Thread: Two snowbound rigs on Rubicon

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Operation Glacier Girl will be back in action this weekend. We have a small group headed in before first light tomorrow and likely another staging around 7am. I'm told one of the local clubs may stage at 9. I was able to put eyes on the second rig Tuesday though I hiked the last mile. That rig has completely melted out. Trail conditions below the Y down to potato patch continue to be treacherous with nasty 8 to 10 ft hard packed drifts and side hills and deep water holes that are difficult to get up and out of. There are a dozen down trees in that section that have yet to be cleared so we'll have our work cut out for us breaking trail tomorrow. The trail from Tahoma to Lilly Lake has melted to the dirt, same from potato patch to OP. A few rigs including some SXS's in the past week have made the hole where the Cherokee was, no one has ventured beyond that. Will update Sunday, hopefully with good news.

2. The Following 8 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

AR1988 (June 16th, 2017), carbonunit (June 16th, 2017), CashMoney (June 19th, 2017), McNasty (June 16th, 2017), RARECJ8 (June 16th, 2017), Reckless Aaron (June 16th, 2017), renoanyone (June 16th, 2017), RenoTaco (June 16th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to report Operation Glacier Girl has reached a successful conclusion! The 2nd rig reached the Tahoma staging area late yesterday afternoon with the help of an amazing crew of volunteer wheelers. JJ (Sami), Kevin (Willys), Scott (YJ) with his son Austin, and I staged at 4:30am and reached the rig by 8 or so. JJ was tip of the spear and did a fantastic job pointing the way the entire day. I had spent Friday clearing trees, making it to the rig on my quad for the first time late Friday afternoon. On the way out I was absolutely thrilled to see a group of five well built rigs out of South Lake breaking trail hoping to make Rubicon Springs that evening. It took that group 5 hours to bust through the snow to just above potato patch, which helped our crew immensely. The 2nd rig, my 73 Chevy (affectionately known as Grampa), limped out under its own power without his windshield, a tank of watered down fuel, four broken leaf springs, and a missing front shock we removed as the upper mount gave way at some point this winter. The roof was caved in along the top of the windshield but with the help of a farm jack JJ performed some slick body work to allow the driver better visibility and a little head room. We had a relaxed ride out meeting Toyota Mike, Gregg (YJ) and his friend Kade in a built FJ. Gregg and Kade continued on down to OP and Mike joined our crew playing clean up on the way home. JJ, Scott and Kevin showed tremendous patience spotting an inexperienced snow wheeler through the rough spots and providing Gramps a tug when needed. Everyone made it home safe and sound, no breakages with the exception of a snatch rope, but that snapped pulling a high centered JKU off the snow on the way out. Getting Grampa off the trail on Fathers Day weekend, 6 months and 17 days after he went in, seemed a fitting end to OGG and an epic winter here in the Sierras. One for the ages. Thanks to all those who pitched in. I cannot tell you how much my son and I appreciate the outpouring of support we've received. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Be safe out there and we'll see you on the trail soon.

4. The Following 14 Users Like Doug Hiemstra's Post:

69cj5 (June 19th, 2017), braindead0 (June 19th, 2017), CashMoney (June 19th, 2017), Jeep Chick (June 19th, 2017), mattific (June 18th, 2017), Mr_Scott (June 19th, 2017), Newbie CJ7 (June 18th, 2017), RankRam (June 23rd, 2017), RARECJ8 (June 18th, 2017), Reckless Aaron (June 19th, 2017), RenoTaco (June 19th, 2017), ScoobyMike (June 18th, 2017), seal13il (June 18th, 2017), WILLD420 (June 18th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Ronnie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a epic thread. I can't wait to see pictures. Glad you got your rig out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Likes Ronnie's Post:

69cj5 (June 19th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to hear.

Four broken leaf springs? As in single leafs, or all four completely broken and no suspension?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All four leaf springs had broken leafs and shaped like soft sine wave but they held together and supported the vehicle. The right front tire was rubbing the fender all the way out. Working on getting pics uploaded for everyone.

9. The Following User Likes Doug Hiemstra's Post:

Dennis (June 21st, 2017)

Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Hope the damage isn't too bad and you can get it back into wheeling shape soon