User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best area to live in Reno/Sparks area?

Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best area to live in Reno/Sparks area?

Hey guys,
    I got transferred to the Reno/Sparks area for work, and I am currently looking for a house for when the wife and kids come up to the area. Right now they are back in ca until the house sells there. My question to you guys is, if you had two small kids to raise, where would you look at buying a home? Right now I have my eye on cold springs and Spanish springs. I drove out to Fernley today too.. It would be a bit of a commute, and I liked it out there but I'm hearing from other people that fernley is not the place to be. Is there any truth to that?
    Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Scott

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Cold Springs and like it, been here about 10 years. But..the commute can be a pain. If you can move your schedule around a bit or don't do the usual 8-5 shift getting into town isn't bad. i don't have kids, so i can't comment about schools and such. My wife has a Co worker who lives in Spanish Springs, and interestingly, their commute times to downtown are about the same.
    Welcome to Nevada, beats the snot out of CA.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The commute into Reno from the north valleys (panther, golden, lemmon, stead, red rock, cold springs) sucks from 6:30-9:00am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I live in Cold Springs and like it, been here about 10 years. But..the commute can be a pain. If you can move your schedule around a bit or don't do the usual 8-5 shift getting into town isn't bad. i don't have kids, so i can't comment about schools and such. My wife has a Co worker who lives in Spanish Springs, and interestingly, their commute times to downtown are about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevydan3 View Post
    The commute into Reno from the north valleys (panther, golden, lemmon, stead, red rock, cold springs) sucks from 6:30-9:00am

Thanks for the input guys. As far as commuting I'm not worried about it too much, As my shift is from 1pm to 11pm so I won't be driving at peak traffic times. I drove up to cold springs and drove around the neighborhoods a bit today and I like it. My wife is set on living somewhere with trees but that seems to be difficult to find.

Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. As far as commuting I'm not worried about it too much, As my shift is from 1pm to 11pm so I won't be driving at peak traffic times. I drove up to cold springs and drove around the neighborhoods a bit today and I like it. My wife is set on living somewhere with trees but that seems to be difficult to find.
    What's your budget and requirements? You want more land or is a tract home on a postage stamp lot okay? What area of town are you working?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I live up in Virginia City. No trees here. If i had to do it again, Galena area off Mount Rose hiway. In the trees but not that far from stuff.

Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chevydan3 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cmarjeep View Post
    What's your budget and requirements? You want more land or is a tract home on a postage stamp lot okay? What area of town are you working?

I'm working off of glendale ave in sparks. I would like to have land but at a minimum we need the following and are not opposed to a tract home..

4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms and a bonus room
    2 car garage minimum, 3 preferred
    Rv gate/parking preferred but not a deal breaker. Budget needs to be no more than $315k...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold Springs is a good place. If your from cali like myself, ignore the comments about traffic.
    Golden Gate Electronic Repair specializing in the repair, modification and restoration of antique, vintage, and modern electronics.

Limbonic Audio custom manufacture of hi-end audio electronics.
    Contact Shawn 775-440-1931 or 925-642-9039

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hidden Valley may be a good spot if you work on Gendale. Some nicer older homes with lots of trees and a decent park right there. Really your budget kinda dictates where you live in town.

10. The Following 2 Users Like Thedirtman's Post:

CashMoney (May 30th, 2017), DJRENO (May 30th, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    Cold Springs is a good place. If your from cali like myself, ignore the comments about traffic.
    agreed. ive been in coldsprings for 15 years now. I live in lifestyle homes in the north part of the valley. I just bought my 3rd house from them; 4 bd 2 ba 3 car. I think with your budget youll get more house than you may in Spanish springs. I got two boys and the schools are fine. we open the garage nd drive the RZR right out to tons of trails. if you want the trees Davis and Frenchmans aren't far away and we have Dog valley on the south side of the freeway.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look in SIlver Knolls, off at Red Rock and north about three miles. I don't think there are any lots under an acre, some are five. Just stay above the high water mark. Nobody really cares how many toys in the yard as long as the trash is kept under control. The Stead airport gets a little noisy now and then with the air races and the guard helo's.

13. The Following User Likes WC43's Post:

renoanyone (June 1st, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just missed the low 300k's boat in Spanish Springs I think. Last year I got a 5/3/3 for mid 300. 4-5 yrs before that I got a 3/2/3 for 170k. Seems like the bigger houses, 4-5bd, are finally starting to come up in price this last year.

After that big tribal land transfer Living out in SS is definitely less cool.

15. The Following 2 Users Like Mr_Scott's Post:

jfrey123 (May 30th, 2017), renoanyone (June 1st, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We bought right near Reed High School 8 years ago and love the area well enough. But I want more land now that I'm about to have my second kiddo, and would have loved to have a three car garage. There are properties that intermix throughout my little region that fill this requirement, but as Mr. Scott says the prices are on their way up. Haven't found enough deal to make me move yet, but I do love this area.

Try and find a home off of a main street. My street doesn't connect to any throughways, making it nice and quiet with no cut through traffic.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Fernley and commute to Sparks. Love it. We can be in offroad in the middle of freaking no where in no time at all. I can see the Milkyway at night from my back yard (Heck even in the front yard under the street light I can see it).

I hear the schools are so-so but we homeschool and don't care. I don't know what other people don't like about it. Maybe small towns aren't for everyone. But I can see mountains out of every window in my house and can get off pavement in less than 2 minutes. Suites me fine.

The commute is long by distance but it is fast and traffic is light. I would rather do 35 minutes at full freeway speed (in petty mountains lined with wild horses) than 20 minutes of suburban stop-and-go.

18. The Following User Likes MagmaFJ's Post:

Chief Sheepdog (July 29th, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Zack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your wife wants mature trees, some nicer options are Old Southwest, Hidden Valley, Galena, or Verdi. It'll take some patience but you should be able to find something in that budget, especially if you get a place that has some deferred maintenance.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The area south of idlewild park has trees and schools. Traffic from the schools and park can be a pain but its a nice area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Id...4d-119.8329796
    No good story was ever started with....Well we were drinking milk and.........

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Jay is a nice area, my brother has a cabin there and my sister lives in Big Bear. I can see where you'd want trees. What kind of work do you do ? Just curious, my office is right off Glendale.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Avoid HOA's, and propane if you can.

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live out in Spanish springs and love it here. Nice neighborhood, easy access to trails, decent lot size for trailers and our dogs. HOA can be a little annoying with certain things in our neighborhood however, but that's about the only negative. Much more quiet out here than 'in town'. We've lived in south Reno and Northwest as well, much prefer Sparks in general.
    Relentless off-road Fabrication | Sparks NV | 775-200-0544
    Fabricator of high quality off-road armor, 4x4 accessories, and more!
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube

24. The Following User Likes RelentlessTaco's Post:

SaturnICL (4 Weeks Ago)

Vendor
    Real Name
    sharon(male)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what budget are you on? lifestyle? many factors..... welcome to NV
    ** Quality Firearms for competitive prices, with the best customer service by ret. Law Enforcement & Combat military Veterans (U.S & IDF)**

MaccabeeArms.com

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm up at the back of golden valley and couldnt be happier. over an acre, mature trees, cool house from the 70's thats "not just another tract home", right adjacent to BLM so i can just take off into the desert whenever I want....etc.

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Cole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold Springs is pretty nice but getting bigger and about to get a LOT bigger with the new developments they have planned. All with no plans to widen the highway beyond two lanes into town. You wouldnt have a problem with your work hours though. Schools are fine Ive heard. There is awesome BLM access right now for endless riding but this will also be severely cut down in the future from new development. Prices are high right now and rising but you may be able to find something in your budget. Although there are some nice fixed up homes, the older neighborhood (where I live, for another couple weeks at least) is fairly run down. Id say a general mix of nice and shit properties. The newer neighborhoods are HOA and seem to have higher crime, especially Woodland Village. Personally, I would look for somewhere more rural with more property but prices for that will rise significantly. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    z
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
    I'm up at the back of golden valley and couldnt be happier. over an acre, mature trees, cool house from the 70's thats "not just another tract home", right adjacent to BLM so i can just take off into the desert whenever I want....etc.
    We must be neighbors, you just described my house

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since no one has really mentioned it yet I'll throw Northwest Reno into the hat. I live 2 min from Trail access to Peavine, quiet neighborhood, and the schools in the NW are good and close together. I wish we had a little more room, but that's about the only negative for my family.
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.

30. The Following User Likes McNasty's Post:

Paul123 (June 1st, 2017)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Cold Springs is pretty nice but getting bigger and about to get a LOT bigger with the new developments they have planned. All with no plans to widen the highway beyond two lanes into town. You wouldnt have a problem with your work hours though. Schools are fine Ive heard. There is awesome BLM access right now for endless riding but this will also be severely cut down in the future from new development. Prices are high right now and rising but you may be able to find something in your budget. Although there are some nice fixed up homes, the older neighborhood (where I live, for another couple weeks at least) is fairly run down. Id say a general mix of nice and shit properties. The newer neighborhoods are HOA and seem to have higher crime, especially Woodland Village. Personally, I would look for somewhere more rural with more property but prices for that will rise significantly. Hope this helps.
    Gotta dispute the higher crime in W/V. Pretty quiet here. Most crime is due to bored teens getting into unlocked cars. HOA is reasonable, control the weeds, put your shit behind the fence and things are fine. Most lots have RV access.