Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two snowbound rigs on Rubicon

Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I spent Sat/Sun/Mon afternoon on the trail and conditions are looking promising for recovery effort in a few weeks. I made it to the first rig on Saturday and the good news is its no where in sight, completely covered under 6-7 feet of snow. I did not attempt the second rig. Snow is still deep but melting fast, though we do have a storm coming in this weekend that will dump another 3-4' at 7K. A couple of built local rigs were out late Sunday afternoon and were able to stay on top putting down fresh tracks in the soft stuff so the base looks to be pretty solid. Half a dozen tank traps between staging area and Miller Lake. Biggest safety concern is the bridge just before staging area. I plan to get out again on my quad after this next storm to reassess but thinking Easter weekend or the weekend after (4/21-4/23) may be possibilities for recovery effort.

2. The Following 9 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

Bryan lopez (1 Week Ago), CashMoney (2 Weeks Ago), darren y (1 Week Ago), deyzd (2 Weeks Ago), Dirty Harry (2 Weeks Ago), RARECJ8 (2 Weeks Ago), Ronnie (2 Weeks Ago), seal13il (4 Days Ago), slopoke (2 Weeks Ago)

Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't yet been out on my quad after this last storm and may not get out until next week. Looks like we got about 2' of new snow and a bit more on the way this weekend. Shooting to push back a week and assemble a recovery crew for the weekend of 4/28-30 which will give me some time to nibble away at the trail before the big boys come in. Stay tuned.

4. The Following 2 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

Bryan lopez (5 Days Ago), darren y (1 Week Ago)

Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Operation Glacier Girl is a go! I finally got back on the trail yesterday after the rain and conditions look good for a recovery effort the weekend of 4/28-30. The new snow we got last week is ankle deep mush on top of the hard pack and melting fast. There's one spot on the access road where the asphalt is exposed but it's still mostly 5 to 6 feet deep to the staging area, 6 to 7 feet beyond that. The snow on the bridge is getting pretty skinny, just wide enough for my quad and remains my top safety concern. I plan to spend this week on the trail doing what I can clearing downed trees, smoothing out tank traps and packing down the snow.

So far I've connected with 8 or 9 guys with built rigs and snow recovery experience willing to give it a go, so it looks like we have a good core group. Others are welcome too. If interested best way to reach me is to call or txt me, (415) 531-1441.

I'll update and provide further details as we get closer. Thank you.

6. The Following 6 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

carbonunit (4 Days Ago), grumpyoldretiredcop (4 Days Ago), Jeep Chick (4 Days Ago), mattific (4 Days Ago), RenoTaco (4 Days Ago), xiong.kevin93 (4 Days Ago)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Ronnie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rig is sh!t in the snow or I would be there in a second. Good luck dude!!! Take lots of pics.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get snowmobiles in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KF7RMK

Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been snowmobiles on the trail though they are winding thru the trees to bypass the obstacles. There are some snow bridges across the creeks but they're looking pretty thin.

Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Operation Glacier Girl Update: Change of Plans

Yesterday (Saturday) Nick from Reno4x4 and I made it to the first rig on our tracked quads. We had hoped to uncover it for the recovery crew this coming weekend. We were encouraged to see that the snow on the trail has melted to the ground in many places but imoressed it's also 10-12 feet in others. Unfortunately my son's rig, which is at approx 7,100 ft is completely buried in one of those 12' sections. So it goes. We tried to locate its exact position (I have it marked on GPS) but my 8' probe (plus the length of my arm) never touched it. We decided to leave it as it sits and not try to dig down to find it. To complicate matters there is a big lodge pole pine down across the trail just before that first rig, the base of which is 4' in diameter (Matt thank you for that scouting report). Nick and I bypased the big tree but we don't believe a 4x4 can do the same. it has to come out.

I've communicated to most of the core group what we're up against and we've decided to modify our objective for next weekend. We will assemble our crew early Saturday and attempt to break trail to the first rig (or the big pine, if we can't get past it) and then return home that afternoon/evening. We will not plan to dig the first rig out or attempt to recover during this trip. Once we've established that we can reach it I will begin digging it out and reschedule a recovery. Some crew members may go out again Sunday but we do not plan to spend the night.

I spent the week smoothing out the first couple of tank traps and creek crossings. Nick and I met a few rigs attempting to cross the first tank trap and I saw one make it through and back again. I don't know if anyone went further than that. There is one other big tree down immediately past the first creek crossing that will be a major obstacle but I belive that current conditions will allow us to drive over it. Nick cleared quite a few smaller trees blocking the trail to the first rig (thank you NIck!). For you woodsmen out there don't worry there's plenty more to do.

I know others were out today I curious to get a report of how they fared. If you decide to go please be very cautious crossing the bridge to the staging area. It's getting pretty skinny and I'm worried someone will drop a tire off the side. Thank you.