Thread: Rubicon Scramble 2017

Real Name
    Gordon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in (with my 9yr old)!

It looks like we'll leave Phoenix on the 19th, drive more on the 20th and meet you at the Tahoma side on the 21st. From there, it seems 1 day of driving to the campsite and stay there for the 21st. Do people tend to take a day off there or continue driving out on the 22nd? If the latter, drive a few hours south towards Phoenix on the 22nd and stay at a hotel. Complete driving home to Phoenix on the 23rd.

Does that sound feasible? If so, I'll go book hotels.

Thanks!

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two ways to run Rubicon. Eastward from Loon Lake (or wentworth springs) to Tahoe, (most popular) or westward from Tahoe to Loon. Most that drive the entire trail budget for at least 3 days to take in the sights (lots of historic stuff and scenic views) and for some R&R along the river. (swimming/floating, rope swing, etc.) Camping is allowed anywhere along the trail so long as the rig is within 25' of trail. the exception is at Rubicon Springs. This is private property and one may generally camp where you like so long as you follow their rules and pay a flat per-rig fee. $25. for your stay.

if staying at dirty dozen we will collect your camp fee and pay the owners directly.

Other exception is at buck Island where more dispersed camping takes place below the spillway as its a wide open area suitable for groups. At Wentworth Springs there is a quasi-developed camp area.

For the Scramble the camp site is at Rubicon Springs and we have reserved the group site called Dirty Dozen, right on the water. This requires a drive across the Rubicon River but is very easy. Some will arrive from the Loon side, others go in via Tahoma to the Springs. From here one may enjoy river sports or hike up to the main center camp at Rubicon Springs, which is a must-visit location. Lots of history, iconic mechanic's camp and other structures to explore, etc. There is a short walk to the historic stone cabin. Also have a taste of soda springs water from the historic namesake.

Or from Dirty Dozen one may take day runs to Big Sluice, Buck Island or as far as you want. Or a day trip on the long lake trail is always fun.

when its time to leave, head out one of the two ways.

For many attending this year, we will stage at gold's ranch west of reno 9am 9/21, link up with others at the Tahoma staging area at 11am then roll down caddy to the Springs. On Sunday 9/24 many will exit the same way, while others elect to continue west to loon.

This is a BYO event. Rig should be in top shape, carry your own food and drink. Many camps set up a potluck sharing dinner. Wx can be hot days and chilly nights. We've had the full spread of wx in the last 20 years hosting the event. From snow, torrential rain to blistering heat. This late in the season biting insects are generally not a problem, however there is a menace known as meat bees. (yellow jacket like insects) they are hidden until you start cooking protein. Expect the swarm. More irritating than dangerous but if one is allergic to stings, be prepared. We use a screened room for a lounge and bug-free cook shack.

Critters to contend with can be brown bears and the problems tend to be more toward Buck Island. But the threat to food stores must be considered. We've seen food boxes hoisted aloft over a tree branch using a winch. Some better coolers are bear-resistant. Research will help ID what is attractive to bears and pack accordingly.

The greater menace is rattle snakes. Each year there are more and more. Not so much in populated camp areas, but in the trees/brush. Careful walking thru the forest, exercising high caution for foot and hand placement. Some hike with a ski pole to flick one out of the way if needed. No reason to kill em unless necessary. This also means keep your tents securely zipped closed. Even a short section of open tent is an invitation for an unwanted visitor.

Throughout the springs are porta pottys for ur use. Bring TP. Along the trail pottys are located at Buck, little sluice and ellis creek. Other than that, the official rule is pack it in, pack it out, meaning everything. there are poo bags to handle this, but one must follow their own conscience. Too many 'white flowers' and fecal contamination saw spider lake closed to lake side rig camping. One may still camp at Spider but one must hump in all your from the trail (25' parking rule for rigs applies here) over to the lake.

You are welcome to join us from Reno to the springs or meet up at Tahoma. A group from LA will meet us there 11am. Then the fun begins.

Suggest bringing a VHF radio. The entire trail is fully covered by a ham radio repeater and this is good insurance. Also car to car communication is helpful for spotting and traffic control. Worst case we can arrange a loaner for you. No need for a ham licens just to listen.

if there are any other questions please post up, we're happy to help.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good of the events of what is going/could happen. Thanks Mark as you know I will be there. This is such a great event

Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    There are two ways to run Rubicon. Eastward from Loon Lake (or wentworth springs) to Tahoe, (most popular) or westward from Tahoe to Loon. Most that drive the entire trail budget for at least 3 days to take in the sights (lots of historic stuff and scenic views) and for some R&R along the river. (swimming/floating, rope swing, etc.) Camping is allowed anywhere along the trail so long as the rig is within 25' of trail. the exception is at Rubicon Springs. This is private property and one may generally camp where you like so long as you follow their rules and pay a flat per-rig fee. $25. for your stay.

if staying at dirty dozen we will collect your camp fee and pay the owners directly.

Other exception is at buck Island where more dispersed camping takes place below the spillway as its a wide open area suitable for groups. At Wentworth Springs there is a quasi-developed camp area.

For the Scramble the camp site is at Rubicon Springs and we have reserved the group site called Dirty Dozen, right on the water. This requires a drive across the Rubicon River but is very easy. Some will arrive from the Loon side, others go in via Tahoma to the Springs. From here one may enjoy river sports or hike up to the main center camp at Rubicon Springs, which is a must-visit location. Lots of history, iconic mechanic's camp and other structures to explore, etc. There is a short walk to the historic stone cabin. Also have a taste of soda springs water from the historic namesake.

Or from Dirty Dozen one may take day runs to Big Sluice, Buck Island or as far as you want. Or a day trip on the long lake trail is always fun.

when its time to leave, head out one of the two ways.

For many attending this year, we will stage at gold's ranch west of reno 9am 9/21, link up with others at the Tahoma staging area at 11am then roll down caddy to the Springs. On Sunday 9/24 many will exit the same way, while others elect to continue west to loon.

This is a BYO event. Rig should be in top shape, carry your own food and drink. Many camps set up a potluck sharing dinner. Wx can be hot days and chilly nights. We've had the full spread of wx in the last 20 years hosting the event. From snow, torrential rain to blistering heat. This late in the season biting insects are generally not a problem, however there is a menace known as meat bees. (yellow jacket like insects) they are hidden until you start cooking protein. Expect the swarm. More irritating than dangerous but if one is allergic to stings, be prepared. We use a screened room for a lounge and bug-free cook shack.

Critters to contend with can be brown bears and the problems tend to be more toward Buck Island. But the threat to food stores must be considered. We've seen food boxes hoisted aloft over a tree branch using a winch. Some better coolers are bear-resistant. Research will help ID what is attractive to bears and pack accordingly.

The greater menace is rattle snakes. Each year there are more and more. Not so much in populated camp areas, but in the trees/brush. Careful walking thru the forest, exercising high caution for foot and hand placement. Some hike with a ski pole to flick one out of the way if needed. No reason to kill em unless necessary. This also means keep your tents securely zipped closed. Even a short section of open tent is an invitation for an unwanted visitor.

Throughout the springs are porta pottys for ur use. Bring TP. Along the trail pottys are located at Buck, little sluice and ellis creek. Other than that, the official rule is pack it in, pack it out, meaning everything. there are poo bags to handle this, but one must follow their own conscience. Too many 'white flowers' and fecal contamination saw spider lake closed to lake side rig camping. One may still camp at Spider but one must hump in all your from the trail (25' parking rule for rigs applies here) over to the lake.

You are welcome to join us from Reno to the springs or meet up at Tahoma. A group from LA will meet us there 11am. Then the fun begins.

Suggest bringing a VHF radio. The entire trail is fully covered by a ham radio repeater and this is good insurance. Also car to car communication is helpful for spotting and traffic control. Worst case we can arrange a loaner for you. No need for a ham licens just to listen.

if there are any other questions please post up, we're happy to help.
    1975 J20 Jeep FI454/ th400/203/205 /118 wheelbase. SOA, OBA, 42" Pitbulls beadlocked on tons

4. The Following User Likes Mike's Post:

RARECJ8 (July 18th, 2017)

Real Name
    Gordon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious - how problematic is it to drive the 2nd half (Rubicon Springs to Loon Lake) in the reverse order from other traffic? Am I lessening my first-time experience doing that? Should I consider finding who from this group will be starting in Loon Lake and meeting everyone at Rubicon Springs? I don't know if "swimming upstream" will be more frustrating than rewarding **OR** if I'm just overthinking things. hehe.

Thoughts?

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U

Quote Originally Posted by Redfist View Post
    Just curious - how problematic is it to drive the 2nd half (Rubicon Springs to Loon Lake) in the reverse order from other traffic? Am I lessening my first-time experience doing that? Should I consider finding who from this group will be starting in Loon Lake and meeting everyone at Rubicon Springs? I don't know if "swimming upstream" will be more frustrating than rewarding **OR** if I'm just overthinking things. hehe.

Thoughts?
    From springs to buck island u must contend with going up big sliuce. No easy task, but doable. A vast bulk of arrivals will be via caddy in and out. So you may contibue to buck and look and exit. Some run day runs to buck and back, so link with those rigs and see how you like it. Get a good trail guide and studt it well. Google videos. Here is one last week going up caddy from springs. Landcruiser.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=dTXBhSB_bh4

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Real Name
    Dennis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, My name is Dennis and I am planning on joining your group Rubicon trip next month. I will be coming from Phoenix with Gordon who posted some questions on this thread. I just want to make sure that you still have room for another Jeeper and at the camping spot. Also, please let me know if I need to prepay the camping fee to reserve it or anything else as a plan for the trip. I have been wanting to do the Rubicon trail for many years and I am very much looking forward to meeting the group and finally getting to live out the Rubicon trail dream!! Thank you.

8. The Following User Likes RubiconDennis's Post:

Sierra Valley (August 2nd, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dennis, the reserved camp ares is quite large with overflow, so no worries. Pay the fee once on site. We will collect and make a lump payment to the caretakers, or they will come collecting once we're all set up. Most of the Reno group will go in and back out the same way-- Tahoma to Rubicon Springs. you may exit from RS toward Loon Lake or join us on the return route to tahoe. Will you have tow rigs is a factor how you run the trail.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Real Name
    Dennis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply. We will be driving our Jeeps from Phoenix so we will not have any tow rigs. It looks like we are planning on starting from Loon Lake and meeting up with your group at Rubicon Springs on I believe the night of 9/21.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect. Loon to Springs is a great drive. If this is a first time, research the heck out off the trail (i can snail mail you a cool map), check out youtube videos and given the amazing things to see and do, consider breaking up the loon-springs run into 2 days. Many camp first night at Buck Island-- just west of the dam is a large wide open camp area.

Then once in the Springs we will be at Dirty Dozen which is thru and north of the main center camp. Kind of tricky to explain how find it coming from main camp. Do you have VHF ham capabilities? We can try to drop a google earth pin

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Real Name
    Dennis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the FunTreks guidebook and GPS card. Did not think about 2 days to do the Loon Lake to CS. I will watch YouTube videos and do a lot of research on it. Really looking forward to the trip. I will take you up on the map. I can send you a stamped envelope or pay you for the map and postage at the campsite. I do not have VHM radio capabilities. I have a CB currently. Gordon, who I am going with may. I will check with him. Thank you for all of your help!!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really is a good idea to plan 2 days from Loon. If you are well equipped and get an early start it could be done in a day. But if you break, have traffic, etc. you will trying to do unknown territory in the dark when very tired. That aside, take time to smell the roses. It is a wonderful area and don't come all this way and not see it because you are pushing to make it in a day. https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...65&oe=5A37848C

Real Name
    Gordon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Gordon BTW. I've read stories about people who have completed the entire trail in one long grueling drive. I'm not interested in that. Like Dennis, this is a Bucket List item for me. I want to enjoy it and "smell the roses".

It sounds like starting at Loon Lake, spend 1 night at Buck Island (9/21) and then 1 night at Dirty Dozen (9/22) may be the way to go for us. We'll then exit on 9/23 towards Tahoma and start driving back towards Phoenix.

I do have a Ham radio that I purchased recently. I'm about 70% through the material and will take my test shortly. I'll be licensed by the time we head out. I'm really looking forward to it!

15. The Following 2 Users Like Redfist's Post:

RARECJ8 (August 2nd, 2017), Sierra Valley (August 2nd, 2017)

Vendor
    Real Name
    sharon(male)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ill still make it (might go on Honor Flight that weekend), I might be coming from the Loon side this time.....
    ** Quality Firearms for competitive prices, with the best customer service by ret. Law Enforcement & Combat military Veterans (U.S & IDF)**

MaccabeeArms.com

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfist View Post
    This is Gordon BTW. I've read stories about people who have completed the entire trail in one long grueling drive. I'm not interested in that. Like Dennis, this is a Bucket List item for me. I want to enjoy it and "smell the roses".

It sounds like starting at Loon Lake, spend 1 night at Buck Island (9/21) and then 1 night at Dirty Dozen (9/22) may be the way to go for us. We'll then exit on 9/23 towards Tahoma and start driving back towards Phoenix.

I do have a Ham radio that I purchased recently. I'm about 70% through the material and will take my test shortly. I'll be licensed by the time we head out. I'm really looking forward to it!

Once you arrive into Rubicon Springs you will immediately see what a paradise it is and we highly suggest a lay over for a day just to see all the location has to offer. The original name sake for Rubicon Springs, stone cabin and lots to do just around the river. Then join us up and out caddy on Sunday. Caddy is no easy task. Group = support. Rule for Rubicon is always budget slush time for unexpected delays, etc. Or coming this far you may wish you had an extra day for R&R. As we get closer we will update ham repeater information and if ur not fully comfortable, have someone set ur radio at home for the frequencies we will be using.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting closer, Excited this year will have my two grandchildren with me. A 5 years old boy and a 7 year old girl
    1975 J20 Jeep FI454/ th400/203/205 /118 wheelbase. SOA, OBA, 42" Pitbulls beadlocked on tons

19. The Following User Likes Mike's Post:

tstory1 (August 22nd, 2017)

Real Name
    thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be going if I can get the toyoda put together upgraded knuckles and a new ring and pinion for the rear. kinda destroyed it at hammers lol
    83 yoter, 22r, full exo, ARBs F+R, 4.88s, chromos, Dual cases 4.7 in rear, 35s on champion B locks, flatbed.
    71 fj40, in shop tore apartish.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Getting closer, Excited this year will have my two grandchildren with me. A 5 years old boy and a 7 year old girl
    That's great. My best pictures from last year, were of the kids playing whenever we were stopped.
    '06 Orange LJ Rubicon
    KI7HVC

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER View Post
    That's great. My best pictures from last year, were of the kids playing whenever we were stopped.
    yep that is great

Real Name
    Gordon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things are still on track for RubiconDennis and I starting from the Loon side on the morning of the 21st. I do have a dual band ham radio (I'm going to play w/ APRS as we do this). My callsign is K7GHS.

Thanks!

24. The Following User Likes Redfist's Post:

RubiconDennis (September 10th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed with the caretakers today. We are all set. Do you have the spider repeater info?

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Rubicon, oh yeah! Jeep's put back together from the last trip. I need to learn how to drive without hitting my front diff or get bigger tires. Maybe both.
    '06 Orange LJ Rubicon
    KI7HVC

Real Name
    Rodney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will there be a meet & greet before the scramble??

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Rubicon Taxi and I will be coming down sat morning due to work.
    "A SWISS WATCH DON'T RUN ON HORSE POWER"

29. The Following User Likes T.O.R.MAN's Post:

Sierra Valley (September 11th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneycoral View Post
    Will there be a meet & greet before the scramble??
    9/19 is monthly pizza meeting. Join us for updates. Else we meet Thursday 9am gold ranch to caravan to tahoma. Or just meet us in the springs. Check first post for updates.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 99% sure I'm going to head in with you Mark!

32. The Following User Likes trupster415's Post:

Sierra Valley (September 11th, 2017)