Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moab Bronco Safari 2017

Another year of Bronco Safari is in the books, and I'd say it went pretty good.

Like usual, we left out of Fernley around 4am on Saturday the 29th, which put is in Moab around 5pm

Sunday morning we started off with a trail we have never been able to successfully complete, Rusty Nail

Having tried this trail on every past year, most of us remembered the line to get up RiffRaff, only one of us had to pull cable

Actually, the entire trail went pretty smooth, no breakage or issues on any of the hard stuff. So I ended up pretty light on pictures since there wasn't too much good action to document.

2. The Following 2 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

CashMoney (May 18th, 2017), Dirty Harry (May 18th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 12:02 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

CashMoney (May 18th, 2017), Sasquatch (May 19th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once we got where Rusty Nail meets back up Gold Bar we stopped for lunch then headed down Golden Spike

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 12:17 PM.

6. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

CashMoney (May 18th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ran into a small group of Jeeps and a Bronco coming the other way on the trail, nice people from Colorado I believe

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

8. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

CashMoney (May 18th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    View from top of Golden Spike/ Poison Spider(They flow into each other, I don't know which trail this overlook was specifically off of)

Meandering down the easy stuff on Poison Spider, the Toyota managed to snap off a tie rod end. We have a ready welder, and spare rod ends, but they were back at camp. Luckily, we ran into a big group of Jeeps, and one of the guys had a Premier Power welder set up on his rig. They helped us weld the tie rod together and it lasted damn near the rest of the trail, it broke off again on the switchbacks heading down to the pavement off of Poison Spider. From that point we were close enough I just ran back to camp to grab a spare rod end, and we threw it on and cruised back to camp for the night

Monday morning, we decided to push our luck since the day before went good, and went out to give Prichett Canyon a shot before it was the end of the week and all of our junk was broken

For some reason we ended up with almost all video of Prichett, and only a few pictures, so I'll post the video up when its edited, for now you just have to live with a couple pictures.

So I spent a good 5-10 minutes flailing around on Chewy Hill, but I made it up without a winch. I was thinking I had a hard time, but as everyone else gave it a shot, I saw I must have done pretty good, cause I was the only one to make it up without pulling cable

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.

10. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Dirty Harry (May 18th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were on Chewy Hill for about an hour, which ended with everyone but me taking a winch line to the top. Dylan also managed to get a good bounce in his fullsize bronco and take out a front axle shaft which took out a bearing in the carrier when it blew up.

A little after Chewy Hill there is a drop off right before a sandy wash in the trail, and Tyler snapped a tie rod end coming down off that drop

We learned our lesson the day before, so we actually brought the ready welder with us this time

Welded it up, then added all the washers we had and welded those into the mix, and we were back together

From there we got through Rocker Knocker without issue, except for having to winch Dylan's now 3 wheel drive fullsize up it. Sorry, no pictures, working on the video though

Next was the "staricase" hill, which we got mine and Tyler's fullsize up without too much drama, and we got Dylan through the bypass. But Neil blew up a ring and pinion in the rear of the Toyota, reducing it to front wheel drive. So we had to winch him up.

Next was Axle Hill, which somehow I was able to walk right up, while everyone else ended up winching up

Next was the Rock Pile. I gave it a couple tries, but when it didn't go right up it I decided not to push my luck and just winched up, and everyone else just followed suit and got up to it then winched

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 10:18 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally Yellow hill, which Tyler and I walked up, while the stuff that didn't have 4wd anymore had a long winch pull to the top

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuesday was the official first day of Bronco Safari 2017, but after Prichett Canyon, this is what most of our day looked like

Once we got all our junk back together, we had enough time to go play on Potato Salad Hill for a bit then call it a day

Wednesday we ran up Moab Rim with a group of guys from Bronco Safari

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 10:41 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up until this point, all week I had been going against my reputation for carnage, but it finally let go and somehow I managed to blow up a u-joint coming down Moab Rim, which took out the ears on both halves on one of my front shafts. I was followed closely by Dylan, who got in the wrong line coming down that first notch on Moab Rim, and broke another front shaft trying to back out.

We planned to do Cliffhanger that day after Moab Rim, but after mine and Dylans breakage, we just headed back to camp, got them back together and called it a day.

Thursday we went out with a group from Bronco Safari again, this time to Kane Creek

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 18th, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics Prichett is no joke..Upper BFE is a great place to test you junk
    1975 J20 Jeep FI454/ th400/203/205 /118 wheelbase. SOA, OBA, 42" Pitbulls beadlocked on tons

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is where our day fell apart

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used a couple muffler clamps to clamp the tie rods into a position that would hold the tires square to each other, and between a winch, and alternatively locking and unlocking the hubs on either side of the front axle we were able to make the bronco steer enough to get off the trail and to a flat spot where we could repair it. From there most of the group continued on with cash in hand for a new steering box, while we stayed behind to pull the broken box and wait for Neil to make it to town and come back with a new box.

Once Neil got back with the new steering box and we got it in, Dylan promptly twisted off another front shaft, closely followed by putting a nice big slash in one of his sidewalls. So we filled it with plugs, which got us off the trail and almost back to camp, but it let go a on the highway about a mile shy of camp, so we had to throw the spare on

Friday we ran out to Hell's revenge to play in the hot tubs and do the escalator, since we skipped over them the other times we have been on that trail. Somehow we ended up with almost no pictures and a bunch of video again today too.
    Tyler was the only one to make it through Mickeys, he walked right in and right back out, no drama. However, my Bronco had felt like it was on the verge of vapor locking all day, and when I got down into the hot tub it wasn't wanting to run and finally wouldn't start again, so I had to be winched out. Then Dylan gave it a shot and his trans wouldn't hold a gear on the angle coming out of the hot tub, so he came back out on a winch also.

Tyler and I made easy enough work of it, but Dylan got in a bind and damn near twisted his sector shaft off again on his brand new steering box.

So the next few hours were spent slowly and gingerly walking his bronco off the trail, trying not to twist the sector shaft all the way off. I took a lot of patience and careful tire placement, but we made it back to pavement in one piece, right in time to head to the Bronco Safari Show and Shine

Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 21st, 2017 at 08:48 PM.

19. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Dirty Harry (May 19th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we had been out breaking our stuff on Hell's Revenge, Neil got a chance to run Coyote Canyon with the other buggy people, and he snapped the rear output off his transfer case in the Toyota. So at the end of the day Friday we were down to only 2 working rigs. Neil didn't have parts to fix his output, and Dylan was over his bronco breaking every single day. We originally planned to run trails Saturday too, and go home Sunday, but now with 5 people and 4 dogs, we figured that would be hard to squeeze into just 2 rigs, so we called it a week and left out for home early Saturday morning

Day one, Rusty Nail video
    Last edited by 3rd Petal; May 22nd, 2017 at 09:50 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Like 3rd Petal's Post:

69cj5 (May 19th, 2017), Dirty Harry (May 19th, 2017), LEKCAH38 (May 19th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you guys went to Moab and DIDN'T blow everything up I would be disappointed by now! I'm always amazed at the field fixes you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. The Following 2 Users Like Dirty Harry's Post:

3rd Petal (May 21st, 2017), Sasquatch (May 21st, 2017)