Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ronnie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard top soft top

This is my first Jeep and I quickly figured out I had no room for storage in my Jeep. Not really thinking it through I bought a roof rack for it and bolted it through the fiberglass top. I was OK with leaving the top on in the summer and I figured it would help keep the RENO cockroaches "tweekers" from stealing sh!t from my rig. Well after my first trip to Pyramid lake with just a ladder strapped to it I realized why everyone doesn't put racks on a fiber glass roof. Most of the trip I was worried that the washers I put weren't big enough and that the rack was going to be yanked off the roof from the wind. so...... now I'm abandoning that plan and was looking into soft tops. Are there soft tops that are easy on and off or that the sides roll up and can be dropped down? Will I need to add a bunch of fasteners around the jeep or does it already have them? I haven't pulled the top on it yet I'm sure its a dumb question. Any help on the best brands and install tips would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bestop make the "Best Top" They are pricey but well built. They make 3 different door configurations so order carefully. Nice thing with them all the windows zip out and are replaceable, leaving a Safari top that folds down easily and it attaches with their unique rail system that uses existing holes, at least the last one I got did.

On my CJ's I ordered from Quadratec -

www.quadratec.com/brand/bestop
    Last edited by efstop22; May 25th, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

BUILD THE WALL!!! Sharon.
    LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUTTA THE WAY! Thomas Paine
    Lack of planning or your part does not constitute an emergency on my part! Bob Carter

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you were up to it, you could make a set up that goes through the hardtop and attaches onto the rollbar. That way it won't go anywhere and you could set it up to be able to remove it and still take the hardtop off

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ronnie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattific View Post
    If you were up to it, you could make a set up that goes through the hardtop and attaches onto the rollbar. That way it won't go anywhere and you could set it up to be able to remove it and still take the hardtop off
    I found a tread that takes a jeep Cherokee rack and shrink it up a little to fit on my YJ top. Looks like it displaces the weight across the whole roof instead of Four 6" feet. I'm going to give that a try first.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard top soft top

The Bestop NX top converts to a safari top fairly easily. The three windows zip together and wrap around the roll bar and attach to the door surrounds.

I won’t have a hard top on my Jeep ever again after my first one it’s a pain in the tail.

The standard softop is actually nice and can hold a lot of snow (I live in Incline and mine live through last winters hell) i has four feet on top of it at one point.

if you have the money paying for the twill is really worth it. The 03-06 jeeps came with the black diamond pattern and the 97-02 all came with black denim. They got blacker as time went on the twill looks like dickies pants but really thick and nice.

To install a softop on your rig you need the brackets for the roll bar that mount just behind your shoulder and the tailgate cross bar to hold the rear window. Everything else should go on right on from the header on back.

The quadratop from quadratic seems to be the best price

Smittybilt is a toss up

I won’t buy rampage the product quality doesn’t rant last

Bestop is the crème de la crème of the softop world
    "Hind sight is 20x20 thats why they don't make glasses to fit your butt."

My build thread: '06 Rubicon Build: Tag