Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations for Roofing in Reno

Need tear off and installation of new roof, figured I'd ask here first, should be an easy job.. simple roof.. Thanks.
    Last edited by braindead0; April 24th, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Kris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about Rod the Roofer....no personal experience. Please post up when it's done, I have been looking for a new one since the guy I used moved shop to Texas!

REMODELS, ADDITIONS, DECKS, PATIO COVERS, ETC

http://www.ahometoenvy.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...y/195710582079

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."-Eleanor Roosevelt

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine owns East Fork roofing. They do good work. He fixed our roof and did a great job. What kind of roof? At the moment they don't have a tile guy.

http://eastforkroofing.com/
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Ronnie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kodiak roofing. Big company that does good work

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the suggestions, that'll get me some quotes. Asphalt shingle roof, pretty basic stuff.. no valleys even.. just a 45' x 24' rectangular gable roof.

Kodiak seems to just to commercial roofing, the contact form wants a company/etc.. No mention of residential work, probably should have mentioned this is my house I need roofed ;-)
    Last edited by braindead0; April 18th, 2017 at 01:16 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NRC Roofing in Carson, these guys have done 3 roofs for me, and are the best around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Home To Envy View Post
    I've heard good things about Rod the Roofer....no personal experience. Please post up when it's done, I have been looking for a new one since the guy I used moved shop to Texas!
    If you'd like I can let you know when it's in progress, you could stop by and see the work first hand. I've done a few roofs in my day, but no expert so my recommendation wouldn't really carry much water ;-)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Kris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
    If you'd like I can let you know when it's in progress, you could stop by and see the work first hand. I've done a few roofs in my day, but no expert so my recommendation wouldn't really carry much water ;-)
    More than anything, I'd just want to know if they show up when they say, clean up after themselves, get it done timely, and make it look nice...and, of course, are licensed.

REMODELS, ADDITIONS, DECKS, PATIO COVERS, ETC

http://www.ahometoenvy.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...y/195710582079

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."-Eleanor Roosevelt

9. The Following User Likes A Home To Envy's Post:

Toyota_James (April 19th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
    A buddy of mine owns East Fork roofing. They do good work. He fixed our roof and did a great job. What kind of roof? At the moment they don't have a tile guy.

http://eastforkroofing.com/
    they are busy. i am on their list and they are backlogged something like 60 projects...
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    they are busy. i am on their list and they are backlogged something like 60 projects...
    Yikes, that might explain why I haven't heard back from them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by A Home To Envy View Post
    More than anything, I'd just want to know if they show up when they say, clean up after themselves, get it done timely, and make it look nice...and, of course, are licensed.
    I can certainly opine on that front. Their website lists Nevada Lic. #0072371, that shows up as active for Rod the Roofer and that they have a $10k bond. So the licensing and bonding check out (at least as far as NV board is concerned).

I'll be asking a lot of questions as well, I've seen roofing jobs in my neighborhood that have taken over a week.. they would come out and do a little work and leave a dumpster half full of shingles and a tarped up roof for a few days.. then come back..etc.. No way am I going to put up with that. Last roof I had put on literally took a day and it was pretty complicated on a house built in the 20's with shed dormers, nearly 3 stories up and a very steep roof to boot. Those guys were on the ball, got it done and cleaned up pretty well. That was in Ohio though, so can't recommend them here ;-).

I've probably still got a few years in the existing roof, might put this off if I can't get anyone to commit to a reasonable schedule.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they tried to get me on their list, when I asked about back log the lady back pedaled "Yes, we are very busy right now. I will remove your address from the system per your request." Seems a bit unethical, I understand not wanting to lose out on business but they should be up front about the situation.

13. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

renoanyone (April 19th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perez Roofing is very good. Small, basically family business. Was recommended to me by Washoe Building Supply. They pounded out a tile roof on my 1500 sf shop in about 4 hours. They were pretty unbelievably efficient.

I think their number is 358-7283.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 69cj5 View Post
    Perez Roofing is very good. Small, basically family business. Was recommended to me by Washoe Building Supply. They pounded out a tile roof on my 1500 sf shop in about 4 hours. They were pretty unbelievably efficient.

I think their number is 358-7283.
    Thanks, license checks out and provides this contact info:
    315 J STREET
    SPARKS, NV 89431
    (775)358-4439

I'll try that number first.

Should have Rod the Roofer here this afternoon.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spoke with Rod the Roofer, he swung by and took a look.. I should have his estimate in the morning.

I spoke with him a bit about what they recommend, what they do as far as flashing (replace all of it) and also pointed out that we don't currently have drip edge he said that would be part of the estimate as it's a code issue now.

Asked about timing, he said once they're on a job they stay on until done. Estimated 3 days tops, we have 4 layers of shingles so there's some work there.

Also asked about how they address wind, rear of our house gets nailed with the typical Reno wind, current shingles have nails in the tabs on that side. He went right to laminated shingles, didn't say if he'd estimate both options (figured I'll find out when the estimate comes in).

I'll hit up Perez next. I sent requests off to a couple of local places I found via online checks. Nothing back from anyone yet.

Any thoughts on laminated vs. regular shingles? I know nothing about the difference in cost. I don't mind paying more if the extra cost is justified, is the bang worth the buck?

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, license checks out and provides this contact info:
    315 J STREET
    SPARKS, NV 89431
    (775)358-4439
    that number has been disconnected. Number provided by @69cj5 is correct, got an answering machine but the outgoing message did say Perez Roofing. Left name and number, also suggested they get the contractor board information updated.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they tried to get me on their list, when I asked about back log the lady back pedaled "Yes, we are very busy right now. I will remove your address from the system per your request." Seems a bit unethical, I understand not wanting to lose out on business but they should be up front about the situation.
    right after i posted up HFS i got a call from the estimator and he's coming out monday.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right after i posted up HFS i got a call from the estimator and he's coming out monday.
    Wow, you've been on a waiting list to get an estimate? It'll be interesting to see how quickly they could get started if you decide to go with them. I'm still waiting for a quote from Rod the Roofer, said yesterday he'd email it in the morning.

Just spoke with Marianne at Perez Roofing. They're pretty busy as well, got an appointment for an estimate May 6th. She said it can take a few weeks from customer approval to job start. I might have to put off the roof until late July/August due to business travel.
    Last edited by braindead0; April 21st, 2017 at 11:17 AM.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emailed Rod the Roofer asking about the quote, he said he emailed.. I never received. Waiting for that now..

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got a quote from Rod the Roofer.

I should have Perez out here next weekend.

Contacted 2 more today. Must be a lot of roofing work, it's difficult getting an estimate...

My existing roof has 2 fairly large gable vents and eave vents at all eaves, home inspection we got prior to purchase called this adequate. Rod the Roofer included installing 6 '8" T-38 painted roof vents', why would I need more roof ventilation? Padding the bill or necessary?
    Last edited by braindead0; April 24th, 2017 at 12:02 PM.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the bozos built our house they completely forgot gable or roof vents. not one...

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the bozos built our house they completely forgot gable or roof vents. not one...
    Wow... how did it pass inspection? Or did you end up having to add later?

When I got our house in Ohio re-roofed, they added roof vents without event asking or noting that on the estimate.. came home and the ugly things were there. Now in that case I needed more ventilation (house build in 1927) however not in this case. As far as I'm concerned adding unnecessary penetrations to a roof is a bad idea.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here in 2005 +/- inspections were not as thorough. Drive-by permit checks were common. a lot of junk was approved that should not.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

25. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

unreng (April 27th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got a quote from Rod the Roofer.

I should have Perez out here next weekend.

Contacted 2 more today. Must be a lot of roofing work, it's difficult getting an estimate...

My existing roof has 2 fairly large gable vents and eave vents at all eaves, home inspection we got prior to purchase called this adequate. Rod the Roofer included installing 6 '8" T-38 painted roof vents', why would I need more roof ventilation? Padding the bill or necessary?
    It was not an inspection issue prior, the code changed a couple of years ago requiring the larger roof vents. Instead of the eve and roof vents you can go with a single ridge vent. The ridge vent is slight more expensive, but you will not have to have any other roof vents. They are easy to install as well. Perez did mine with the ridge vent instead. It made for a much nicer roof line. The large roof vents are REALLY big these days due to the recent code change.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 69cj5 View Post
    It was not an inspection issue prior, the code changed a couple of years ago requiring the larger roof vents. Instead of the eve and roof vents you can go with a single ridge vent. The ridge vent is slight more expensive, but you will not have to have any other roof vents. They are easy to install as well. Perez did mine with the ridge vent instead. It made for a much nicer roof line. The large roof vents are REALLY big these days due to the recent code change.
    Any idea when the code changed, our inspection was in 2012, not all that long ago it was adequate ;-)

I just checked the 'ventilation calculator' here http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...ion_Calculator

Says I need:

240 Minimum Sq. In. of Net Free Area of exhaust needed at or near the ridge.
    240 Minimum Sq. In. of Net Free Area of intake needed at or near the soffit.

My gable vents are 24" x 30", checked current offerings and they typically run 200 square inches of free area for a vent this size. So in theory I've got 400 square inches of free exhaust area near the ridge.

My roof is 45' long and has full eave venting, I'm pretty sure that's plenty...

It sounds to me like I've got enough. I'll see if I can talk to one of the other estimators when they show up, Rod the Roofer must have just drove by because I was home and never saw him or his truck.
    Last edited by braindead0; April 24th, 2017 at 01:04 PM.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    September 1, 2013.

Be careful using GAF. You need to look up the code and how they are using it here locally. It may not be and likely is not the same as the national code. Look on the counties permit website and you should be able to find the roof ventilation required.