Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brett
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof top tent

I'm in the market for a roof top tent, looking at the Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized.

http://tepuitents.com/products/kukenam-ruggedized

Any vendors in town deal with these tents or RTT in general? Any feedback on different brands?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes with your search. I don't know any local vendors currently, but considered RTT's before. The Eezi Awn has a great reputation, but it's bulky and pricey. The Hannibals are the same. The nylon tents might be a better deal, but still look pricey for what you get. I heard the pop-up kind like the Maggiolina are a lot faster and easier to setup, but cost still more and provide even less space. I like my high-end four-person ground tent, and it only cost a fraction of what those RTT cost for nearly twice the space. I'm moving more toward backpacking now, so my next one will be an ultralight just for unexpected weather. I usually go with my two sons, so its worth it versus so many bivy sacks. Before that, I'm going to tie our heavier ground tent on a sled and do some snow camping on skis. I might take it out paddling next summer too.

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to own an ARB Simpson III with the optional annex. It was a great tent and held up amazing for the 3 years I used it.

As far as a dealer, I'm pretty sure 4wheel parts carries them.
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.

Real Name
    dennis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an ARB like the one in the video I bought through Cabelas web site a few years ago. I like it quite a bit and it has held up reasonably well. It says you can store your sleeping gear in it but I found if it is more than a few blankets it becomes too thick and the cover won't fit back on. The cover is zippered all the way around to take it on and off and is the weakest part of the tent. The zipper fails frequently and is more difficult during a dusty trip (which all of mine are). The zipper really sucks. It helps if you wet the zipper when using it. Water acts almost like a lubricant on the plastic zipper but doesn't attract more dust after it dries.
    I mounted mine to my jeep trailer and use it for base camp. I think the biggest disadvantage when mounting it on your vehicle is your vehicle is out of commission until the tent is put away. If you want to go somewhere you have to pack up. The next disadvantage he doesn't mention in the video is it is pretty difficult to get it on and off the vehicle by yourself. I put it on the trailer by myself because it is only about four feet high. You would need help or something mechanical to get it on top of a vehicle.
    I would like to have one of the hard shell models but can't justify the money since I already have this one. It is what I would buy if I did it again. Much quicker to set up.

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tepui are nice, I have a few friends with them.
    I personally own a TJM Yulara tent, very similar to the Simpson 2, the CVT Shasta, and Tepui Autana. The next tent I purchase will likely be a CVT as I have worked with the owner a bit in the past and their tents are very comparable the others, some with a slightly better price tag.
    As mentioned, my zipper to my cover has issues and this is not all that uncommon. Aside from this, my tent has treated us very well. Surprisingly warm in the cool nights, and with the screened windows open on the warm nights it's comfortable as well. Have yet to get wet in my tent, been through several rainstorms in it too
    Relentless off-road Fabrication | Sparks NV | 775-200-0544
    Fabricator of high quality off-road armor, 4x4 accessories, and more!
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ours is from 3 dog camping out of australia.
    http://www.3dogcamping.eu/en/

mounted it to the trailer for all the reasons dennis notes. love it. if on ur rig, another hassle is the tall climb in/out and possibly have climb over ur spouse to get in/out and also if on a flexy suspension rig, any movement inside the RTT moves the whole mary around getting it leveled out is a pain as well.

for short runs i just use a tent cot. a lot easier.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

7. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

NEVADA (January 13th, 2016)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm the Newb, so I'll ask the question: Why? What is the point of the tent on the roof unless in territory with fierce nocturnal predators? I'm sure there is a good answer - I just don't know what it is. Thanks for your patience.

9. The Following User Likes DJRENO's Post:

RelentlessTaco (January 14th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    OK, I'm the Newb, so I'll ask the question: Why? What is the point of the tent on the roof unless in territory with fierce nocturnal predators? I'm sure there is a good answer - I just don't know what it is. Thanks for your patience.
    Comfort, convenience, portability, security and basic cool factor.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

11. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

RelentlessTaco (January 14th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever have a tree fort?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Glen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've ever had a couple of bears come through your campground at 2AM looking for a snack, the question answers itself. Ever since then, I've thought of camping in a tent as being the filling in a bear taco...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a good question. I don't think roof top tents are for everybody, or for every situation. After using mine for two hunting trips this year, there are a few things I really like. Its nice to just be able to stop almost anywhere, hop out, crank the tent up, and jump in. No looking for a nice flat spot with minimal rocks. All your bedding is dry inside and ready to go. Even in a seriously stiff wind, this tent is really stable and doesn't flap in the least. Its definitely a bunch of weight up high, so not great for any serious wheeling. Its for a more mobile style of camping where you're moving from spot to spot, since the tent kind of anchors your vehicle until you pack it back up (takes about 3 minutes to put it away).

15. The Following User Likes turbobrick's Post:

NEVADA (January 13th, 2016)

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You stay a lot drier in a tent that is off the ground. The last time I camped with my RTT in the rain, all of the guys I camped with had rivers running through their tents. I on the other hand was high and dry, as they say. There were only two things I didn't like about it; as people have said once you set up the tent you are stuck until the tent is put away. The other was climbing up and down that ladder when I was drunk, or at three in the morning when I had to take a piss.
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer their views

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of benefits.
    No need for a bunch of flat ground area, tent is elevated so water drainage in a storm is no concern, easy to set up (5 minutes), durable (doesn't mind 30mph winds at all), warmer in cold weather, cooler in warm weather, built in mattress, safety being elevated from predators on the ground
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoe1028 View Post
    Ever have a tree fort?
    Yes, when I was 10.....

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im starting to look for one of these as well. I just want something super basic and absolutely as light as possible. My rig is already tall and heavy enough as it is. Seems like all the ones I've looked at are 200lbs ish. Seems like a lot to put up that high.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alec
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. The way I see it, RTTs are great for more of an overland use rather than hard core wheeling. Im with Mr_Scott though...light weight and bare bones would be what I would look for.

Oddly enough I was out at Moonrocks a few weeks ago and was given a brochure by someone who works at Cascadia Vehicle Tents. Another option for those shopping around in the market for a RTT

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Scott View Post
    Im starting to look for one of these as well. I just want something super basic and absolutely as light as possible. My rig is already tall and heavy enough as it is. Seems like all the ones I've looked at are 200lbs ish. Seems like a lot to put up that high.
    Mines only about 125lbs. And plenty big for 2 people. Even at that weight it's noticeable on my rig since there's no sway bars on.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
    Mines only about 125lbs. And plenty big for 2 people. Even at that weight it's noticeable on my rig since there's no sway bars on.
    That's getting better. I'm in the same boat, no sway bars here either. After I build a home for my spare it will free up enough interior space to just roll out a sleeping bag, I really only need room for one. We have the glamper for when it's the whole fam.

Ideally, I'd need something I could access from the rear of the rig via a gobi ladder on the hatch and a tent that folded out over the hood.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brett
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now decided on a CVT Mt Shasta. More bang for the buck. They will be in Sacramento Jan 21-24 with a bunch of vendors.

25. The Following User Likes renopride's Post:

RelentlessTaco (January 17th, 2016)