Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda CR80 for kid

I bought my son his first dirt bike. it is a Honda CR80 with the big bore kit. And it is way too powerful for a beginner. I rode it and when it hits the power band its like hitting the nitrous button. This little bike has enough power for my wife to ride. So the question is what would be the easiest was to restrict the power? Swap out carb, Limit the throttle cables movement. Restrictor plate in the exhaust? Would like it to be fun not dangerous... Any Ideas?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    I bought my son his first dirt bike. it is a Honda CR80 with the big bore kit. And it is way too powerful for a beginner. I rode it and when it hits the power band its like hitting the nitrous button. This little bike has enough power for my wife to ride. So the question is what would be the easiest was to restrict the power? Swap out carb, Limit the throttle cables movement. Restrictor plate in the exhaust? Would like it to be fun not dangerous... Any Ideas?
    I say let him run it. surprising how fast kids can adapt. pretty soon it wont be fast enough.
    THE ORIGINAL HIGH DESERT CRAWLERS-NEVADA CREW
    https://www.facebook.com/HighDesertCrawlers

3. The Following User Likes HighDesertCrawler's Post:

MrBfy (April 30th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Connor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting him ride in a sandy spot is always good. Those little bikes when they hit, it is like break neck speed! Had a KX65, same way. Depending how old/big he is, Yamaha makes a PW80 that doesn't scream out in the powerband like a regular 2-stroke. CRF is always a good learner bike too.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mix a little more oil in the fuel (not too much or you will foul the plug), but a little extra oil will make the bike a tad more sluggish.
    Cheers!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your son is a beginner, a CR80 is DEFINTELY NOT the bike for him. The CR80, especially with a big bore kit is a full on race bike, not to be used by a beginner.

I second, depending on the age a Yamaha PW80 is the ticket. The great thing about these bikes is they are in demand and unless you totally trash it, you can usually sell it for what you bought it for. Keep the CR80 for after he is really good with the PW80.

If your kid is older and inexperienced, get a CRF125 or maybe a CRF150. Both bikes are MUCH tamer.

Don't mess with adding additional oil in the fuel of your CR80, just will make it run bad and load up the plug making it harder to ride. Also is not good for the engine.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fully aware that this is not the best choice for a beginner. However I purchased it because I got a screaming deal and it will be something he can grow into. That is why I am coming up with ideas to make it more suitable for him. if this is not feasible, then I will look at other options. As of now he doesn't even know he has a bike.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a great bike, just really fast and the power band is tough for a beginner.

I would save it and get him something like a CRF125 or similar to learn on, then let him graduate to the CR80.

If you are dead set on keeping it and limting the power, then maybe the best way to limit the power on a CR80 would be to restrict the pipe. I have done this on accident with a rock, by denting the small portion of the pipe in. Just thinking outside the box. It would definitely drop power output, but it would also mess up the pipe. I guess you could weld a restrictor plate just inside the pipe near the head. This would definitely work. Never heard of anyone doing this, but restrictor plates come on a lot of beginner bikes for this exact purpose.

The CR80 and its powerband may or may not work well like this.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Allen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't add extra oil it displaces the fuel so it will run lean. I know that sounds crazy but it's true I would run it rich. not only on the top end (Main Jet) but the mid range (needle) as well. I don't know if you how to jet a 2 stroke. if it's not done correctly you will burn it up in a hurry. I have rebuilt a lot of top ends for people that said they knew what they were doing. Mix the proper fuel and oil ratio, when you find the proper peak then increase the jet size 2 sizes and raze the needle about the same if you have problems with the plug fouling go hotter one step at a time until it quits fouling out. Just remember if you want to go back to go mode you will need to re jet and change the plug.

10. The Following User Likes the-old-one's Post:

69cj5 (April 18th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    find a throttle limiter off a kids bike

12. The Following User Likes MARKUNIT10's Post:

69cj5 (April 18th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a washer with a hole the size of a dime or smaller and screw/rivit it over the end of the exaust. Wont get up on the pipe. You can also limit the uptravel of the slide on carb with piece of small pvc iside the slide spring. Make sure it cant hang up. Dont do anything with jetting except open the air screw some. Grab a box of plugs, youre gonna need em because it will load up and without getting up on the pipe it wont clean out. Mix 40 or 50 to one with motul 300v. Good ta go! Hell have ya removing the restrictor in a day or two.

14. The Following User Likes Rage.690's Post:

69cj5 (April 18th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry not 300 its 800

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great minds think alike. "You can also limit the uptravel of the slide on carb with piece of small pvc iside the slide spring" This was my very first thought on how to easily and cheaply limit the throttle. I think I will do it like this.

Also is this bike engine like a 2 stroke outboard boat engine normal oil mix is 32 to 1?

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on oil you use. Manufacturer's make the new syn oils to be mixed at a certain ratio for performance and suspension. Read the back. If it says 32:1 dont go over, it wont bond to metal any thinner. But use a new style syn like ams oil at 80:1 it works perfectly but will give you fits at 32:1. New oils are developed for specific ratios. Do not go outside these. My tips are meant to be of little cost. You could run a throttle with a lock for twist like a pw50. But cable freeplay vs travel is differnt along with grip size. Its doable bit you have to fab up a cable most likely.

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and a cr80 is not a first dirt bike. Its a first race bike:-)

19. The Following 2 Users Like Rage.690's Post:

69cj5 (April 18th, 2015), Toyota_James (April 19th, 2015)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can run a wide variety of mixes, but you cannot change the mix at all without rejetting. It has been a while, but if I recall correctly factory these are jetted for sea level with 32:1.

You need to lean it up for here based on elevation from the factory setting and like someone here mentioned if you change the oil mix to something like 50:1 this will lean the bike as well. Don't mess around with the mixture unless you know what you are doing, or at least being very careful.

If you need some pointers on changing the mixture, i can help. When i used to race, i would typically run these at 50:1 so i had less oil gunk to deal with. 32:1 will work just fine though. Just make sure you put whatever in it that it is currently jetted to.

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50:1 is richer, it has more fuel, less oil. For what you are doing with restricting it its going rich. Ignore the jetting for now. When you run it unrestricted i can help you jet it properly. Old two stroke jetting with plug chops and such has gone out the window with the new oils and single, double, triple taper needles. Just restrict it and roll with it:-

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

The problem is it will still be a 2 stroke with an all or nothing powerband.

They are great for racing and stunts, but they suck at pleasure riding. If you want to pleasure ride, for a beginner, then clean it up and trade if for a 4 stroke. If you want to race, keep it and learn it.

I rode a lot as a kid with 2 stroke guys. The only time they were having fun was at the track. Otherwise they sucked.

In anything that is loose or slick, they are like riding a perpetual washout. Either the front is going down, or the back is kicking out, there is never a time when the thing will just motor on, like a thumper will.

For what you have described, I wouldn't have one any longer than it took to dump it for what I needed.

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4977645818.html

http://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/4985328852.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4973909099.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4970819684.html
    Last edited by WILLD420; April 18th, 2015 at 05:21 PM.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not agree. Two strokes are great offroad/pleasure bikes. Youre kid will love it and adapt to the power when he learns. Will be smokin all the slow 4 strokes. I changed from 13 years of 4 strokes and ride a 300 smoker now. My first bike was an 89 kx 80. I did just fine. He wont need a new bike till he goes to a full size. Let him try it first restricted. Will be lighter and handle better than a 4 stroke also

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the wife seen the bike before my son did so now the bike is hers. To me this is a good thing because I have no doubt this CR80 is too much for my son anyway. I have picked up a Yamaha PW50 for my 4 year old that needs some work but it is running. I am now in the market for a training wheels for the Yamaha PW50, A Yamaha TTR110E or similar and a 10 to 12 foot trailer.
    Last edited by Shawn Trooper; April 20th, 2015 at 06:52 AM.

25. The Following User Likes Shawn Trooper's Post:

69cj5 (April 20th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2015 Yamaha TTR110R for my son. He did very well ridding for his first time today. Still looking for a trailer.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jordan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda CR80 for kid

Once he hits a tree he'll realize to cut back, only problem I see is whiskey throttle... Nevermind XD
    Last edited by Jharvey; September 8th, 2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Didnt read whole thread.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is ridding the CR80R. The first few times she tried to take off the bike took off out from underneath her. Left her standing there with 2 feet on the ground. That was the start of summer, she has got it down now and is starting to ride more advanced. Small jumps, short but steep hill climbs & most importantly different types of earth. The kid is getting use to his more suitable TTR110. He can tackle any of your basic trails as long as it does not have deep sand or steep hill climbs.....he will get there. My middle child 4, really screams on his PW50. Rides it wide open or not at all. Got to get the training wheels off, they really limmit where the bike will go.

Name:  20150907_152521.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  1.03 MB
    Last edited by Shawn Trooper; September 8th, 2015 at 07:01 PM.

29. The Following 3 Users Like Shawn Trooper's Post:

Deluxxx (September 8th, 2015), grumpyoldretiredcop (September 8th, 2015), Scrub (September 8th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dylan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    My wife is ridding the CR80R. The first few times she tried to take off the bike took off out from underneath her. Left her standing there with 2 feet on the ground. That was the start of summer, she has got it down now and is starting to ride more advanced. Small jumps, short but steep hill climbs & most importantly different types of earth. The kid is getting use to his more suitable TTR110. He can tackle any of your basic trails as long as it does not have deep sand or steep hill climbs.....he will get there. My middle child 4, really screams on his PW50. Rides it wide open or not at all. Got to get the training wheels off, they really limmit where the bike will go.

Name:  20150907_152521.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  1.03 MB
    Do some racing

Racemrann.com
    O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones - it bones for thee. -Bender

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there still a track in lemon valey

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have already looked into Peewee cross for my middle son. But as I said must get the training wheels off first.