Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 69cj5 View Post
    September 1, 2013.

Be careful using GAF. You need to look up the code and how they are using it here locally. It may not be and likely is not the same as the national code. Look on the counties permit website and you should be able to find the roof ventilation required.
    Just used that as it was the first thing that showed up, searched around Washoe county and it appears they incorporate IBC and no amendments to chapter 12 at all. So 1/150 rule seems to apply.

I'll try to catch the next estimator, and ask questions. It may be simply that Rod just drove by and assumed improper ventilation, or he pads estimates.. no clue.. it's not a big deal money wise however I don't like paying for things that aren't needed and certainly do not want any unnecessary holes in the roof.

EDIT: The GAF site and others are using 1/300 FHA 'standard'. Calculating my requirements using the 1/150 from IBC results in 480/480. In theory if my vents are similar to current offerings I'm short 80 inches of free exhaust vent. Rod the Roofer was going to install an additional 228" of exhaust venting.

Personally I'd rather install larger gable vents, already have an opening there and plenty of room to go wider or taller.

It'll be interesting to see what I get from other quotes. I'll ask about ridge venting, it would be easy for me to close off the gables from the inside and a continuous ridge vent should provide good air flow.. I'd think.
    Last edited by braindead0; April 24th, 2017 at 02:54 PM.
    Support a local Reno Artist: poxodd.com

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Home To Envy View Post
    I've heard good things about Rod the Roofer....no personal experience. Please post up when it's done, I have been looking for a new one since the guy I used moved shop to Texas!
    I've known Rod for 30 years. He's very good at what he does. His reputation suffered a little when his brother took over his Reno operation for a couple years. That's over and he's back to A+ work.
    And the watchman told... and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.
    . 2 Kings 9:20

I don't worry about my ego, so long as my camera is bigger than my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17555839@N03/

My website:
    http://www.jonathanblakephotography.com

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I've known Rod for 30 years. He's very good at what he does. His reputation suffered a little when his brother took over his Reno operation for a couple years. That's over and he's back to A+ work.
    I have a feeling he's a bit over loaded and 'tech unfriendly'. Hard to get answers via email, I spoke with him today and he said his email program wouldn't let him reply to my email... weird.. Not holding that against him, I got my questions answered in a quick phone call and the estimate seems in line with 'benchmarks' for this area.

Should have an estimator from Perez roofing coming Saturday morning. Also requested an estimate from Scott Roofing, no specific time on that.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... We waited on a 2 month list for East Fork just to send out an estimator for the repair. Some friction getting that scheduled. Guy arrives, looks over the situation and says easy job, i will have you an estimate by tomorrow. I thank him for being responsible and we like vendors that keep their word.

5 days go by and nothing but crickets. Took two day to reach him and 'oh, we don't do repairs, only full roof jobs, sorry.'

Well FFS
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

5. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

renoanyone (May 12th, 2017)

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I cancelled with them.

I got an estimate in the mail from Scott Roofing LLC, seemed okay price wise however they seem rather sketchy with the marketing terms..Several shingle options all listed as 'lifetime'.. well they have a lifetime LIMITED warranty against manufacturer defects.. sure prove that 30 years after install. Also offer addons/warranties typical marketing FUD. They did go right to a ridge vent rather than specifying installation of a bunch of 8" vent cans which I like. However they don't itemize the estimate, don't even list how many squares they're quoting just a list of 'what they do' and several cost options.

Perez roofing was supposed to be by Saturday between 8am-9am. Never saw anyone, and I was in the garage working on projects. maybe they just look up the address on the county website and estimate based on the plan drawing there.. I know I need a tearoff so it's not a case repair that necessarily needs someone to climb up and look. I'll give them a few days to mail an estimate, if I don't have something by Friday I'll pick from the two I have.

7. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

BrownBear (June 4th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    messages left at D&D (2x) no call back

Rod the Roofer 2 voice msgs left... called today and bingo he answered. says 8 weeks to get out to give estimate...

called Scott and !!!! a person answered the call. am on the wait list...

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that now would be a good time to get into roofing ;-)

10. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

A Home To Envy (May 9th, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Keith
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    messages left at D&D (2x) no call back

Rod the Roofer 2 voice msgs left... called today and bingo he answered. says 8 weeks to get out to give estimate...

called Scott and !!!! a person answered the call. am on the wait list...
    Call me Mark. My cousing owns a roofing company.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perez Roofing dropped the ball. They were supposed to be out May 6th, never saw anyone and as of today I haven't received a quote in the mail. Figured 5 days is plenty of time if they had perhaps drove by to guesstimate.

Scott Roofing seemed reliable, and professional... however their quote was lacking in substance and full of marketing malarky and attempts to upsell things like warranties..etc...not a big fan of that kind of business.

I'm going with Rod the Roofer.

Luckily I'm in no big hurry, probably have several years left on the roof however 4 layers of asphalt shingles, the flashing isn't in the best shape, no drip edge... 70's roofing.. I need to paint the house someday and would rather have a solid roof over it first.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I'll post back my impression of Rod the Roofer after things are done.... might be months from now.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please do.

i hate it when i take time from work to meet a contractor and they no call no show. At least taking time off to wait for the cable guy isn't so bad because they eventually show up.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please do.

i hate it when i take time from work to meet a contractor and they no call no show. At least taking time off to wait for the cable guy isn't so bad because they eventually show up.
    In my case I work from home, so no need to take any time off. Not a single one actually contacted me though, seems like they just drive by and estimate. I suspect that's mostly because I'm looking for tearoff and complete re-roof, and the roof is simple.. easy enough to figure out how big..
    Last edited by braindead0; May 15th, 2017 at 09:54 AM.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called Rod the Roofer Friday, left a message on his office number (it was later in the day, said no hurry Monday/Tuesday would be fine).. He called today, discussed the logistics and where I could find examples of colors. He's scheduling as far out as late August right now. A good position to be in for sure.

UPDATE: 5/19: Finally got the contract. I don't think he's very tech savvy, or has problems with email attachments (yahoo mail), or simply forgets. Every time I'm expecting something with an attachment, I never get until after I ask.. and he assures me he sent it "days ago". I run my own mail servers and know for sure that it never got here. Not a big deal, not hiring him for tech work.. however if you try to communicate with him via email and don't hear back.. check.
    Last edited by braindead0; May 19th, 2017 at 02:01 PM.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a quote in the mail from D&D Roofing... over a month after I called. At the last their communication skills stink, no email.. no phone call.. nothing.. just a quote in the mail. Too late anyway.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting we had a relatively fast response from D&D, they emailed the estimate two days later and last week we inked the deal.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting we had a relatively fast response from D&D, they emailed the estimate two days later and last week we inked the deal.
    Perhaps it's just which estimator you get.. I wasn't impressed with the materials they sent, very little detail about costs.. 90% of what they sent was marketing for their business. I prefer to see a detailed estimate, vs. 'tear off and replace roof.. x dollars' so it's clear exactly what work is being done.

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: 2 guys from Rod the Roofer showed up yesterday, about 5:30PM. Dropped the trash trailer, and asked if they could get started.. I said sure. 1.5 hours later 2 guys has pulled 2 layers of shingles off the roof (22 squares).. Did a pretty tidy job, there's some that missed the trailer but very little.

Today the same guys came back about 10AM. As of now (11:55AM) the rest of the old roof is off (2 more layers), sounds like they were securing flashing and the like.. Rolls of underlayment being laid now.

I'm thinking 3.5 hours to strip 4 layers of shingles off a 22 square roof is pretty good time. I've watched others in the area take 2+ days to do a tearoff. All that said, my roof is simple rectangle, no valleys or extra complications. Not a heavy pitch either, although 2 story.

so far I'm very pleased with Rod the Roofer. He's not the most verbose with communications, I typically like to be kept 'in the loop' a bit more. However he's been easy to work with and reliable...

EDIT: 12:22PM.. still some debris coming off the roof.. but it's just bits and pieces..

EDIT: 2:12PM. Tearoff, underlayment and site cleanup done. Shingles/materials delivery tomorrow AM. I'm going to guess that unless there's a hiccup the job with be done tomorrow.
    Last edited by braindead0; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:20 PM.

20. The Following User Likes braindead0's Post:

RenoTaco (4 Weeks Ago)

Ignore the machine
    Real Name
    Brenden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roof fully installed 8/23. Site was cleaned up nicely, entire project seemed to go very smoothly. I would 100% recommend Rod the Roofer.

22. The Following 2 Users Like braindead0's Post:

A Home To Envy (2 Weeks Ago), CashMoney (3 Weeks Ago)