User Tag List

Thread: upgrade rear leaf springs on stock 2010 Toyo Tundra?

Real Name
    George
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upgrade rear leaf springs on stock 2010 Toyo Tundra?

I have a stock 2010 Toyota Tundra. I am going to be pulling a heavy load, two axle trailer with about 5000 lbs. Last time I pulled this much weight the bed carried most of the weight and the leaf springs were compressed almost to the frame. I was told by some good old boys in Alabama that I needed to get 1 ton or 3/4 ton replacement leaf springs so it will not sag so much when I am towing a load. I went to a mod shop and the guy told me "not only no but Hell no". If i could find replacement springs and did the swap my kidneys would pay the price. My best option would be to get air bags for towing. That way I keep the normal ride for the 99% of the driving I do but I would still have the air bags to lift up the rear when towingWhat do you guys think?

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Cole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First think that comes to mind for me is an add-a-leaf in the rear. That will raise it though. Air bags come to mind as well as you said. I'm looking to do a spring replacement/beef up on my 02 Tundra as well, any decent load (not much when the camper shell is on) sags the rear bad and rides the bumpstops.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alexander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had air bags for my jeep when I did towing between here and Oregon. Worked well for me.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell it and buy a Diesel.

5. The Following User Likes candidryanv's Post:

Dirty Harry (January 15th, 2016)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Zack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight distribution hitch makes a huge difference. I pull a trailer that's about 5k lbs loaded with my taco on the crap stock springs...once the WD hitch is set the truck sits nice and level.

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 airbags.

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upgrade rear leaf springs on stock 2010 Toyo Tundra?

WD hitch and air bags. My stock spring tundra does fine with 8500 behind it. Sags a bit, but no problem with control or acceleration/braking
    Relentless off-road Fabrication | Sparks NV | 775-200-0544
    Fabricator of high quality off-road armor, 4x4 accessories, and more!
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube

Real Name
    George
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help and replies. I am going to look into helper springs and airbags. I am just a little bit down on airbags because I have a friend that installed airbags on his Ford F250 diesel rig to haul an Airstream trailer cross country. He seemed to have some problems keeping the bags on the springs. I don't tow very often and do not usually haul that heavy a load. When I do though it is usually cross country.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Zack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garrambide View Post
    Thanks for the help and replies. I am going to look into helper springs and airbags. I am just a little bit down on airbags because I have a friend that installed airbags on his Ford F250 diesel rig to haul an Airstream trailer cross country. He seemed to have some problems keeping the bags on the springs. I don't tow very often and do not usually haul that heavy a load. When I do though it is usually cross country.
    Are you using a weight distribution hitch? If not try one before spending money on airbags or helper springs...especially if you aren't usually towing or carrying heavy loads.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much weight are you putting on the tongue? It sounds like you'd benefit more from rebalancing the load versus improving the springs on the truck.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Tim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Airbags for sure! Best of both worlds. Ran them on my last two (repo)tow trucks service truck and the Rubiconlimo front and back! Always the perfect spring rate for the load. If your friend had a problem with his, it was the wrong application or not the best install (or combination of both). Millions of heavy trucks and trillions of miles can't be wrong.
    Fare well, Peace be with you, and may the forces of evil become confused on thier way to your house!

Founding member HILLS ANGELS
    www.hillsangels4x4.com
    KA3WTF
    Member ORMHOF
    Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Rod Hall Race team
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691