Thread: Short-Range Tactical Rifle Match [Reno NV]

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |

Short-Range Tactical Rifle Match [Reno NV]

Our first Short-Range Tactical Rifle Match of the season takes place on 8am Saturday 4/30 in Reno, Nevada. This event is designed for novice to intermediate skill levels, and features targets set at three distances and engaged from several improvised shooting positions. The course of fire will be challenging enough to promote growth, and enable graduation into similar match disciplines. This timed event is open to all guns, but is designed for semi-automatic rifles with detachable box magazine such as AR and AK pattern variants.
    Event and contact details are here: http://palominogunclub.org/1890/shor...h-description/

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    THIS SATURDAY 4/30: Improve your skills at our first short-range tactical rifle match of the season. Perfect for AR-15 and other semi-auto rifles!

http://palominogunclub.org/1890/short-range-tactical-rifle-match-description/

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Our first-ever Short-Range Tactical (SRT) easily pleased shooters, and everybody expressed how much fun the event was. Despite the rainy weather and a persistent cold wind, the conditions weren’t even a consideration for competitors once the action started.
    Results are now posted! http://palominogunclub.org/161/short...match-results/

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    UPDATE: Our next Short-Range Tactical rifle event is on Saturday 6/18.
    Practice shooting begins at 7:45 am, with the match starting promptly at 9 am.
    It is highly suggested that you arrive with a rifle ready for action, and proper zero previously set.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    SHOOTERS: Our next Short-Range Tactical rifle event is on Saturday 6/18. Registration and practice shooting begins at 7:45 am, with the match starting promptly at 9 am.
    Designed for semi-automatic rifles with detachable box magazine such as AR and AK pattern variants, the course features targets set 100/200/300 yards out and engaged from several supported shooting positions.
    Event details here: Reno Short Range Tactical Rifle Match

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Only one week away from the next Short-Range Tactical rifle match! Perfect for new competitors: shoot in iron sights/red dot or magnified scope class. Targets set 100/200/300 yards out, and fired at from a supported position.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Strong wind, and plenty of it. That was the order of the day, and easily the most challenging part of our second Short-Range Tactical (SRT) match. In spite of high turbulence and heavy gusts, everybody seemed to have a great time...

06/18/2016 Short Range Tactical Match Results

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alec
    Next shoot?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Quote Originally Posted by 300pdw View Post
    Next shoot?
    Our next Short-Range Tactical rifle match of the season takes place on Saturday 7/16.
    http://palominogunclub.org/33/pvgc-event-schedule/

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alec
    Cool. See ya there.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Our next Short-Range Tactical rifle event is this Saturday 7/16. Practice shooting begins at 7:45 am, with the match starting promptly at 9 am and typically ending around noon. Designed for semi-automatic rifles with a detachable box magazine, the course features targets set 100/200/300 yards out and engaged from several supported shooting positions. Details here: http://palominogunclub.org/1890/shor...al-rifle-match

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    I'm in....but I'll be rolling in heavy this time, no more little light weight short length carbine for me....that didnt work out so well last time.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
    I'm in....but I'll be rolling in heavy this time, no more little light weight short length carbine for me....that didnt work out so well last time.
    I think your SCAR 16 would do just fine if it had a good optic on it - even a 3-9x would work well.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    I'm considering coming and would appreciate knowing what is an "ideal" rifle for this. Are higher power scopes a handicap? I thinking it might be harder to transition between targets if you are zoomed in to 24x.

I was thinking my .223 AR with a 1-4x might work rather well, but I do have a 6.5 Creedmoor AR with a 6-24x that is more accurate and flatter shooting.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    Quote Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
    I'm considering coming and would appreciate knowing what is an "ideal" rifle for this. Are higher power scopes a handicap? I thinking it might be harder to transition between targets if you are zoomed in to 24x.

I was thinking my .223 AR with a 1-4x might work rather well, but I do have a 6.5 Creedmoor AR with a 6-24x that is more accurate and flatter shooting.
    This timed event is open to all guns, but is designed for semi-automatic rifles with detachable box magazine. The most popular platform is AR-15, and most popular magnification used on the course is 6x-12x.
    Event details are here: http://palominogunclub.org/1890/shor...h-description/

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post
    I think your SCAR 16 would do just fine if it had a good optic on it - even a 3-9x would work well.
    Oh I agree whole heartedly! It would kick ass if it had an optic. I mean, I may not kick ass but the gun would.

That being said, I have no intention of adding an optic to that rifle. It's KISS at its finest, high speed low drag no frills no bulk.

I'm excited to try a different platform at this next match, and had an absolute blast last time but "short range tactical" seemed a bit misleading to me for the name lol. I envision man sized targets in a range of positions and distances, even out to 300, as a somewhat realistic target scenario. So, maybe full or 3/4 size IPSC targets. I can tell you that I can ring a IPSC target at 300 with my scar from a standing position with some regularity. Not 100% hits, but high percentage. 300 is absolutely "short range" when it comes to full size rifles, specifically anything 30 cal. It's pretty easy to shoot "minute of man" at 300.

Timed head shots at 100 200 300 yards, however, requires a whole different animal in my opinion. The guys with bolt guns whooped my ass even though they couldnt make all the timed shots. I was using what I think could be considered a fairly ideal rifle for "short range tactical"

Instead, I'll be rolling out with a 14 pound 44 inch long 30 caliber battle rifle equipped with a 4-14x scope, lol. Not exactly what i'd want in a short range tactical situation.

Anyway, all i'm saying is the name just made me think it was a bit different than what it was is all.

Maybe i'd do better if i could see worth a damn with my left eye, but even with my glasses I couldnt make out the 300 yard targets while starring down my irons.

again not complaining in any way, i just came improperly prepared, even though i read the description!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post

My advice:

Any low to mid power optic would be fine. 4 power would probably rock for speed, but you wont be over magnified at 6.

something with a drop reticle would be ideal, or mil dor/MOA marks, and just know your dope

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |
    I do appreciate your feedback, and thank you for sharing this. Although I would love to offer larger IPSC targets, this is the SRT's first season and the club would only put up about $300 for materials. I'm working closely with MOA Targets, who has been an outstanding local sponsor and supplier, to get affordable alternatives in line for next season. For now though, try to think of this Short Range Tactical as modern training for a world where body armor is readily available and utilized by the citizenry.

19. The Following User Likes Das Capitolin's Post:

Dr. Marneaus (July 15th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    No i hear you for sure, it would be a heck of a bill to foot for 9 targets that cost well over $100 each! I have one of his full size silhouettes and it's great.

but all I was saying is that in my mind the name of the match doesn't quite go with the course of Fire.

And as mentioned above its a fun and challenging match. I sure hope to do better than my miserable score of 6 last time haha

Wheeler
    Real Name
    |

SRT Match Results: 16 July 2016

Thank you again for all the assistance with setup and cleanup. Our next Short-Range Tactical rifle event is on Saturday 8/20. Please arrive by 7:30 am for course setup, followed by early practice shooting. The match begins at approximately 9 am. It is highly suggested that you arrive with a rifle ready for action, and proper zero previously set.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post

SRT Match Results: 16 July 2016

Thank you again for all the assistance with setup and cleanup. Our next Short-Range Tactical rifle event is on Saturday 8/20. Please arrive by 7:30 am for course setup, followed by early practice shooting. The match begins at approximately 9 am. It is highly suggested that you arrive with a rifle ready for action, and proper zero previously set.

had a great time met some great people!

sognificantly improved my score by switching to a different platform but realized seeing as i hadn't shot that platform in about 2 years i need to get it dialed back in!

anyway, it was a beautiful morning and a fun time!