User Tag List

Thread: If you were going to buy a GPS watch...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were going to buy a GPS watch...

What features do you like? I haven't checked them out much. Some have heart rate monitors either wrapping around your chest or sensor on the watch. Apple Watch does this also but still needs a cellular signal, that is why a GPS Garmin type watch would suit me better.

I would primarily use to monitor heart rate and measure hiking/walking/running distance outside cellular area.
    Imperial Troops have entered the base...Imperial Troops have enschzzzz...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    What features do you like? I haven't checked them out much. Some have heart rate monitors either wrapping around your chest or sensor on the watch. Apple Watch does this also but still needs a cellular signal, that is why a GPS Garmin type watch would suit me better.

I would primarily use to monitor heart rate and measure hiking/walking/running distance outside cellular area.
    I do some long distance running as well as long distance relay races (RTO and RMR).

I use an old Nike Sportwatch with a Polar HRM. It has a foot pod for indoors or non-gps use. It tracks all the stats I need and uploads the data to the NikePlus website.

They can be had used for well under $100.

There are a bunch of Garmin models that pretty much do the same thing as well as GarminConnect that uploads all your data to the web.

You could go cheap and use a stand alone HRM and Pre or Post track your route with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the big problem with GPS watch is the battery life. Because of that, it's not like a watch that we're accustomed to at all, but more like a wrist-band device you have to charge everyday. Even the Apple watch has a recognized battery life of "18 hours." That's devolution. If you omit the GPS feature, you can get everything else on the wrist to run for much longer. Because of the power consumption, GPS fits better on a handheld device, both for the bigger battery and for the habit we have to charge it more frequently. I prefer receive-only, but most people carry an AT&T or Verizon tracking device that also allows Apple or Google to maintain location history.

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I think the big problem with GPS watch is the battery life. Because of that, it's not like a watch that we're accustomed to at all, but more like a wrist-band device you have to charge everyday. Even the Apple watch has a recognized battery life of "18 hours." That's devolution. If you omit the GPS feature, you can get everything else on the wrist to run for much longer. Because of the power consumption, GPS fits better on a handheld device, both for the bigger battery and for the habit we have to charge it more frequently. I prefer receive-only, but most people carry an AT&T or Verizon tracking device that also allows Apple or Google to maintain location history.
    Not really accurate. My wife's Garmin holds a charge for at least 5 days. I just asked her how often she charges it and she said, "I don't know...whenever I think about it." So at least with the Garvin battery life is not an issue.
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin 410 for running. I've done 4 hour marathons and it's lasted with GPS signal. My wife has the 220 and the 225 just came out which has an optical heart rate monitor on the watch. This means no strap. I can't tell you how long my battery lasts since I turn GPS off when I'm done running and so does my wife but I can probably make a week of running (40 minutes to an hour and 40 minutes a day) before needing to charge it before a long run and that's mostly so I'm not out running and it dies on me. I can't remember of it dieing on a run except a few times where I kind of knew it was coming.

Mine is touch screen. If it's too cold the screen wont work just like your touchscreen phone. The 220 has buttons instead of a screen. We took ours hiking Marlette lake and that was 12 miles and about 5 hours. My wife just hit the stop button at lunch and started it back up. She left it on for another 2 days with the timer going trying to let it die (with GPS off) before it died.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, most people in the 1970's wouldn't be happy if their watch died after 5 days. Granted, they didn't have GPS on it, but my point was that the GPS devices have a battery life that most people are more accustomed to having on their cell phone than on their watch.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Well, most people in the 1970's wouldn't be happy if their watch died after 5 days. Granted, they didn't have GPS on it, but my point was that the GPS devices have a battery life that most people are more accustomed to having on their cell phone than on their watch.
    The watches in the 1970s couldn't tell you within 20 feet where you were. It takes a lot of energy to send a signal to satellites then receive the signal.

I I just ran to the peak of Mount Rose. My watch said I was 10,787'. Wikipedia says the peak is 10,778. Legally I don't think they can get more accurate or people could probably use them for weapons. It also recorded my heart rate, marked every mile, recorded my heart rate and the elapsed total time to the second all by me hitting one button. It was a 2.5 hr run and I finished at 10. I turned GPS off and now my watch says it is 64% battery life. It's a garmin 410. I ran 4 miles with the wife without gps (she told me how far we went) and it used 9%.

Check eek out dcrainmaker.com. TONS of reviews. I kind of think the new 225 is sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hand held Garmin which might just be good enough for me. I run and mostly wanted the HRM. I like the AppleWatch for that.
    Imperial Troops have entered the base...Imperial Troops have enschzzzz...