User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Damn allergies

  1. #1
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Damn allergies

    When ever the wind picks up like this my allergies go nuts. I havent had plant allergies for most of my life, I'm not sure what I'm allergic to Reno that wind agrevates the situation.

    Any help identifying what I'm allergic to and what is the best medication/treatment?

    I guess I should mention it makes my throat itch and makes me cough.
    Last edited by DaGimp; March 14th, 2016 at 01:33 PM.
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  2. #2
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    27 Jun 2008
    Location
    Sparks
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,529
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty standard "plant allergies" (Hay fever). Dust and current active pollen are the culprits. Best way to get rid of them is to go see an allergy doctor and go through a shot program. This is not a single shot, but many shots that help you build up immunities. Did this many years ago and have not had allergies since.

    Or, you can live with it like most do. Ugh. I definitely know your pain.

  3. #3
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Aug 2012
    Location
    sparks
    Posts
    1,193
    Real Name
    dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried all the over counter meds. and I have found only one that ever worked for me, it was Claritin D 24 hour.

  4. The Following 2 Users Like willys dave's Post:

    Dirty Harry (March 26th, 2016), LEKCAH38 (1 Week Ago)

  5. #4
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard to justify spending months and lots of money getting the allergy treatment when I really only get bad when there is no rain and lots of wind. However my brother had very bad allergies and he did the treatment and they worked great.

    I've lived in area's with a lot more vegetation and never really had bad allergies. In Reno I'm fine until the wind picks up
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  6. #5
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    27 Jun 2008
    Location
    Sparks
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,529
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different areas have different types of pollen. Reno has lots of grasses, pine, etc. Other areas just have different pollens that you are likely not allergic or not as allergic to. Also, Reno has more wind than a lot of places, making pollen fly farther and more often.

    The only other thing to do is rotate the multiple types of allergy meds. using the same one over and over makes your system immune to it. If you rotate every 6 months or so they will work better.

  7. #6
    I piss excellence.
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,975
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This shits been really bad lately. I can usually take it but this has been bad. My eyes have been itching and lose running constantly
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    haha If I have wood for more than 4 hours due to Viagra I am not calling there hot line. I am calling that woman's sisters, cousins, friends & quite possibly her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

  8. #7
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    This shits been really bad lately. I can usually take it but this has been bad. My eyes have been itching and lose running constantly
    It sucks, I was recently staying with a friend who had 3 cats. I'm allergic to cats just enough for them to drive me crazy. I was itching my face about 100 times a day, cats suck.

    This plant allergy what ever it is makes my throat itch and I cough until sometimes I puke, suckss.
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  9. #8
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2010
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    3,173
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a healthy person?
    Not over weight?
    Pooping normally?
    Eating mostly green things?
    Able to walk 3 miles without feeling like deep fried death?
    Sleeping 6 hours non stop?

    Allergies are magnified when you are out of whack.

    It's like how good shocks make your brakes work better.... Go figure.

  10. The Following User Likes ChickenLittle's Post:

    CashMoney (March 15th, 2016)

  11. #9
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Dr tell me that strong allergies are actually good sign of immune system health.

    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  12. #10
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    15 Sep 2015
    Location
    Silver Springs
    Posts
    132
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always done the local honey thing. When I move to a new area I eat honey harvested locally so that all the pollen and allergens are in it and after eating it on toast for a month or two my nose running and all that junk goes away.

  13. The Following User Likes MCBogger's Post:

    Dirty Harry (March 26th, 2016)

  14. #11
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBogger View Post
    I've always done the local honey thing. When I move to a new area I eat honey harvested locally so that all the pollen and allergens are in it and after eating it on toast for a month or two my nose running and all that junk goes away.
    I've tried that and I just cant get myself to eat honey, I have never really cared for it even as a child.
    Last edited by DaGimp; March 18th, 2016 at 03:01 PM.
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  15. #12
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterdays winds almost put me in the hospital, Apparently my allergies are strong enough to cause me asthma like symptoms. I got winded just walking to the bathroom to throwup from coughing so hard. I even got a little winded just rolling over in bed...

    I said screw it the bottles recommended maximum of 1 per day for allergy med, I'm taking close to 6 and I can finally breathe.
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  16. #13
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    22 Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,752
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing I have found for my allergies is cardio. When I run, my sinuses are cleared up for a long time.

  17. #14
    I piss excellence.
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,975
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    Yesterdays winds almost put me in the hospital, Apparently my allergies are strong enough to cause me asthma like symptoms. I got winded just walking to the bathroom to throwup from coughing so hard. I even got a little winded just rolling over in bed...

    I said screw it the bottles recommended maximum of 1 per day for allergy med, I'm taking close to 6 and I can finally breathe.
    Its not just you, I have had my eyes watering non stop for the last few days as well as my sinus. Never in my life have I had any issues like this before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    haha If I have wood for more than 4 hours due to Viagra I am not calling there hot line. I am calling that woman's sisters, cousins, friends & quite possibly her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

  18. #15
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    01 Feb 2012
    Location
    Reno
    Age
    35
    Posts
    224
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to know I'm not the only one...
    Never really allergic to much when I lived and grew up in Va. Moved to Fl and the palm pollen only gave me a little reaction a few days out of the year.
    Been here for 4 years and have never been allergic to anything until the past few weeks.

    Guess it's all the damn water causing stuff to grow and spew their plant jizz all over.

    A couple zyrtec and I'm a little better. I also just bought a NeilMed netipot at WalMart, I call it my nose douche.
    It is cheap (like $12), drug free so you can use it whenever, feels good, and It does seem to help flush out my sinuses and let me breathe. I have found that distilled water is easier and more comfortable than using boiled tap.


    http://shop.neilmed.com/Sinus-Rinse-...&searchSize=12
    Mark KG7LTE

  19. #16
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco has flownase on sale right now. First time I've tried and that stuff works fast, at least for me.
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  20. The Following 2 Users Like DaGimp's Post:

    CashMoney (March 24th, 2016), chevydan3 (April 4th, 2016)

  21. #17
    I piss excellence.
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,975
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally went and got some kind of shot from my dr, its seeming to help a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    haha If I have wood for more than 4 hours due to Viagra I am not calling there hot line. I am calling that woman's sisters, cousins, friends & quite possibly her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

  22. #18
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    07 Apr 2005
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,405
    Real Name
    Harry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    I finally went and got some kind of shot from my dr, its seeming to help a lot
    Gee thanks! Can you find out what he gave you?

  23. #19
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    25 Jan 2010
    Location
    Elko
    Posts
    2,685
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Kenalog shot and done! It sounds like thats what you got Steve. I tried last year and I'm sold, went already for this years shot.

    Hell with the side affects, works like magic for the allergies. I'll pay the toll gladly.

    I mean who doesn't want a shot of steroids to the ass anyway?

    For real though, the doctor at the urgent care tried to talk me out of it. Told him don't care don't care, had it before, want it again. Last doctor recommended it. Might not be for everyone though, apparently it can have some serious side affects. Look into it. Best thing I've ever done, personally. Usually every spring I'm miserable with a stuffy runny nose, can't sleep, can't breathe, miserable... But Kenalog works like F M

  24. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

    Dirty Harry (March 31st, 2016)

  25. #20
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    2,954
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont overlook your house. We just found a buch of mold and standing water in the crawlspace. Our kids have had bad allergies since november. Now we know why.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

  26. #21
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    Dont overlook your house. We just found a buch of mold and standing water in the crawlspace. Our kids have had bad allergies since november. Now we know why.
    I have a very bad mold allergy. I have experienced living in a house with mold before. I spent a crap load on Dr visits before we discovered the mold, I'm amazed it didnt put me in the hospital.

    That being said my allergies only really kick on when its windy, even the slightest wind. Which makes me think its not mold

    I've got a high quality high volume HEPA filter I've been running now 24/7. That has as least allowed me to sleep and work (I work from home).
    Last edited by DaGimp; March 31st, 2016 at 01:44 PM.
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  27. #22
    I piss excellence.
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,975
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    One Kenalog shot and done! It sounds like thats what you got Steve. I tried last year and I'm sold, went already for this years shot.

    Hell with the side affects, works like magic for the allergies. I'll pay the toll gladly.

    I mean who doesn't want a shot of steroids to the ass anyway?

    For real though, the doctor at the urgent care tried to talk me out of it. Told him don't care don't care, had it before, want it again. Last doctor recommended it. Might not be for everyone though, apparently it can have some serious side affects. Look into it. Best thing I've ever done, personally. Usually every spring I'm miserable with a stuffy runny nose, can't sleep, can't breathe, miserable... But Kenalog works like F M
    That sounds like what they gave me. It was the only allergy shot that i've ever heard of anyways. Well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    haha If I have wood for more than 4 hours due to Viagra I am not calling there hot line. I am calling that woman's sisters, cousins, friends & quite possibly her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

  28. #23
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    2,954
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://xylitol.org/xylitol-uses/medi...its-of-xylitol

    We've been using this for a year now pretty steady. I normally have 2-3 bad sinus infections a year. Now im only getting them after a bad, bad cold or the flu.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

  29. #24
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    7,412
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    http://xylitol.org/xylitol-uses/medi...its-of-xylitol

    We've been using this for a year now pretty steady. I normally have 2-3 bad sinus infections a year. Now im only getting them after a bad, bad cold or the flu.
    Doesnt appear to have anything for respiratory allergies which is my problem.

    http://www.amazon.com/XLEAR-Natural-...ar+nasal+spray
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

  30. #25
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    09 Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    2,954
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but it doesn't help bacteria grow like saline can. Its also anti-fungal so you dont get other nastiness living in your sinuses.

    If you are looking for local honey, there are several producers that sell at the Farmers markets in the summer. It helped me a lot when we first moved here.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Similar Threads

  1. Damn Allergies
    By DaGimp in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM
  2. Allergies
    By DaGimp in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
  3. Is it possible to all the sudden have allergies?
    By JeepersCreepers in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: April 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
  4. Damn, A.S.
    By Roach in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 1st, 2009, 05:18 AM
  5. Damn!!!!
    By izzy in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •