Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike Henderson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deer Valley Closed

Ran Deer Valley yesterday. I know it's closed now because as we were starting the trail a Ranger came in and put up a closed sign. He said someone was doing some off roading in a meadow. When we got to the northern terminus, there was a group of dudes in a jeep with a sniper rifle set up on a shooting mat in a turnout aiming directly back up the road. Two reasons why we can't have nice things I guess.

Anyway, the trail is in great (terrible) shape! We had a JKU sport on 35s with a front TrueTrack, a JKU Rubicon on 33s and my 4Runner on 32s with rear e-locker. All made it just fine with a bit of rock stacking. I have a ton of video, but here are some photos for now.

-M
    Mike Henderson
    Videographer

2. The Following 2 Users Like Wolfy's Post:

CashMoney (August 1st, 2016), Dennis (August 1st, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Greg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ranger put the sign at the Hermit Valley end or the Blue Lakes end?
    Its just a road with a few rocks, keep driving!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike Henderson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hermit Valley, but there was one on Blue Lakes when we got there.

To be clear, he told us to go ahead on through. So we weren't poaching it, technically...

-M
    Last edited by Wolfy; August 1st, 2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: sp
    Mike Henderson
    Videographer

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    Hermit Valley, but there was one on Blue Lakes when we got there.

To be clear, he told us to go ahead on through. So we weren't poaching it, technically...

-M

where on the hermit valley end was the sign placed? water crossing or ?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike Henderson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Hermit Valley end it was RIGHT at the trailhead. We pulled up to "the gatekeeper" and stopped to shuffle through and there was a sign post just before it.

As the Blue Lakes end it was after the water crossing I believe. Hard to remember. Brain was fried at that point. There was a sandwich board in the trail there.

We knew there were closure issues, but apparently some website incorrectly had it labeled open and so up we went. Some other jeeps were just finishing as we started TOWING TRAILERS!

Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    where on the hermit valley end was the sign placed? water crossing or ?
    Mike Henderson
    Videographer

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although 'officially' closed it seems that is not enforced and a ranger saying OK go ahead seems at odds with the rule, but who knows. we were led to believe the closure order was effective at the actual crossing of deer creek, not down on Hwy 4. IIRC the trail south of deer creek is in a different national forest jurisdiction not subject to the closure order.

there appears to be a steady ongoing stream of 4x4 traffic thru the trail regardless. and it is a fun trail offering mild obstacles. its the scenery that is the winner.

(next time in area, take the bonus trail between upper blue lakes over the elephants back and Red Lake on SR 88)

we heard many start at hermit valley, go up to deer creek (lunch/swim) and return back down to Hwy 4.

maybe Doug B can offer some insight here...

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original closure point was at the second water crossing, entering from Blue Lakes. But too many people were poaching the crossing so the closure was moved closer to Blue Lakes by about a half mile. It was moved similarly on the Hermit Valley side.

Signage has been bad. I hear there are no signs at the Highway 4 entrance or even on the trail from that direction. But the trail is not a through route at this time.

Although enforcement has been intermittent, I'm asking that was respect the closure, signs or no signs. The last thing we need is some anti-OHV person taking pictures from the trees of an OHV breaking the rules and going across the second crossing and using that to keep the trail closed.

I have been in touch with Fish & Wildlife. The 'draft' Biological Opinion has been written but need to be reviewed. That was a month ago. I tried to followed up last week but have not heard back from F&W.

Doug
    Last edited by Simple Man; August 1st, 2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Doug Barr - www.TheOtherRubicon.com
    Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's & No. Tahoe Trail Dusters

10. The Following 5 Users Like Simple Man's Post:

CashMoney (August 1st, 2016), Dirty Harry (August 1st, 2016), Jeep Chick (August 5th, 2016), jfrey123 (August 2nd, 2016), RARECJ8 (August 1st, 2016)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike Henderson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with that and would have been happy to bag it and splash around in a lake instead had we understood the situation better.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    The original closure point was at the second water crossing, entering from Blue Lakes. But too many people were poaching the crossing so the closure was moved closer to Blue Lakes by about a half mile. It was moved similarly on the Hermit Valley side.

Signage has been bad. I hear there are no signs at the Highway 4 entrance or even on the trail from that direction. But the trail is not a through route at this time.

Although enforcement has been intermittent, I'm asking that was respect the closure, signs or no signs. The last thing we need is some anti-OHV person taking pictures from the trees of an OHV breaking the rules and going across the second crossing and using that to keep the trail closed.

I have been in touch with Fish & Wildlife. The 'draft' Biological Opinion has been written but need to be reviewed. That was a month ago. I tried to followed up last week but have not heard back from F&W.

Doug
    Mike Henderson
    Videographer

12. The Following User Likes Wolfy's Post:

Dirty Harry (August 1st, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all this for some frogs.

looks like as per the USDA site, the trail is 'closed' .25 north of the deer creek crossing. Closed signs to be posted but as i read the rule, it should be fair game between Hwy 4 and deer creek.(which is the division line between national forests).

The portion of Deer Valley 4wd Trail closed under the ENF Travel Management SEIS was incorrectly described in Proposed Action (Alternative 1). The correct portion of trail is between Clover Valley and approximately 0.25 miles north of the Eldorado and Stanislaus National Forest boundary.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this back open? From the USFS page it looks like it is. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldor...fsbdev7_019037
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is open, and Cal4Wheel is looking for people to help with maintenance every weekend this month.

https://cal4wheel.com/latest-news/80...r-in-september

This is a great opportunity to fill up the karma bank and spend the weekend on of the most beautiful trails around.

17. The Following 3 Users Like Dirty Harry's Post:

McNasty (1 Week Ago), RARECJ8 (1 Week Ago), RelentlessTaco (1 Week Ago)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks ago hilos poker run. Good time. Between deer creek and hermit valley pretty rough but fun. Wish we had time to help with the trail maint. Mlrc are good crew.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  779.8 KB

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

19. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

RelentlessTaco (1 Week Ago)