Thread: Two snowbound rigs on Rubicon

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove to Sacramento today - over on 80, back on 50 and over Spooner Summit. There is a lot of snow at higher elevations. Finding them may be a challenge. Good Luck.

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Well that's good news! Glad you guys are out, that's what's important.
    The rigs will be fine, but might be there till early spring if these storms keep up.
    I'm in Reno, have a rig built for snow, and am down to try to get em but it'll have to be in between storms and with a few other experienced winter wheelers.
    The rig in the middle of the trail may not be "fine". The trail gets more use in the winter than you would think. People get pissed when they come across vehicles abandoned in the middle of the trail. I sure as hell wouldn't leave my rig out there for any length of time. I can't help but wonder, who leaves a rig stuck in the middle of the trail and heads out to Observation with the other running rig?
    KK6EGU
    Hopeless Jeep Addict

3. The Following User Likes Posimoto's Post:

turbobrick (January 5th, 2017)

Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to be a voice of reason here. Take it as you will. The snow conditions are deep powder. DEEP powder. Any tracked vehicle will have an okay time going on level snow. Off camber will make it tough for even the best tracked vehicles.

In order for the snow to change to a better more solid form so that vehicles can drive on it will take a week of sun combined with warmer daytime temps and freezing overnight. AT LEAST a week of this every day.

I think Im qualified to make these observations about conditions. I have wheeled over 20 feet of snow on the Tahoe side in June more than a few times. This is deep winter, those conditions do not exist.

Don't leave more vehicles up there. A rig on 46 tires or 49 tires will have the utmost difficulty today, tomotrow and in to February or March.

5. The Following 4 Users Like cruzila's Post:

CashMoney (January 5th, 2017), Curly (January 5th, 2017), Dirty Harry (January 5th, 2017), Posimoto (January 5th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Thanks posimoto I'm willing to take my licks for being "that guy" For the record my boys and went out in two rigs on New Year's Day (before the storm) when I rimmed my right front AND my spare up near observation. We drove out that night in my sons XJ NP and went back the next day when we got hung up in the ice in that rig. Like you I'm most concerned about blocking the trail, which could really be bad situation on multiple fronts.

7. The Following 4 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

braindead0 (January 6th, 2017), CashMoney (January 5th, 2017), Dirty Harry (January 5th, 2017), Posimoto (January 5th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruzila you may be right but I'm not convinced it's powder at 7000 feet, which is roughly where both rigs are. The reports I've seen indicate we had rain and wet snow below 7000 which actually melted a lot of what we got Mon/Tue. The rigs are right on that cusp so we'll see. I'm at lake level (6200) and the snow Is still wet this morning with a cold front moving in tonight. It was a real sloppy mess all day yesterday at lake level.

9. The Following 2 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

CashMoney (January 5th, 2017), Dirty Harry (January 5th, 2017)

Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hiemstra View Post
    Ha! Thanks posimoto I'm willing to take my licks for being "that guy" For the record my boys and went out in two rigs on New Year's Day (before the storm) when I rimmed my right front AND my spare up near observation. We drove out that night in my sons XJ NP and went back the next day when we got hung up in the ice in that rig. Like you I'm most concerned about blocking the trail, which could really be bad situation on multiple fronts.
    That explains a lot. I wasn't trying to flame you at all. Wish I could help but my rig is waiting on a new axle. Snow here in KB was total slop. I'm guessing you wheel out there a lot and know your way around. If the snow is light you may blow right through it. I was out at Observation a week and a half ago. There wasn't enough snow then, but the ice ponds were tough. Especially the one at the bottom of Potato Patch. Good luck to you. At least it will be an adventure for 2017.
    KK6EGU
    Hopeless Jeep Addict

11. The Following User Likes Posimoto's Post:

Dirty Harry (January 5th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries thanks posimoto the water hole below potato patch is the one that bit me 4" slab of ice took my tire off the rim

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trail update: I just scouted the beginning of the paved road to the staging area and the snow is just over knee deep, about 27" between the tracks. It's fresh but firm, not dry powder. I can easily walk on the tracks about calf deep but sink to my knees in the middle. I'd post a picture but I'm not sure how to do it....
    Last edited by Doug Hiemstra; January 5th, 2017 at 01:29 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

Curly (January 5th, 2017), Dirty Harry (January 5th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick note to let you all know we are good to go tomorrow. I'll update this thread afterward to let everyone how we made out.

16. The Following User Likes Doug Hiemstra's Post:

Asinine (January 5th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures please! Good Luck!

18. The Following 2 Users Like DJRENO's Post:

geargrinder (January 6th, 2017), WILLD420 (January 6th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we gave it the yoemans effort. Made it as far as the Buck Lake turn off about a 1/4 mile past the staging area and made the no-brainer decision to turn back. The snow is simply to deep, probably about 4' at 6,800 where we turned around and was getting deeper the further we went. We had a lot of fun though and everyone made it out safely without incident....except for the fact that I backed into Kenny's rig and bent my Jerry can rack. He got me back later by running over my lunch bag. We're pretty confident that both rigs are unscathed, snug as a bug under 5' of snow. Huge thank you to Jim in his CJ7, Scott in what used to be a YJ and now is just plain awesome, Kenny and Nathan in Kenny's JK, and Tim in his nasty yellow checker board Willys, who BTW showed off his Paul Bunyun accumen by clearing a big tree across the trail. Fun times. I'm headed down the hill tonight to put my son on a plane back to school. Will keep you posted.

20. The Following User Likes Doug Hiemstra's Post:

pack leader (April 23rd, 2017)

Real Name
    Tim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad everyone is out and okay. Bummer about the rigs but they aint going anywhere. I can attest to the powder. We played all day on the sleds on the Loon Side. Once you got off you sank balls deep.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we get that 8 inches of rain they just forecast for the lake, you might float them out or it might melt 1/2 that snow.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you won't have to worry about anyone molesting your rigs for awhile. I'll have my rig running near future. If we get a break in weather, like a warm couple of weeks, things could change and be more favorable for recovery. I subscribed to this thread and I'm a Tahoe local. Post up if you plan another expedition.
    KK6EGU
    Hopeless Jeep Addict

24. The Following User Likes Posimoto's Post:

Bryan lopez (January 10th, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kade
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to go also if we want to try for another recovery

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This rain may help out a lot.

Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pic of the red Jeep was taken in the water/ice hole at the bottom of Potato Patch about 2 weeks ago. The other is my Jeep in some random ice pond between Miller and Potato Patch. They can be tough as you push a lot of ice forward and when you hit the end you have pushed up an ice wall in front of you. Seems like the pond below Potato Patch is deeper than usual which doesn't help breaking the ice as it's almost to the top of my 35's.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    KK6EGU
    Hopeless Jeep Addict

28. The Following 2 Users Like Posimoto's Post:

Bryan lopez (January 10th, 2017), deyzd (January 8th, 2017)

Real Name
    Tim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather forecasts are just that, Forecasts but they are calling for another 6 feet of snow on the Loon Lake side between now and Thursday. Be careful!

30. The Following User Likes Curly's Post:

Dirty Harry (January 9th, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today might have been your last chance if the water wasn't too deep in the crossings.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

32. The Following User Likes WILLD420's Post:

maxamillion2345 (January 9th, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they're buried completely at this point. At least they're safe!

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

35. The Following 2 Users Like RARECJ8's Post:

maxamillion2345 (January 12th, 2017), N7TJ (January 12th, 2017)

Real Name
    Tim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates guys? Snow shoes, walk in etc etc?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KF7RMK

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was taken a week ago. If you don't recognize it, it's the Tahoma entrance to the Rubicon. There's been some rain and now it's snowing. Behind the initial pile, there was only three or four feet of snow. More pictures on my website: www.TheOtherRubicon.com.

I'm going to try and snowmobile and/or snowshoe in before the end of the month.

Doug Barr - www.TheOtherRubicon.com
    Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's & No. Tahoe Trail Dusters

39. The Following 2 Users Like Simple Man's Post:

CashMoney (February 3rd, 2017), Dirty Harry (February 3rd, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys thanks for checking in. No news to report. Both rigs are still out there. I've got a snow cat on standby (thanks to jmurphy!) when conditions permit but snowmagedon doesn't seem to want to let up. Doug thanks for the photo I'd be glad to snowshoe in with you anytime at your convenience. I've also now got my quad on tracks if you want to snow machine in. The snow gets deeper once you're out of that first protected spot BTW. I spent this week working out, getting in shape for the "big dig" shoveled 5' of snow off my deck...."recovered" the hot tub RARECJ8 thanks for the link.....I'm now referring this as "Operation Glacier Girl". Seriously it could be a while. Thinking maybe we organize an Easter Egg hunt on the Con?

41. The Following 3 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

Bryan lopez (April 18th, 2017), CashMoney (February 4th, 2017), Posimoto (February 6th, 2017)