Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ducati mechanics

Anyone in town besides Michael's that anyone would recommend to work on a Ducati?

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one else is going to have tools or shims. All dealer specific and there computer system and software is can. I was there mechanic. Sac or bay area you're best bet if you don't want to go to Michael's.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (775) 825-4457 SPL does work on them and no its not all dealer specific all the parts or tools if needed can be ordered from parts unlimited or clawsons ect , before we closed up our shop we did plenty of full rebuilds on everything from 916's to 1098's and referred everybody to SPL , and Brian is a good guy if he can't work on it or requires something special he'll be the first to tell you.

Here's their FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPL-R...96?sk=timeline
    Last edited by DBXJ; May 3rd, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    ~George Orwell~
    I watched 72 Virginians run himself over
    If its called tourist season why are we not allowed to hunt them?
    See that person over there? That's the face of someone who cares. Now look at mine. See the difference?

4. The Following User Likes DBXJ's Post:

mjrsfj40 (May 3rd, 2015)

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep dreamin bud. He cant even reset a service light on new bike. If youre working on a 15 year old 916 yes, a new monster, 1199 just about anything else, no. You can do basics and thats it. No tps resets, no diag, no mapping, nothing. Do yourself a favor and go to a dealer. Oh ya, and the tools are very specific.

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ducati locked everyone out with there new software. No way around it. We get multiple updates a day sometimes. Like i said, if its old give it a try. If its new, good luck with an independent. You cant even program a key on a new bike. Ask them:-)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage.690 View Post
    Keep dreamin bud. He cant even reset a service light on new bike. If youre working on a 15 year old 916 yes, a new monster, 1199 just about anything else, no. You can do basics and thats it. No tps resets, no diag, no mapping, nothing. Do yourself a favor and go to a dealer. Oh ya, and the tools are very specific.

I can get those tools just like any other person, http://www.motomfg.com/DUCATI_TOOLS_s/1.htm
    and that's just using google, not to mention the tools motion pro and many others make that are in some cases better then dealer tools.
    and here's the adapter to up to a 1199 which I believe Brian has http://desmotimes.com/product911.htm
    and heres a way to reset the service light tps ect from your phone people find away I've seen this one done in person.
    http://www.ducati.org/forums/how-tos...nder-20-a.html
    you can argue it all you want, but not everything has to be done at a dealer people will eventually find a way and theres obviously a reason why he doesn't want to go to Michael's maybe it because they can't seem to put front wheels on correctly or the simple fact they charge to much.

and most modern immobilizers need a dealer reset since most don't have the access to the 40+ rolling code randomizer that will be programed to that specific car,truck,bike ect its not specific to a motorcycle, I deal with it every day with a new fleet.
    Last edited by DBXJ; May 3rd, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    ~George Orwell~
    See that person over there? That's the face of someone who cares. Now look at mine. See the difference?

8. The Following User Likes DBXJ's Post:

Deluxxx (May 3rd, 2015)

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they cant do either. Don't believe i even asked him to consider going to Michaels. Suggested other dealers. But the adapter wont get the software. Nothing will. They are all CAN systems now. No way around it. But that is a nice link to fork cap removal and axle tools. And you're still talking about non current bikes. What bike do you have and i will tell you exactly what a independent shop can do. Penigali tools alone are over 10k. 899 tools around 8k. If you dont believe me call motocorsa. There about number 1 on the west coast. If he needs chain and sprockets, tires, oil changes and such, you can do it in youre garage. By the way i dont need to argue about anything. If i want to know something i can just call duc or send in a utec request. What do want to know dbxj:-)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they said the same thing about BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari ect, can systems and yet they were cracked months after there release and ducati has had a can system since what the early 2000's and all those have been cracked,
    we even used tuneboy for the 1098's to interface with them and that was a month after the 1098's release, and if it can't be cracked why are people selling the software and adapters that are able to reset those lights and map them and forums backing the same claims,
    is there something special about those ecu's did they hire some sort of super master hacker to lock them with software I realize its a canbus and I work on massive canbus systems in cars at my work so I can imagine how one on a newer duc would work and only on a smaller scale and possibly how the data is interfaced with but the principle of a can system is the same ,
    and did they invent new bolts to keep people from working on their bikes, did they somehow re engineer the laws of physics to keep someone from doing shims, how do they prevent all those people doing them on their own in their garage with step by step instructions on various fourms, why are all those parts readily available to the public if nobody can work on them but the dealer?
    I've worked in dealerships and same thing with all of them they say things just can't be done without ever looking around for alternatives because the manufacture say's it can't be done but people always find a way,
    and just about anything can be done by a competent mechanic that has the patience and know how to follow a step by step process from any manual especially if you have access to the FSM's or even the internet.
    Last edited by DBXJ; May 3rd, 2015 at 08:47 PM.
    ~George Orwell~

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice fellas! it's just a 696 monster with 1200 miles. Needs a new battery and don't feel like pullin the tank. And want to get the suspension dialed in. Basic bullshit.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well brian can definitely do that even talk you through suspension adjustments, might look into a battery tender as well.

another option with the suspension is sometimes at the track days at RFR there was a guy who would be out there doing nothing but suspension setups, his name is Dave Moss possibly one of the best suspension guys around and is pretty reasonable, but I'm not 100% he comes out this way anymore.
    Last edited by DBXJ; May 4th, 2015 at 12:20 AM.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBXJ View Post
    And they said the same thing about BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari ect, can systems and yet they were cracked months after there release and ducati has had a can system since what the early 2000's and all those have been cracked,..
    So far after decades of trying, nobody has been able to stop determined people from getting into and modifying code. Over the years I've been involved in designing systems that would be exceedingly difficult to crack, however that comes with costs (massive support costs, increased maintenance costs, bad publicity) that make it untenable. Anyone remember the trojan that Sony was trying to force on people to protect music?

Point is if you have something that currently can't be reprogrammed/accessed (2015 Chrysler products are being a problem now as I understand) odds are someone will find the time and crack it. Just keep your ears/eyes open or even better get involved and crack it yourself.
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ducati ECU tools for maintenance and reading and writing to the ECU are freely available for most Ducati ECUs. I'm not 100% sure about the recent generation of ECUs that Ducati is using. But I had a 2007 Multistrata with a 5AM ECU that I could do diagnostics on and reflashed the ignition and fuel maps at home (to the DP Racing maps).

One set of free tools can be had here (I used these with good results): http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/ (Moto Guzzi and Ducati use the same ECUs).

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand corrected:-)

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage.690 View Post
    I stand corrected:-)
    At least for now.. I'm sure the ECU manufacturers will find another scheme.. and for a few months or years.. nobody will be able to access the ECU.. then it'll be broken..and the cycle begins again.. It's amazing how much effort is wasted in this area.. and it's really hard to keep tabs on!
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
    At least for now.. I'm sure the ECU manufacturers will find another scheme.. and for a few months or years.. nobody will be able to access the ECU.. then it'll be broken..and the cycle begins again.. It's amazing how much effort is wasted in this area.. and it's really hard to keep tabs on!
    well as of right now automakers are making the argument that the code on the ECU is protected property and falls under the DMCA act and should be against the law to even look at the code, let alone tamper with it, but again I'm sure that wouldn't stop people.
    ~George Orwell~

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameron took great care great care of me today, thanks again man!

19. The Following User Likes chmichels's Post:

Toyota_James (May 8th, 2015)

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime!

21. The Following User Likes Rage.690's Post:

Toyota_James (May 8th, 2015)