Thread: Marn's '73 Wagoneer

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well. New alt arrived and looked like it had already been installed by somebody. greasy hand prints, grease on the mounting foot.

Either way, i installed it. Got it in and all tightened up. seems to be slightly more misaligned than the last one, but i can tweak that.

Tested good, 14.5v at the alternator during idle, 14.4 at the battery.

I again tested for a poor ground by checking between the alternator body and the negative battery terminal. It showed -0.03 volts, so there is a voltage differential of .03 which is way smaller than they say to watch out for.

I revved it up to 1500 rpm and had high beams, AC fan, heater fan all on high and checked, it was -0.05v at the negative terminal, and -0.08v between the body or the radiator, etc. So, again, still under .1v.

We'll see how long it lasts....

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not much to report, just driving it and tuning the EFI.

Here's some pics from early august when I went up Peavine with renodemona. nothing crazy, just a few miles of dirt.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And here's a post from a few weeks ago when we drug the camper up to Davis Lake.

we got a late start and ended up at Davis because we didnt want to try an unknown trip since we were about 2 hours behind schedule.

The cheap trailer harness on the wag broke, the ground wire failed, so it took me a good 25 minutes to diagnose and then jury rig it, then we hit the road.

The trip to he lake was uneventful. It was hotter than the hinges of hell. Well, for Reno at least. It was upper 90's and I was grumpy. Truck pulled fine, albeit weak. It runs mostly right around 190* cruising. When we turned off the 70 to climb the grade to Davis the truck never passed 205*. I was going fairly slow though, about 35mph, and it was slowing down a little even though I was in 2nd gear. Its been so long since I've towed the camper and I'm not sure the steepest i've gone with it, but it felt weak. Climbing the mountain I was dumping gas out the gas cap. I've got a plan for that. I need to install a proper vent and then a better sealing gas cap, no worries.

Made it up to the camp ground, dumped more gas as I was unhooking the trailer, then that was the end of the drama.

Set up camp, drank a bunch, cooked some pork chops, went to bed. Woke up, had some coffee, eggs, bacon, went to the lake up past where the pavement ends, had the beach to ourselves. did a bit of back roading, drove over the hill on dirt to crocker campground located on Beckwourth Genesee road. Returned to camp. Drank more, cooked some bomb-*** cast iron enchiladas, played some giant Yahtzee with the wife, petted the dog, drank more, went to bed. Woke up, cleaned up, packed up, headed home! Again, hotter than two rats making love in a wool sock, but no issues.

Long story short, almost no vehicle drama (I'm not going to count the fuel spillage) which is a major advancement. I cannot say with certainty that this trip would have caused my prior issues to present themselves, but all of the criteria was there. Hot. Hills. Load. Elevation. Towing.

Here's some pitchers. Some by me, some by my wife. none by the dog.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

6. The Following 3 Users Like Dr. Marneaus's Post:

ManNamedJed (September 6th, 2016), Sierra Valley (September 6th, 2016), Toyota_James (October 14th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I've got it...I might as well use it!

Wife and I hadn't been camping in a few weeks, and we realized this was our only free weekend in October, so, we loaded up the Campah. Since all our favorite spots up near gold lake, Davis lake, etc are closed for the winter, we tried a new spot and headed down to Ft. Churchill state park, just outside of silver springs, NV. About an hour away from where we live.

I sent a message out to the local guys on Thursday night, and turns out one of them was able to join us with his 76' J10.

It was a nice weekend, sucked leaving Reno during rush hour, but the truck made the trip without any issues and I was pleasantly surprised with its ability to maintain speed on grades with the camper. The EFI and HEI seem to be helping. Didn't drop below 60mph heading out of Reno or heading up the 395 to the North Valleys where I live.

Nothing special, so I'll let the pics do most of the talking.

We arrived just before sunset.

Pretty typical camp setup...we made a nice FSJ barricade for privacy though.

Now he's a happy camper!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We decided to head out on Saturday to do some exploring. got down to the Carson River, but all the other roads we took went nowhere and ended abruptly. We werehoping to get further up into the hills.

good ole Nevada.

9. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

Toyota_James (October 14th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hardcore FSJ flex, yo.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Headed back to the campground and went for a sunset walk through the ruins of Ft. Churchill, which was built in 1860, and abandoned soon thereafter.

Few more pics of camp:

and sadly, all trips must come to and end. Packed up and headed home!

12. The Following 2 Users Like Dr. Marneaus's Post:

69cj5 (October 11th, 2016), Toyota_James (October 14th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time go back out to the main road and head like you are going to yerington. Take the first big road on your right that parallels the river. That one will take you all the way to Smith Valley if you keep at it.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

14. The Following User Likes WILLD420's Post:

Toyota_James (October 14th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    Next time go back out to the main road and head like you are going to yerington. Take the first big road on your right that parallels the river. That one will take you all the way to Smith Valley if you keep at it.

Yeah, we chatted with the rangers for quite a while the next morning and they told us about some other camping spots and where there are more trails etc.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from that approx area check out the Simpson Road over, uh, Simpson Pass.

Also a bit further east check out the camping at Berlin, east of Gabbs. LOTS of interesting trails and rich in history.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    went out and farted around chicadee before the storm hit on saturday because I was bored and it was pretty.

I was alone and the real storm was coming on the horizon so I stuck to trails I knew. It was beautiful out there with all the fresh snow.

18. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

Toyota_James (January 14th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finally got around to replacing my glazed/stretched or whatever alternator belt that has been plaguing me since my trip to Graeagle in December. It would run fine without the lights on but the belt kept slipping as soon as I applied any electrical load. It turns out I stumbled into the perfect length belts. I purchased 2 belts so I'd have a spare, for my jeep "with" AC. I couldn't use the previous non-AC belts because it was ever so slightly too long and didn't allow me to tension the belt enough. I had to revert to a belt that went around my AC compressor which has long since been unused.

The belts they sold me absolutely came nowhere near the right length to fit around the AC compressor, so I gave one a whirl on just the fan, crank, and alt. Perfect fit with a small amount of adjustment still left in the alt bracket. Boom! No more unnecessary AC bearing wear.

Also replaced the one for the power steering since it has seen better days.

Jeep shows about 14.6 volts again with the high beams and the heater on blast. Good times.

Otherwise, nothing new and haven't driven it too much.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dominic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How has the efi held up so far, do you find yourself adjusting it regularly or is it pretty much leveled off on upkeep?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolNV View Post
    How has the efi held up so far, do you find yourself adjusting it regularly or is it pretty much leveled off on upkeep?
    It still doesn't run right and I have just accepted that's how it's going to be. It has starting issues both hot and cold. Runs okay once everything is going but within the first few minutes of a drive even if the engine has warmed up I can get it to stall pretty easily while I am moving at speed.

so. I dunno.

becoming pretty disillusioned with it as of late. Toyotas sure sound nice.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dominic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sad to hear, i have a friend tat wanted to do the same efi to his waggy.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who knows. I have a buddy with fitech that has had constant issues with the fuel pumps, a buddy with howell who said it was a PITA to install and needed different parts, and a buddy with GM TBI that isn't happy with performance either.

I dont see how the MSD is worth $1500 more than FiTech or whatever.