User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Thread: WC-1 Yea or Nea

  1. #26
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2008
    Location
    Cold Springs
    Posts
    1,506
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedirtman View Post
    Funny how everything has to be fair and equal until it comes down to paying the check.
    x2

  2. #27
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Plus, if the new tax is to build new schools needed immediately, why is said tax permanent?
    What happens when a school gets flooded and needs to have the floors and gym replaced? Do you think building a school means there is no upkeep? Paying for the teachers would come from the general fund.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    Two reasons for No. First, the Washoe County School Board has shown repeated ineptitude. The unbelievable hire of the latest Superintendent, Traci Davis, was the nail in the coffin. Until the entire Board is replaced and they earn a track record of prudent management I resist giving them a dime.

    Second, sales taxes of any type are very regressive - they take a much larger portion of lower income folks' earnings.
    Excellent point. Let's not put money towards building schools because the general fund has been ruined by the current leaders. Lets keep putting our kids into classrooms of 38 kids and two teachers because we don't trust the school board to spend the money, the way I support it, written into law that can only be use towards physical structures and not actually funding teachers.

    As for the poor people being hit hardest I'd say not. Do poor people buy new cars or go to movies or buy expensive things? 8% of $45,000 is a lot more than 8% of 25,000. Buy a new car off the lot and tell me how you're poor. How can you even say a sales tax takes a larger portion of a poor person's income? I'm paying the same sales tax as someone making double my salary. It's the perfect example of a flat tax. 8.25% of your purchase goes towards tax. Poor people don't pay more than what rich people pay. More importantly if they're so poor and cannot buy a home they're not paying for schools. The owner of the apartment complex or house they rent is. 3% is a LOT of cash when it's tied to the value of your home. I don't have any children in schools and I'm paying for a seat in the school. I feel like I should be exempt from that portion of my taxes because I'm not putting any burden on the schools.

    NOW, if you're going to tell me someone who makes $25,000 has to spend $15,000 on supplies and $15,000 is a larger portion of $25,000 than $50,000 I'll agree. What I'm saying is someone making $50,000 is buying more expensive things. Someone making $100,000 is probably buying even MORE expensive things so bot the $50,000 and the $100,000 earning individuals are most likely paying more than $15,000 in sales tax. ALL THREE ARE PAYING THE SAME SALES TAX THOUGH.




    As for how the law is written I believe this question has to pass before they start writing the bill then the bill has to pass. The question is just to determine if the residents of Washoe County would be willing to give the WCSD a blank check for the rest of time. I would ask about this to the people who are PRO WC-1. Is the bill written? Do you know when the bill WILL be written? Is there anything that guarantees the money goes ONLY to schools and NOT to teachers in any way, shape or form? I'd be shocked if they DIDN'T ask you why you wouldn't want it going to teachers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  3. #28
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    348
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tahoe1028;821134]I don't see how a poor person is affected until they buy an iPhone, or a car,or fast food. /QUOTE]

    Or cloths and shoes for their kids, or parts they need to keep their car running, or stuff they buy at Home Depot to fix their house, etc., etc, etc.

  4. #29
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    23 Feb 2013
    Location
    Whites Creek
    Age
    49
    Posts
    260
    Real Name
    Tom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they should not be having kids, just a thought. If you can't afford a small sales tax on a car part maybe they should ride a bike or walk or use the bus service(another thing we all pay for so a few don't have to walk or take the responsibility of transportation for themselves) . Can't afford to fix your house? Maybe you have too big a house or should be renting.How are we defining "poor" anyway, is that someone that only has a 50" flat screen tv?

  5. #30
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2013
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    602
    Real Name
    Bob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .54 percent increase in sales tax expected to impact most for under .25 cents per day x 365 days = $91.25 averaged.

    id like to see how they would/will guarantee it going to school building/repair.

  6. #31
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    348
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmjr58 View Post
    .54 percent increase in sales tax expected to impact most for under .25 cents per day x 365 days = $91.25 averaged.

    id like to see how they would/will guarantee it going to school building/repair.
    Doesn't matter - if it goes under the control of the Washoe County School Board I'm against it They have a track record of being completely irresponsible.
    Last edited by DJRENO; August 27th, 2016 at 08:46 AM.

  7. #32
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2008
    Location
    Cold Springs
    Posts
    1,506
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    Doesn't matter - if it goes under the control of the Washoe County School Board in against it THey have a track record of being completely irresponsible.
    Which is what I'm afraid of. I want to support it however the school board history, the potential for not knowing where it's going before it's even written has me at NO at this point.

  8. #33
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    05 Sep 2011
    Location
    Sparks
    Age
    45
    Posts
    30
    Real Name
    Skip
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote no. The problem isn't needing more money, it's a we need a wise spending policy that does not benefit an over abundance of office goons, radical teachers, and the far left teachers unions.
    KC7LTU

  9. The Following User Likes desertlakesflying's Post:

    DJRENO (August 28th, 2016)

  10. #34
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    348
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post

    NOW, if you're going to tell me someone who makes $25,000 has to spend $15,000 on supplies and $15,000 is a larger portion of $25,000 than $50,000 I'll agree. What I'm saying is someone making $50,000 is buying more expensive things. Someone making $100,000 is probably buying even MORE expensive things so bot the $50,000 and the $100,000 earning individuals are most likely paying more than $15,000 in sales tax. ALL THREE ARE PAYING THE SAME SALES TAX THOUGH.
    Naw, BS, that is a simpleton argument. Anyone prudent making more money doesn't increase the spend ratio proportionately. That has been studied to death and shown to be a false assumption. Folks making more money simply do not, on a proportional basis spend more on taxable consumables. THey invest it, or save it or donate it. All the empirical evidence shows conclusively that sales taxes are regressive. That is my only point.

  11. #35
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    Naw, BS, that is a simpleton argument. Anyone prudent making more money doesn't increase the spend ratio proportionately. That has been studied to death and shown to be a false assumption. Folks making more money simply do not, on a proportional basis spend more on taxable consumables. THey invest it, or save it or donate it. All the empirical evidence shows conclusively that sales taxes are regressive. That is my only point.
    You are correct. the poor pay all the taxes. The "rich" never pay their "equal share" so it is always the poor paying the way of the rich. NO SENSE making more more money when making more money makes you rich and rich people don't spend money. Also only the rich are able to save money by setting a budget and only the poor people who don't set a budget or spending allowance are impacted by a sales tax increase. If only there was a way to reach out to the poor people and educate them on the value of a savings account...if only there was a way...
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  12. #36
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertlakesflying View Post
    I vote no. The problem isn't needing more money, it's a we need a wise spending policy that does not benefit an over abundance of office goons, radical teachers, and the far left teachers unions.
    If the teachers and their union wasn't able to touch the money would you be for it? If the money was ONLY able to be used to improve that school your child goes to or will go to would you in favor of increasing sales tax to pay for more school buildings?

    this is literally the reason I say I'm for the increase of taxes only if it goes directly to building more schools and NOT to the general fund.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  13. #37
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    348
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    You are correct. the poor pay all the taxes. The "rich" never pay their "equal share" so it is always the poor paying the way of the rich. NO SENSE making more more money when making more money makes you rich and rich people don't spend money. Also only the rich are able to save money by setting a budget and only the poor people who don't set a budget or spending allowance are impacted by a sales tax increase. If only there was a way to reach out to the poor people and educate them on the value of a savings account...if only there was a way...
    Time to put down the bong, you're spouting gibberish

  14. #38
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2010
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    3,167
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Endless sales tax for a bill that has not been written?

    What can go wrong with that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #39
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    Time to put down the bong, you're spouting gibberish
    Coming from the guy who says sales tax is a poor tax this makes me laugh. Sorry for attempting to explain how the poor tax is a larger portion of the poor's income level when you don't include everything people with more money than poor people have spend it on. I'll remember this for future math discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  16. #40
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLittle View Post
    Endless sales tax for a bill that has not been written?

    What can go wrong with that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It may not pass. I think this is the biggest thing they're facing regardless of the current view of WCSD. Endless amounts of money after they've said they need more schools and they haven't set aside money to improve the schools may hit more people in the wallet than the "Yes on WC-1" group can raise.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  17. #41
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    14 Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    348
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    Coming from the guy who says sales tax is a poor tax this makes me laugh. Sorry for attempting to explain how the poor tax is a larger portion of the poor's income level when you don't include everything people with more money than poor people have spend it on. I'll remember this for future math discussions.
    I know its hard to explain these concepts to someone who has never studied economics, so I'm going to give up. Continuing would be like trying to teach a dog to play the piano.

    Try this: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/regressivetax.asp

    I know there are a lot of words there, but slog through it - you might find it enlightening. Or it might put you to sleep.

  18. #42
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    I know its hard to explain these concepts to someone who has never studied economics, so I'm going to give up. Continuing would be like trying to teach a dog to play the piano.

    Try this: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/regressivetax.asp

    I know there are a lot of words there, but slog through it - you might find it enlightening. Or it might put you to sleep.
    Explain to me how sales tax is a regressive tax when you look at more than just one purchase. When someone who makes $100,000 pays $25,000 in sales tax and someone making $40,000 pays $10,000 in sales tax how is it unfair? The person making more money can buy more expensive items which increases the amount of sales tax they pay. I'm not expecting an economics expert to look at the larger scale of mathematics or anything since it involves big numbers and multiple variables but if you look at the annual amount of sales tax individuals pay and compare it to their income level it may be surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  19. #43
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    26 Apr 2012
    Location
    Cold Springs
    Posts
    572
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's saying if a evil rich person buys a 10k item and a saintly poor person buys a 10k item, the tax on that 10k item hurts the saintly poor person more then the evil rich guy, hence regressive tax structure. I think that ignores a lot of realities such as most poor people don't buy new things, or at least expensive new things whereas rich people often buy exclusively new things. This is obviously generally speaking exceptions to every rule. There is no perfect tax structure, they all have downsides. I favor a flat tax or sales tax vs a progressive tax any day of the week. Progressive tax structures are by far the more evil in my opinion. Gives government far to much power and locks people into the bs 'us against them' or 'eat the rich' arguments. Tax structure should be about funding essential government duties not ensuring some ones definition of fairness or social justice bs. Everyone should pay something, everyone should have skin in the game, that way everyone cares when these idiots raise taxes and waste tax dollars.

  20. The Following User Likes Desertninja775's Post:

    tahoe1028 (August 30th, 2016)

  21. #44
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertninja775 View Post
    He's saying if a evil rich person buys a 10k item and a saintly poor person buys a 10k item, the tax on that 10k item hurts the saintly poor person more then the evil rich guy, hence regressive tax structure. I think that ignores a lot of realities such as most poor people don't buy new things, or at least expensive new things whereas rich people often buy exclusively new things. This is obviously generally speaking exceptions to every rule. There is no perfect tax structure, they all have downsides. I favor a flat tax or sales tax vs a progressive tax any day of the week. Progressive tax structures are by far the more evil in my opinion. Gives government far to much power and locks people into the bs 'us against them' or 'eat the rich' arguments. Tax structure should be about funding essential government duties not ensuring some ones definition of fairness or social justice bs. Everyone should pay something, everyone should have skin in the game, that way everyone cares when these idiots raise taxes and waste tax dollars.
    I know what he is saying. What he is ignoring is the rest of the money the rich person will spend and buy stuff they have to pay sales tax on OR how the rich person will buy a car for $50,000 and have to pay sales tax on it while the poor person won't so we need to look at the whole amount of sales tax paid before calling it a poor tax.

    Either way the only way I'd support THIS tax increase is if it goes straight to school bonding and the law says so not the bleeding harts looking to get schools more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  22. The Following User Likes DirtyChemist's Post:

    Desertninja775 (August 31st, 2016)

  23. #45
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    26 Apr 2012
    Location
    Cold Springs
    Posts
    572
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any one listen to Travis and Dave with the washoe sos? Anyone have their minds changed by it? No flaming or ridicule, just curious. I still remain distrustful but thought they made good arguements.

  24. #46
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    30 Jan 2009
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    2,925
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't but I'm still on board if they put the money towards bonds. Otherwise we aren't getting schools fixed. If the law says it has to go towards bonds they can't waste it on teacher pay and teacher unions can't go after it. If it goes into the general fund we are all screwed.
    Last edited by DirtyChemist; September 10th, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

  25. #47
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    26 Apr 2012
    Location
    Cold Springs
    Posts
    572
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the sos people on the show it can't be for anything other then the Capital fund which is only allowed to be used for building/maintenance etc. Skeptical but leaning yea at this point after listening to them. But when I go to the website I don't like the assurance they give of a volunteer advisory board will ensure spending. That seems shady. But the language in the ballot question does say capital fund and not general. Although at this point whose to say the politicians don't just change that language. I'm kinda hating how little trust/faith I have at this point, did the think I was supposed to feel thus way until I was like 90. Ha

    http://soswashoe.com/get-the-facts/

  26. #48
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2010
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    3,167
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much will this tax raise in total?
    How long will it last?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #49
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    21 Aug 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    3,775
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLittle View Post
    How much will this tax raise in total?
    How long will it last?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've seen different revenue estimates. Also heard from someone who deals with county finances that even this special account can be spent wherever they want after two years.

    And forever. There's no sunset written into this bill.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

  28. #50
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    03 Nov 2010
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    3,167
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone wondering why a non-capped forever tax is not getting the support of the bill payers?

    -guy with teacher wife and elementary school aged kids.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •