Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

axle flip on small single axle travel trailer

I'm looking to get more ground clearance, I've already sourced the correct axle flip kit as well as a new double step that'll just bolt in place of my existing single.

My main concern is that I don't really need 6" of height, 3 or so would be fine. However from what I can axle flip is the easiest way to get ground clearance. The only other option that would work (I think) would be putting new spring mounts on the trailer. That seems like a huge hassle/cost compared to axle flip.

Larger tire wouldn't fit, and the brakes are just adequate as it stands now.

Figured there's a lot of experience lifting things around here, maybe there are other options I'm unaware of.. Or maybe the flip is the ticket and I shouldn't worry about it.. just carry extra blocks to make sure stab jacks can all reach the ground..
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of axle, Tortion or leaf spring?

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    leaf spring..

NOTE: 'axle flip' is what the trailer communities tend to call and over/under conversion.. axle orientation stays the same.. dexter over/under conversion includes new perch/ubolts/plate which is what I'm planning on using.

Name:  SDC10285.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  123.6 KB
    Last edited by braindead0; July 6th, 2015 at 02:46 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easy way is to place 5he axle under the springs. Or longer shackles can be selected to acomadate the high you want.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    The easy way is to place 5he axle under the springs. Or longer shackles can be selected to acomadate the high you want.
    Moving to underslung is the idea.. I used the 'axle flip' terminology that most trailer communities use to mean an over-under conversion..

The shackles are currently 2 1/4" bolt center to bolt center, I don't think I can get much lift out of longer shackles before it becomes a stability issue being that trailers tend to be subject to a lot of side forces (wind and the like).

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the above picture your exact trailer or just a picture for representation? If it's yours it looks like you can run a pinch shorter shackle if need be, and it looks like there is room to re-drill the front spring hanger higher up. So I would go spring over then just move the spring up the mount to bring it down to your liking

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Petal View Post
    Is the above picture your exact trailer or just a picture for representation? If it's yours it looks like you can run a pinch shorter shackle if need be, and it looks like there is room to re-drill the front spring hanger higher up. So I would go spring over then just move the spring up the mount to bring it down to your liking
    Good idea, yup that's my trailer.