User Tag List

Thread: Anyone had their Power Commander equipped bikes tuned on a Dyno in town?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone had their Power Commander equipped bikes tuned on a Dyno in town?

I recently bought a 2004 Yamaha Warrior. I love the look and power. It had several mods when I bought it, one of which was a Power Commander III usb. The PCIII remaps the fuel delivery. The bike also has Vance & Hines pipes on it, Big Shots Staggered. Unfortunately, a bit of investigation on my part revealed that the fuel map loaded into the PCIII was for a completely stock bike. I downloaded some other maps and got one that is smoother and has more power.

But the best way to do it is to have a DynoJet approved tuner create a custom map for my bike on their Dyno. There are 6 in Reno, but I have read a bit about it and not all tuners are created equal. A qualified tuner tech isn't necessarily the best tuner tech, and I've read that some pretty much suck at it. If i'm going to fork out the cash, I want the best I can get. I also want one that can tune both cylinders individually on a dual exhaust, as air cooled v-twins work best that way.

Anyone have any experience with Dyno tuners in Reno? Bike or car? Who's good, and who's not?

And some pics, cause we all like them. lol

Brizz

Be careful infringing on peoples 2nd amendment rights with your 1st amendment rights, because you probably wouldn't like it the other way around.

FJ-40 on 37's, locked/posi. Stock Grand Cherokee.

Looking for 68-74 FJ-40 doors.

2. The Following User Likes Brizzman's Post:

69cj5 (July 24th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dylan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizzman View Post
    I recently bought a 2004 Yamaha Warrior. I love the look and power. It had several mods when I bought it, one of which was a Power Commander III usb. The PCIII remaps the fuel delivery. The bike also has Vance & Hines pipes on it, Big Shots Staggered. Unfortunately, a bit of investigation on my part revealed that the fuel map loaded into the PCIII was for a completely stock bike. I downloaded some other maps and got one that is smoother and has more power.

But the best way to do it is to have a DynoJet approved tuner create a custom map for my bike on their Dyno. There are 6 in Reno, but I have read a bit about it and not all tuners are created equal. A qualified tuner tech isn't necessarily the best tuner tech, and I've read that some pretty much suck at it. If i'm going to fork out the cash, I want the best I can get. I also want one that can tune both cylinders individually on a dual exhaust, as air cooled v-twins work best that way.

Anyone have any experience with Dyno tuners in Reno? Bike or car? Who's good, and who's not?

And some pics, cause we all like them. lol

Back in the day, when Big valley honda was still worth a shit I had my gsxr 600 dyno tuned with my power ccommander. My bike ran really lean after some exhaust mods and intake changes. They cleared it right up
    O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones - it bones for thee. -Bender

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all nice Warrior...
    I've always liked those bikes and worked at a Yamaha dealer in the early 2000s. I got to test ride a few of them right outta the box.

I went through DynoJet training in school and have a piece of paper somewhere saying I'm certified for what its worth...
    For the PCIIIusb on your bike and "only" a set of pipes I'd download and run the 403-503 map available right from dynojet, run it and start from there.
    http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=124&yr=2004

The gains you see from a full custom dyno tune likely would not be worth the extra money. Also consider what you are riding, the power is nice but I think you'd be more concerned with smooth delivery and reliability. You're likely not chasing a podium or a few tenths on the strip.

I've been out of the motorcycle industry for a while now and all of my riding and tuning was done at sea level so I really don't have much experience with the thinner air up here. Another suggestion is to go to the forums and see if someone else has a custom map they'd like to share with you from a similarly set up bike at a similar altitude. The nice thing about the PCIII is how easy it is to swap maps and see what works, what you like and what you don't.
    Mark KG7LTE

5. The Following 3 Users Like Dieder's Post:

braindead0 (July 24th, 2015), Brizzman (July 24th, 2015), seal13il (July 25th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go see Dan Kyle. It's a bit of a ride, but worth it. Besides, there's plenty of other things to do in Monterey.

7. The Following User Likes Ben's Post:

Brizzman (July 24th, 2015)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can wait till Street Vibrations, the Power Commander guys are usually there with their trailer dyno. My friend had his done and it was only 75$. He said you can watch the computer and see what they adjust. They were very honest and professional. I was thinking of getting the Power Vision since you can go for a ride and adjust your tune. Its a dyno on the street.

btw, nice bike
    N7TJX

9. The Following User Likes CharlieMan's Post:

Brizzman (July 24th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I love it so far. I was looking for a Victory when I came across a Warrior a couple months ago. That one was priced a bit high, but got me looking for others. I found quite a few in the bay area, Stockton, Sac, etc., but no solid sellers I was willing to go drive that far to check on. Then this one popped up and I grabbed it.

I've tried the 403-010, 403-502, 403-503, and 403-505. Turns out the 502 and 503 are the same map unless I'm missing something. So far the 505 seems the smoothest and has the best throttle response and torque.

I am on the RSWarrior.com forum and the advice there is to get a custom map. Even if another bike has the same set up, most of them say a custom map is worth it. That's also where I heard about the huge differences in tuning abilities.

To be clear, the bike runs pretty damned good as it is, but it could run better. I'm also considering a VBAK intake, and I haven't found a map for my exhaust and the VBAK yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieder View Post
    First of all nice Warrior...
    I've always liked those bikes and worked at a Yamaha dealer in the early 2000s. I got to test ride a few of them right outta the box.

I went through DynoJet training in school and have a piece of paper somewhere saying I'm certified for what its worth...
    For the PCIIIusb on your bike and "only" a set of pipes I'd download and run the 403-503 map available right from dynojet, run it and start from there.
    http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dl=124&yr=2004

The gains you see from a full custom dyno tune likely would not be worth the extra money. Also consider what you are riding, the power is nice but I think you'd be more concerned with smooth delivery and reliability. You're likely not chasing a podium or a few tenths on the strip.

I've been out of the motorcycle industry for a while now and all of my riding and tuning was done at sea level so I really don't have much experience with the thinner air up here. Another suggestion is to go to the forums and see if someone else has a custom map they'd like to share with you from a similarly set up bike at a similar altitude. The nice thing about the PCIII is how easy it is to swap maps and see what works, what you like and what you don't.
    Last edited by Brizzman; July 24th, 2015 at 02:46 PM.
    Brizz

Be careful infringing on peoples 2nd amendment rights with your 1st amendment rights, because you probably wouldn't like it the other way around.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's good, it may be worth it, but I'm concerned the difference in altitude may make a difference. What's the name of the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Go see Dan Kyle. It's a bit of a ride, but worth it. Besides, there's plenty of other things to do in Monterey.
    Brizz

12. The Following User Likes Brizzman's Post:

69cj5 (September 27th, 2015)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $75 sounds great! And I'd hope that they know how to do it right. How did your friends tune turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieMan View Post
    If you can wait till Street Vibrations, the Power Commander guys are usually there with their trailer dyno. My friend had his done and it was only 75$. He said you can watch the computer and see what they adjust. They were very honest and professional. I was thinking of getting the Power Vision since you can go for a ride and adjust your tune. Its a dyno on the street.

btw, nice bike
    Brizz

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad Yuill at Freedom cycle did mine and it was magic.
    He is an old school racer from way back and a great guy.

15. The Following User Likes Beargrease's Post:

69cj5 (September 27th, 2015)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $75 sounds great! And I'd hope that they know how to do it right. How did your friends tune turn out?
    Mike's bike had some issues. They had to do his tune twice. The printout showed a miss in the upper throttle range. They were able to diagnose a bad fuel filter. Mike got another filter and they didn't charge him for the second dyno run.

I would also recommend Freedom cycle. They did my tires and I was pretty impressed.
    N7TJX

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's good, it may be worth it, but I'm concerned the difference in altitude may make a difference. What's the name of the shop?

That's a valid concern with an open loop system but it would have to be addressed by a sensor in the system and not the map. If it had to be addressed by the map, then the bike would not work any better with any of the pre-canned maps, and even the factory map would work poorly. I'm not familiar with the Warrior's system, but most open loop systems have a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, and an intake air (or cylinder head) temperature sensor. These sensors are responsible for providing the needed signal for the ECU to compensate for detected temperature and pressure. That's how the fuel injection can work on hot days, cold days, at high altitude, and at sea level.

Dan Kyle's shop is Kyle Racing. kyleusa.com His focus is on sport and track bikes, but he's been tuning power commanders from the beginning, and been running dynos and tuning bikes for over 35 years. He's won 5 AMA National Roadracing Championships (as crew chief) and won the AMA Tuner of the Year award twice. If there's a better tuner out there, I doubt they'd be willing to help you with your Warrior, but I'm pretty sure Dan would do it. Besides, after you finish at the shop, you can take the bike down 1 from Point Lobos to Julia Burns Park:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    That's a valid concern with an open loop system but it would have to be addressed by a sensor in the system and not the map. If it had to be addressed by the map, then the bike would not work any better with any of the pre-canned maps, and even the factory map would work poorly. I'm not familiar with the Warrior's system, but most open loop systems have a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, and an intake air (or cylinder head) temperature sensor. These sensors are responsible for providing the needed signal for the ECU to compensate for detected temperature and pressure. That's how the fuel injection can work on hot days, cold days, at high altitude, and at sea level.

Dan Kyle's shop is Kyle Racing. kyleusa.com His focus is on sport and track bikes, but he's been tuning power commanders from the beginning, and been running dynos and tuning bikes for over 35 years. He's won 5 AMA National Roadracing Championships (as crew chief) and won the AMA Tuner of the Year award twice. If there's a better tuner out there, I doubt they'd be willing to help you with your Warrior, but I'm pretty sure Dan would do it. Besides, after you finish at the shop, you can take the bike down 1 from Point Lobos to Julia Burns Park:
    Good to know about the altitude. I did some research and the Warrior does have the sensors you mentioned. Dan Kyle's experience sounds like exactly what I want. It is quite a distance though.
    I have some time before I'm going to get a tune. I want to have all the mods I'm going to get done first. That will probably only be a VBAK and AIS block off, but I'm still looking at options.

That pic is awesome! How hard is it to find that park?
    Brizz

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The park is right on Highway 1 just south of Big Sur. It's Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. From Point Lobos you can ride over the Bixby Bridge, through Big Sur, and down to the park. The whole ride is well worth it. The ride between Reno and Monterey, I don't know about. You can make it more interesting by taking 88 from Minden to Jackson, and ride 49 through Angels Camp, Jamestown, down to Mariposa. From there, find your way to 152. 152 is interesting from Gilroy to Watsonville, but 156 through San Juan Batista is good too.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's Street Vibrations time and I went and checked it out. I didn't see the Power Commander mobile dyno. That's a bummer, 'cause I was looking forward to having them tune my bike. Oh well, I picked up a throttle lock for more convenient highway cruisin'.
    Brizz

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a old serial port power commander that I never got around to installing on my VTX. If it wasn't burning so much oil I might trade it up for the new Power Commander V and have it tuned but I don't know whether I am going to sink any more money in it.

One year for street vibes they had the dyno drags trailer over by street rider. Got to race my roommate on his dyna and whoop his ass. That was fun stuff.
    A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I was expecting to see it at the main event. I didn't even think of looking over there. I'll cruise down Market street and see what I find.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Brizz

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see it thursday and it has been a few years so I wish you luck.
    A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never made it down to Market st. It guess it wasn't really that important, 'cause I never made time for it. We went up to VC instead. Saw lots of bikes all over. It was a nice ride back in the evening with less trafic.
    Brizz