Thread: Charter officially sux

I support Reno4x4!

Charter officially sux

Widespread outage. No wifi, no roku, no finish movie, no fun, momma not happy. Ugh...
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    back on (wifi) about 6 minutes ago here

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    L.D.
    I hate their new menu set-up, it just plane sucks
    I'M NOT A DAMN HIPPY, I'M A WELL GROOMED MOUNTAIN MAN
    YOUR JUST JEALOUS BECOUSE THE VOICES SPEAK TO ME

4. The Following User Likes L.D.'s Post:

MARKUNIT10 (April 13th, 2016)

Come over to the Darkside (Uverse). A little more expensive but I've never had an issue.

6. The Following User Likes Innoc's Post:

Reeves (April 13th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Charter had been up for 6 years solid at my house until this summer when I lost it twice, two years without an outage at my old house. I didn't notice a loss last night. I'm consistently getting 60+ mbps on my home network, which is important because my wife works from home and has a massive amount of data going through.

Uverse still isn't as fast, and it's still an AT&T Internet product. Years ago when DSL was the hot thing, and their 3mbps service was blazing fast and new, I had it in an apartment. I dealt with nearly weekly phone calls in because the Internet was out, fully acknowledging the wiring in the complex was the main reason. But one week I was transferred to a tier 3 service guy who started running a lot of tests and seemed to really want to help. As he was muttering the settings to himself, he told me I was capped at 1.5mbps. I told him I should be getting up to 3mbps, and he said that was only an "available/up to" speed and that I was likely capped to try and reduce the drops. I thought that was bullshit, I understand how speeds are advertised as "up to/maximum" and all that, but I was capped at half the speed I was paying for. If I'd have known I was capped at 1.5, I could've been paying for 1.5 the whole time. That whole deal felt shady and pissed me off and it'll take an act of doG to get me to sign another AT&T Internet contract.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

8. The Following User Likes jfrey123's Post:

CashMoney (April 15th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    James
    Is there anything that is remotely hi-speed for satellite areas? We've tried all sorts of satellite internet providers and we couldn't even use the Internet , all we did was try and the page wouldn't load and it would just try and lock up then they would say we went over band width and now we have been using ATT cell phones as hotspots and it sucks so slow .
    No charter out here in FishSprings Gardnerville almost in PineNuts
    DirecTV sucked, Dish Sucks.
    Is there anything for Satelite and propane areas as far as internet goes where we aren't limited in bandwidth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The smell reminds me of the Sea,
    she makes me want to Partay Brew!!!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    James
    Damn dish!!! Always cutting off the shows. So many commercials and even more medical ads and they cut off every damn program.
    Always missing out on the next episode and you're shaking your head cause you don't even know what's happening inverters last episode and new one.
    Also, dish is losing channels and charging more.

The smell reminds me of the Sea,
    she makes me want to Partay Brew!!!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Charter had been up for 6 years solid at my house until this summer when I lost it twice, two years without an outage at my old house. I didn't notice a loss last night. I'm consistently getting 60+ mbps on my home network, which is important because my wife works from home and has a massive amount of data going through.

Uverse still isn't as fast, and it's still an AT&T Internet product. Years ago when DSL was the hot thing, and their 3mbps service was blazing fast and new, I had it in an apartment. I dealt with nearly weekly phone calls in because the Internet was out, fully acknowledging the wiring in the complex was the main reason. But one week I was transferred to a tier 3 service guy who started running a lot of tests and seemed to really want to help. As he was muttering the settings to himself, he told me I was capped at 1.5mbps. I told him I should be getting up to 3mbps, and he said that was only an "available/up to" speed and that I was likely capped to try and reduce the drops. I thought that was bullshit, I understand how speeds are advertised as "up to/maximum" and all that, but I was capped at half the speed I was paying for. If I'd have known I was capped at 1.5, I could've been paying for 1.5 the whole time. That whole deal felt shady and pissed me off and it'll take an act of doG to get me to sign another AT&T Internet contract.
    This^! We had At&t for awhile and while I like their TV service much better than charter, their internet sucks. I found myself turning my WiFi off and using my Verizon network most of the time.

FYI: anyone who wants out of their contract can tell them they are moving to Edgewater at Virginia Lake. They didn't wire to the buildings so they cant "move" your service

12. The Following 3 Users Like Mr_Scott's Post:

CashMoney (April 15th, 2016), jfrey123 (April 13th, 2016), MARKUNIT10 (April 13th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Don't know about Charter TV but I have their phone and internet service. Phone works fine and it is less that half of what I was paying for comparable service from AT&T. I used Comcast for internet before I moved to Reno and the Charter service is faster and about half the cost.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Just put an antenna up, you get about 20 free hd channels.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    brad
    Bumping this old thread to see if anyone in Reno/Sparks has any more recent input on how AT&T internet is vs. Charter Spectrum. Wondering how it is for streaming Netflix, Amazon, etc. and general internet use. Was at At&T today and they told me 50Mbps and they had a fiber optic network so it is fast. Hate to get locked into a contract and find out streaming or surfing is painful.

16. The Following User Likes j03_tj's Post:

211john (April 10th, 2018)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by j03_tj View Post
    Bumping this old thread to see if anyone in Reno/Sparks has any more recent input on how AT&T internet is vs. Charter Spectrum. Wondering how it is for streaming Netflix, Amazon, etc. and general internet use. Was at At&T today and they told me 50Mbps and they had a fiber optic network so it is fast. Hate to get locked into a contract and find out streaming or surfing is painful.
    I can't tell you about any of their new services, but in general AT&T SUCKS. I heard bad things about Charter. When I moved here 5 years ago I was all set to go with AT&T. They couldn't even show up to hook up a phone line. After two days of struggling I cancelled AT&T and called Charter. They were here the next day and set me up with two phone lines and internet for about 3/4 the price I was Paying AT&T just for phones. I think their service is pretty darn good, and very cost competitive. Everyone has outages once in a while, but theirs are no more frequent that any on the other service providers, especially NV Energy.

My 2 cents.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    I love Charter/Spectrum for Internet. Constantly getting 60+ mbps down, 5+ up. All we do is streaming with 2-4 devices at a time, plus wife works remote IT from home. We havenít had a drop in well over a year and a half at this point.

And there are no contracts. Pay once for install. $64.99 per month once your sign up promotion expires, but cancel literally any time you want.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Yeah.... our Charter was out about 4 hours twice in the last week. They still suck.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Choosing a cable/internet provider is like choosing a bank, or an insurance company, or a mobile phone provider.

They ALL suck. You just have to find which one sucks the least.

Charter has its flaws (I used to work there) but it does have the best internet service in our area. Tip - if your bill goes up, stop by their physical location, and just tell them you aren't happy and want to know what they can do. Chances are they'll find another deal to set you up on. This works much better than calling in. You can also trade in your old box/modem/remote for a nice fresh one.

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    We have AT&T. Service has been pretty good, but they are very expensive. Seems to go up $10 every year too. I think we are paying $220 for internet and t.v. I have to restart the modem about once a month or stuff stops working right.
    Not all Americans are born in America, we have to wait for some to make it home.

Wheeler
    I'm kinda surprised there's not any WISP's in the area. With the way a lot of cities are setup in NNV in valleys with tall mountains around with towers it seems like a perfect way to get high speed internet to people at a good price, especially when Charter or AT&T aren't available in the more rural areas.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    brad
    Thanks for the replies. I went into the Charter/Spectrum office yesterday to see if they could lower my bill, no dice. They just suggested I call their 1-800 # and that their call center might be able to do something, havenít done that yet. Iím not super dissatisfied with Spectrum, although streaming TV usually doesnít work very well around 8pm, and my internet doesnít work maybe 5 minutes at a time here and there, probably notice that a couple of times a week. But my bill is like $240 (course my fault for having so many cable channels, but I like that). I was at Walmart and they were there offering same package I have for around $150, with price increase after 1 year. Att was around $160, but I know their prices will go up as well after getting locked into a contract. Just donít want to end up with a 2 year contract only to find out the internet sucks and I canít stream tv. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.

24. The Following User Likes j03_tj's Post:

BobF (April 23rd, 2018)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Do you use wifi for your streaming? if so, thats likely the cause of your issues. Use a wifi scanner and change your router to a less crowded channel. If you have a cheap router, especially one over 5 yrs old, consider upgrading. If you are using a range extender, that could be the cause of your issues as well.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Dish... 200 + stations of HD .... Nevermind 31 of them are home shopping shit.. not placed on their own where you could easily avoid them while looking for some non crap to watch. All of the channels are mixed into the stuff you want to see for your viewing pleasure .

Wheeler
    Real Name
    brad
    Quote Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
    Do you use wifi for your streaming? if so, thats likely the cause of your issues. Use a wifi scanner and change your router to a less crowded channel. If you have a cheap router, especially one over 5 yrs old, consider upgrading. If you are using a range extender, that could be the cause of your issues as well.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I did those things a couple of months back and was impressed with the results. I bought a new router and that didn't really help, then I bought an extender that gets a great signal to the tv area so it was instantly better and almost solid except certain times. I might notice it more, but due to my tv watching being what it is I notice 8PM the thing struggles most nights. I did like using the wifi analyzer, just kind of fun to watch and carry around the house to see how the channels and signals are behaving. You might be on to something I need to take a look at the channels again.

As for Spectrum's cable tv I would say meh, signals are more glitchy than I remember old analog stuff being, not sure I remember the last movie I watched on cable that didn't have some form of glitching/static that made the screen look like I was watching Predator.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    brad
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    Dish... 200 + stations of HD .... Nevermind 31 of them are home shopping shit.. not placed on their own where you could easily avoid them while looking for some non crap to watch. All of the channels are mixed into the stuff you want to see for your viewing pleasure .
    Are you able to create a favorites list or something along those lines to make surfing easier? I do like that about the cable, I think I might go nuts having to remember the 98 channels I like to only surf through, lol.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by j03_tj View Post
    Are you able to create a favorites list or something along those lines to make surfing easier? I do like that about the cable, I think I might go nuts having to remember the 98 channels I like to only surf through, lol.
    Dish has favorites..
    ďThe trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.Ē -Carlos Castaneda

Wheeler
    Real Name
    brad
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    Dish has favorites..
    Thanks.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    You can also request a charter guy come out and check your signal. Sometimes your cable has degraded or gotten a kink in it, which can really effect the signal.

When a certain time of day causes issues, It can often be interference from neighbors.

I had a range extender for a while - it was terrible. If you really need something like that look at the mesh systems like Ubiquiti.