepforum chat thread for Vegas when I was living in Vegas before I sold mine. Decided Harley's were higher on my list out there. I moved from Reno to Vegas back in 2011. Just moved back. You should be fine wearing Rebel colors as long as you don't go the games or on campus lol. Really dig the pic of your Waggy out at Pioneer, brings back memories of the saloon. Got a few pics of my bike out there when it was surrounded by a hundred bikes or better.
    19 Delta OPFOR and veterans all around the table in my tribe

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Hey thanks man.

I've pretty much retired my red hats so it's all good haha.

I do miss the pioneer saloon, but we've got plenty that are just as good up here it seems. Between Virginia City and Geona, I'm pleased.

Hoping to get the rest of my window parts today and I'm going to look into that headliner this weekend.

And sorry in advance, I know this isn't really technical build type stuff and its not a very hardcore rig or anything. Mostly just "fixing it up" type stuff at this point in time as I don't have the wherewithal to tackle any major projects.

27. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

Xantasm (August 7th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
    Hey thanks man.

I've pretty much retired my red hats so it's all good haha.

I do miss the pioneer saloon, but we've got plenty that are just as good up here it seems. Between Virginia City and Geona, I'm pleased.

Hoping to get the rest of my window parts today and I'm going to look into that headliner this weekend.

And sorry in advance, I know this isn't really technical build type stuff and its not a very hardcore rig or anything. Mostly just "fixing it up" type stuff at this point in time as I don't have the wherewithal to tackle any major projects.
    No need for apologies. Build threads run from the mild to wild. Restoration, restomod, mild modification to radical modification. They all have a place in our hobby. I enjoy your thread as I too have always liked the FS Jeeps and wouldn't mind having one to play with. Who knows, maybe at some future point???

Keep it up and enjoy!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Woop Woop!

The side channels are kinda funky, they are different than the 1973 ones i removed and are really tight. they make the window really stiff to move up and down, moving it by hand even required a good bit of force. But anyway...

modified tailgate switch

Fraction of an inch of clearance but its perfect!

mounted:

All done, and look, it hardly required any tools at all...ha.

check out the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaWtqmIEaM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ1LxRWZrFQ

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    About 120 miles from home to the meeting spot....put over 300 trouble free miles on my rig on sunday.

Jeeps! unfortunately one was missing :-(

Narrow Bridge:

"Where do we go?"