Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WC-1 Yea or Nea

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WC-1 Yea or Nea

I personally will never ever vote for a tax increase no matter what it is for. Although I do realize we need new schools and current ones remodeled I think there are better ways to go about it besides a PERMANENT sales tax increase.

The other issue I have with this is that I just don't trust the school district. They are promising 15 new schools and remodeling old ones with the money from this initiative but just like every other government project I predict cost overruns and wasteful spending. In 5 years they'll be coming back to the taxpayers with their hand out saying "it wasn't enough we need more".

2. The Following 5 Users Like cmarjeep's Post:

CashMoney (August 24th, 2016), ChickenLittle (August 24th, 2016), Dennis (August 24th, 2016), Mr_Scott (August 24th, 2016), Toyota_James (August 24th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like 70% of voters here don't have kids in school.

NV does not really like tax hikes.

Snowball's chance in hell of passing.

And yes, we do need more schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They got a tax increase 10 years ago, and considering they (proponents) themselves claim the schools have been neglected for 40 years, I really struggle to accept why we need to throw them more money when they haven't been doing their job to begin with.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im voting nea, the wife is a teacher and we have our disagreements on that. The money never goes where they say it will. They use children to pull at the heart. Last time they pulled this the money when to general fund.
    Last edited by Desertninja775; August 24th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nea until the law is written. When the law is written it better not say it's deposited to the general fund. It better be black and white the money is going towards bonds and nothing else. As far as I know the bill hasn't been written so EVERYTHING EVERYONE is saying is a lie. Without having the bill even drafted no one can say where the money will go. As Desertninja775 said teachers have one opinion but the last time the school had money they teachers union went after it for raises, health insurance payments and their PERS. Sorry I'm not blindly supporting your bill "for the children" until you've shown me it is impossible for teachers to rob it.

Heck I don't even care it's a blank check and the school doesn't want to end it when the 10 years they project, or the millions of dollars they currently need, are met...as long as it goes ONLY to building schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

7. The Following 4 Users Like DirtyChemist's Post:

CashMoney (August 24th, 2016), Toyota_James (August 24th, 2016), turbobrick (August 31st, 2016), WILLD420 (August 24th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't tax from the legalization of recreational marijuana cover this? An excise tax of 15% would be imposed on wholesale sales of marijuana. The existing sales tax would apply to retail sales of marijuana. Net revenue generated under this proposal would be deposited in the Distributive School Account and used for support of K- 12 education

9. The Following 2 Users Like Battlecock's Post:

CashMoney (August 24th, 2016), ChickenLittle (August 24th, 2016)

The Mechanical Menace
    Real Name
    Dallas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlecock View Post
    Wouldn't tax from the legalization of recreational marijuana cover this? An excise tax of 15% would be imposed on wholesale sales of marijuana. The existing sales tax would apply to retail sales of marijuana. Net revenue generated under this proposal would be deposited in the Distributive School Account and used for support of K- 12 education
    Seems to be working for Colorado. So many people are using marijuana already that the State would see an immediate return while cutting out the majority of the black market. It just makes sense to me.

Internet Tough Guy

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of a sales tax paying for schools as it is one of the fairest taxes out there and even Illegals that get paid in cash will pay the sales tax. However I do question the spending like others do and don't trust the schools to actually spend it where they are saying or for them to be fiscally responsible with the money. Funny how they need so much money for new schools and maintenance but have the money to put solar panels on everything and money for hybrid cars that in the end don't save them a dime in their power bills or fuel bills. I would also like to see a per student fee for schools as well to help cover some of the cost and an end to government pensions.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the left would stop fighting the voucher stuff that could go a long way to solving the overcrowding. Probably not 100% but would most definitely help. Also the weed tax would probably help at the start but if it did start to work you can bet your ass the state would start raiding that for other pet projects. Look at the lottery in other states, where thats raided for other things constantly and was pitched as "for the children". Or even the fuel tax, supposed to be for roads but is constantly be used for other things. Its a joke. I trust none of em.

13. The Following User Likes Desertninja775's Post:

Toyota_James (August 24th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Glen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't live in Washoe, but if I did, I'd vote "NO". It's a pattern I'm well familiar with from the People's Republik just to the west of us... cry, "The skoolkids ain't got no books, got no buildings, got no budget!" and after the crying voters approve the new tax, you mysteriously see the same amounts siphoned off to the General Fund and the schools get no additional budget. It's long past time to draw the line and demand that government live within its means, just like we have to.

15. The Following 3 Users Like grumpyoldretiredcop's Post:

CashMoney (August 25th, 2016), Desertninja775 (August 25th, 2016), Toyota_James (August 24th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sales tax would be the fairest or best in this scenario. It would pick up money from cash workers and would only nail you in what you spent. Plus you'd catch a little tourist spending.

However the thing that comes to mind for me is if we get 15 more schools and the tax is supposed to cover only capital projects; where is the money coming from for administrators, teachers and support staff for these 15 more schools? I don't think that has been addressed yet.

Plus as mentioned above. The bill hasn't been written yet??? Remember Obama care (we have to vote for it before we can see what's inside)

17. The Following 2 Users Like tahoe1028's Post:

BryanC (August 25th, 2016), Toyota_James (August 24th, 2016)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoe1028 View Post

However the thing that comes to mind for me is if we get 15 more schools and the tax is supposed to cover only capital projects; where is the money coming from for administrators, teachers and support staff for these 15 more schools? I don't think that has been addressed yet.

Plus as mentioned above. The bill hasn't been written yet??? Remember Obama care (we have to vote for it before we can see what's inside)
    Bingo. To hear them talk about it on some of the news article on FB, they do claim the money is "dedicated" and going into a separate account strictly to new school building and maintenance. Well, after the build the new schools, that staff ain't going to be affordable on the primary budget. So either they'd have to raid the new, "dedicated" budget or come back to us hat in hand for another tax increase.

Plus, if the new tax is to build new schools needed immediately, why is said tax permanent?

Don't get me wrong, I've got a kiddo about to enter the system. It's not that I don't feel for them and the problems, I'm just not willing to throw money at problems where government is involved.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

19. The Following User Likes jfrey123's Post:

Toyota_James (August 24th, 2016)

Vendor
    Real Name
    sharon(male)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another use of "the children" as sentimental extrusion tools!, if you vote yes, in two years we will see another "tax" as again its for "the children".....thieves, fire the board, fire the super as she is making 400k while not even living here ...she lives in VEGAS!!! WTF!!! wake up stupid parents..... Sandoval, Hillary and even Gino (I was shocked he joined that club..) can go F themselves....
    ** Quality Firearms for competitive prices, with the best customer service by ret. Law Enforcement & Combat military Veterans (U.S & IDF)**

MaccabeeArms.com

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really good points in here that I haven't thought about and good ammo when I'm debating the pro people on this. I've read SOS Washoe has already raised well over 1 million dollars in support of this. A waste of money that could have gone to the schools if it fails. It's also interesting to see all the Republicans coming out to support this. It might be political suicide to come out against it but a lot of them are actually endorsing it.

Also, what's the procedure for when they actually write the law? Does it have to be done before voting or is it something that is done after it passes (if it passes)?
    Last edited by cmarjeep; August 24th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarjeep View Post
    Also, what's the procedure for when they actually write the law? Does it have to be done before voting or is it something that is done after it passes (if it passes)?
    As far as I know, the vote is a direction to the law makers to write a law with the directions in the ballot question. So, the law would be written after the vote. Laws are not written without some sort of host to write the law. In this case the host would be the voters directing the state legislature to write the law. Typically each agency has a maximum of 1 or 2 requests at each legislature session to correct or rewrite laws. This would be a voter directed referendum and does legally bind the legislature to write a law based on the ballot question. It does not however, bind the house and senate members to not use the passage of this as leverage for other potential laws...

I know enough to be dangerous, so someone correct me if I am wrong. Pretty sure I am correct though.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure this has a snowballs chance in Vegas....
    Not worth the post

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLittle View Post
    Pretty sure this has a snowballs chance in Vegas....
    Not worth the post

This is a County vote, not a state vote. So I suppose you are correct, as Vegas will not be voting on this....

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two reasons for No. First, the Washoe County School Board has shown repeated ineptitude. The unbelievable hire of the latest Superintendent, Traci Davis, was the nail in the coffin. Until the entire Board is replaced and they earn a track record of prudent management I resist giving them a dime.

Second, sales taxes of any type are very regressive - they take a much larger portion of lower income folks' earnings.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post

Second, sales taxes of any type are very regressive - they take a much larger portion of lower income folks' earnings.
    All I have to say to that is people should work hard and better themselves. I don't get mad when some hipster computer guru who makes a mint on his stock options buys a Tesla and pays sales tax on a 100k car.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlecock View Post
    No that is funding the general fund. When you read money is deposited as a credit for schools, or anything else, it means it goes to the general fund and the next year they use that credit to give them less money. Funded 50 million this year = 40 million + 10 million credit next year. This is why it's important to read the bill and see where it actually goes instead of listening to people telling you it goes somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they are the ones putting the burden on the schools.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedirtman View Post
    And they are the ones putting the burden on the schools.
    Uhhhh........

That is kind of strained logic. You seem to be saying that those darned kids put burden on schools. But if there weren't any kids, why have schools?

Education betters us all. A better educated populace is more self sufficient, less reliant on others (government) to take care of them, and adds to the overall good.

I'm just saying a general sales tax takes a bigger bite out of those that can afford it least because they spend a bigger portion of their income buying stuff they need than do those that are more well off.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If eduction helps us ALL out why do the poor get a pass? Your theory sounds good but in reality people that don't have skin in the game will take things given to them for free for granted and most really don't care. Look at schools in Chicago, Baltimore, and even Hawaii. They spend crazy money on schools and have welfare running wild and the school districts are not putting out productive citizens. They are spending $250-400k per student from k-12 and will likely never see it come back in future tax earnings. Most inner city kids just go right to welfare after school (if they finish) putting even more burden on the system. It may sound backwards to what is put out there but if you cut government programs on welfare and charge a per student fee for schools you will get better end results from the schools. Education is a great thing and knowledge is power but if there is no incentive or desire to getting the education the time and effort is wasted. People work harder for something they really want or have to pay for. The school system is broken and after 50 years of this we should be looking at the core issue not just throw money at it. Then again without jobs in the economy why even have schools, but that is another issue.

Funny how everything has to be fair and equal until it comes down to paying the check.

31. The Following 4 Users Like Thedirtman's Post:

69cj5 (August 29th, 2016), CashMoney (August 26th, 2016), Desertninja775 (August 26th, 2016), tahoe1028 (August 26th, 2016)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely favor a sales vs income. Everyone should have skin in the game. Everyone.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just saying a general sales tax takes a bigger bite out of those that can afford it least because they spend a bigger portion of their income buying stuff they need than do those that are more well off.
    but here in Nevada the things you need most shelter and food (unprepared) are not taxed so I don't see how a poor person is affected until they buy an iPhone, or a car,or fast food. If they cant afford a car there is mass transit. your bus ticket isn't taxed.

edit: and to clarify so were not splitting hairs I know there is property tax on houses or condos apartments. I'm just saying there isn't a special rental tax or nothing like that.
    Last edited by tahoe1028; August 26th, 2016 at 01:17 PM.