0 0%
  • July 29-30

1 12.50%
  • sometime in August

2 25.00%
  • sometime in September

5 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Lake Trail maintenance? Summer 2017 (multiple weekends)?

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hunter Lake Trail maintenance? Summer 2017 (multiple weekends)?

Does anyone know if HLT needs maintenance? Vegetation trimming? Water bars? Tree moving? Sign maintenance? Barrier (at the meadows)? Anyone have pictures of potential repairs?

Haven't traveled past the HLT mud pond in a couple years, and know that after this winter, the trails probably changed. Anyone feel like getting outta the valley heat for an upcoming Saturday and / or Sunday...to help keep this trail accessible?

July 1-2? <-- July 4th weekend, if people aren't busy...

July 8-9?

July 15-16?

July 29-30?

August?

September?

What works for people? This isn't a one-time thing either, so if someone can't make one one weekend, there're other weekends to help.

Need to get the truck out, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Chris

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do believe hlt has been adopted by the hills angels, start there.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is one!

Go Chris!!!
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

BUILD THE WALL!!! Sharon.
    LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUTTA THE WAY! Thomas Paine
    Lack of planning or your part does not constitute an emergency on my part! Bob Carter

4. The Following User Likes efstop22's Post:

Sierra Valley (June 27th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efstop22 View Post
    He is one!

Go Chris!!!

maybe we can get a firm date at the 7/18 pizza meet-n-greet. that Sat 7/22 for a survey run?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

6. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

Bmidbar (July 16th, 2017)

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The barrier at the meadow off of hlt on the caughlin side needs some attention. I saw at least one picture of a truck stuck in the meadow this year

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idiot fools. Dutch louie flat. Were aware of it, waiting to dry out to address.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Phil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UNRENG, Thanks for the great photos. The trail certainly needs some maintenance. FS won't do it, so it's up to us. Back in 1998-1999, I tried digging a couple of small ditches near the boundary sign to get water to flow away from the road surface and down into the gullies; the soil is very hard, so I wasn't able to get much accomplished. Some brush trimming, for sure, but I can't do it myself any longer. The younger guys need to step up. We need to pick a weekend(s) and get 'er done.
    I have 5 FS steel posts, the correct nuts and bolts, and letters/numbers from RockArt. We will need the short carsonite pieces that the letters/numbers go on which bolt to the posts. Have to get the short carsonites from FS in Carson City. Craig has the pounder. Phil
    '03 Rubicon Nth Degreed
    Life Member United Four Wheel Drive Associations
    Member CA4WDC since 1978
    Founding Member Hills Angels
    Life Member #1 Nevada 4 Wheel Drive Association
    KE7TOQ

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part 1 of 2:

OK...so took a quick run to just shy of the aspens and mud puddle.

a l'il bit of cleanup:
    before -
    after -

Road sign needs reinstall - it was in the weeds, so we propped it on the tree:

Sign looks good:

This is the dip along the sidehill...unsure if it needs a drain...rocks?

This is just before the 41392A turnoff - tree removal + vegetation trimming:

This is the aspen grove a 1/4-mile past the 41392A turnoff - water bars need fixin + vegetation needs trimming.

Last edited by unreng; July 27th, 2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: pictures

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part 2 of 2:

This is near the aspen grove + mud puddle - needs water bars, vegetation trimming, and maybe fill the center section with available rock.

Last edited by unreng; July 28th, 2017 at 05:45 AM. Reason: pictures

12. The Following 2 Users Like unreng's Post:

McNasty (July 17th, 2017), Sierra Valley (July 17th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Phil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The US Forest Service classifies maintenance of National Forest System roads by five levels: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Maintenance level 1 roads are closed to motor vehicle use. Maintenance level 2 roads are maintained for high-clearance (4x4, off-road) vehicles. Maintenance level 3, 4, and 5 roads are maintained for passage by standard passenger cars during the normal season of use." Here is a website that shows photos illustrating the road classes: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA...ps_.28MVUMs.29

HLT is a Level 2 route. Level 2 roads are supposed to have some periodic maintenance, but these routes are rarely maintained at all, because the Forest Service, in general, says it has no funds to maintain them, and doesn't want to be bothered with them. It's an unfortunate circumstance.

We can bring in some rocks/gravel to fill in some puddle and erosion areas, but such work will be on our own. We can also use deadfalls and drag them to where they're needed. We did this at Big Meadow to build the barricade. We can use some funds in the club account if the folks vote to do so.

If we push hard enough on the Carson Ranger District, we might get some results. The push will require lots of letter writing and phone calls to the district office in Carson City.

Some years ago the FS got its road crew to install some water bars (small cross ditches) on FR 462 (Garson Rd.), eleven of them, but all in the wrong places. For some reason they were unable to see where the water actually flowed and place water bars/small ditches to direct water downhill, off the road and into the gullies/canyons. A waste of time and money.

In Colorado, for instance, the counties have declared most of what we call "trails" as county roads, and especially in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado, the counties open the routes (bulldozing snow and/or grading) starting in June or July (depending on snow levels). The reason for this is tourism: OHV use is very big business there. The Reno area has lots of OHV routes/trails, but such use isn't on the same scale, and doesn't bring in the big money.

Phil
    '03 Rubicon Nth Degreed
    Life Member United Four Wheel Drive Associations
    Member CA4WDC since 1978
    Founding Member Hills Angels
    Life Member #1 Nevada 4 Wheel Drive Association
    KE7TOQ

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnhi7 View Post
    "The US Forest Service classifies maintenance of National Forest System roads by five levels: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Maintenance level 1 roads are closed to motor vehicle use. Maintenance level 2 roads are maintained for high-clearance (4x4, off-road) vehicles. Maintenance level 3, 4, and 5 roads are maintained for passage by standard passenger cars during the normal season of use." Here is a website that shows photos illustrating the road classes: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA...ps_.28MVUMs.29

HLT is a Level 2 route. Level 2 roads are supposed to have some periodic maintenance, but these routes are rarely maintained at all, because the Forest Service, in general, says it has no funds to maintain them, and doesn't want to be bothered with them. It's an unfortunate circumstance.

We can bring in some rocks/gravel to fill in some puddle and erosion areas, but such work will be on our own. We can also use deadfalls and drag them to where they're needed. We did this at Big Meadow to build the barricade. We can use some funds in the club account if the folks vote to do so.

If we push hard enough on the Carson Ranger District, we might get some results. The push will require lots of letter writing and phone calls to the district office in Carson City.

Some years ago the FS got its road crew to install some water bars (small cross ditches) on FR 462 (Garson Rd.), eleven of them, but all in the wrong places. For some reason they were unable to see where the water actually flowed and place water bars/small ditches to direct water downhill, off the road and into the gullies/canyons. A waste of time and money.

In Colorado, for instance, the counties have declared most of what we call "trails" as county roads, and especially in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado, the counties open the routes (bulldozing snow and/or grading) starting in June or July (depending on snow levels). The reason for this is tourism: OHV use is very big business there. The Reno area has lots of OHV routes/trails, but such use isn't on the same scale, and doesn't bring in the big money.

Phil
    Do you need aggregate?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 3 years ago we tried to pull together a project to deal with some of the erosion in the area sited above. A quick survey estimated a need for about 80 cubic yards of fill. This was seen as to brutal on volunteer equipment, something like 160 half ton loads to haul. Then we got Chicken Hawk Trucking (the same folks that hauled our power poles to Dog Valley in 2014). We did a survey run and they gave us a quote of $4000 for a tractor, operator and transport for a day. We have been looking for a deep pocket partner ever since.

Today I estimate that quote would be closer to $6000 but would have to revisit the whole thing. The club is willing to contribute some and FS is easy and said (verbally) the would issue a permit for the job if we can get everything else lined up.
    Last edited by efstop22; July 18th, 2017 at 08:28 AM.
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

Lack of planning or your part does not constitute an emergency on my part! Bob Carter

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  52.3 KB

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

17. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

slopoke (August 27th, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 3 years ago we tried to pull together a project to deal with some of the erosion in the area sited above. A quick survey estimated a need for about 80 cubic yards of fill. This was seen as to brutal on volunteer equipment, something like 160 half ton loads to haul. Then we got Chicken Hawk Trucking (the same folks that hauled our power poles to Dog Valley in 2014). We did a survey run and they gave us a quote of $4000 for a tractor, operator and transport for a day. We have been looking for a deep pocket partner ever since.

Today I estimate that quote would be closer to $6000 but would have to revisit the whole thing. The club is willing to contribute some and FS is easy and said (verbally) the would issue a permit for the job if we can get everything else lined up.
    The trucking game is weird and prices are all over the map. I wonder if Steve would be interested in helping? Theres a guy, Bruce Webber, might be worth getting a quote. Let me know if you need material, I may be able to get it donated with some sort of recognition.

19. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

RARECJ8 (July 18th, 2017)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Max, Profile says you're in Elko. Are you familiar with HLT? If Steve? and Bruce Webber are in the Reno area please give then a call and see if they have any interest. If they do let me know and we can PM contact info and see how it works out.

There are several facets to this project:
    FS won't let anything happen this year for the fire danger.
    No partner/grant funds - we could apply for a OHV grant this fall, this would need a champion and wouldn't see funds until spring.
    The road below the FS land is private property with a county presumed right-of-way, no maintenance, there is a section of the lower road that need attention to be stock friendly, I have a contact at County Public Works and can chase this.

In any case this would be an early June project . As to some trail clean-up as long as we do not use power tools we are good to go any time.
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Max. Ur in Reno now, right?

i understand the high heat issues, but the trail is already getting heavy use. how is it trailers hauling rock is a greater fire risk than a a large group out for a day ride?

anyway, will they consider late fall. octoberish?

too early in spring we run into snow issues. Aah, mother nature.

anyone have detailed, quality map of the affected areas. might be noice to have a visual aid for planning purposes and ID hot spots, study drainage flow and...

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Max, Profile says you're in Elko. Are you familiar with HLT? If Steve? and Bruce Webber are in the Reno area please give then a call and see if they have any interest. If they do let me know and we can PM contact info and see how it works out.

There are several facets to this project:
    FS won't let anything happen this year for the fire danger.
    No partner/grant funds - we could apply for a OHV grant this fall, this would need a champion and wouldn't see funds until spring.
    The road below the FS land is private property with a county presumed right-of-way, no maintenance, there is a section of the lower road that need attention to be stock friendly, I have a contact at County Public Works and can chase this.

In any case this would be an early June project . As to some trail clean-up as long as we do not use power tools we are good to go any time.
    I sent Mark a pm with some info but yes and yes and if you're interested in trucking, Bruce is a independent owner operator so hes usually cheaper. 7759721219

Steve was a reference to Steve Casci and Sierra Rental Transport who is a member on here and I can't say if hed be interested but it was just an idea.

I can help with material, I beleive, I'd just need to know what and how much. So if you get stuff lined out, send me a pm and Ill talk to my boss.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be doing hand labor, waiting for moisture will allow you to do 3x the work in the same time/effort.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpu...32810dpi72.pdf- good link for USFS hand tools

Am going up August 4-5 (soonest available weekend) to do more pruning / cutting / trimming with hand tools. Need to determine how to carry more water / extinguisher off-road.

Maintenance locations:
    1. 39.453685, -119.883634 = vegetation trimming + road work (water bars + grading)
    2. 39.456540, -119.882967 = downed tree moving + some road work (grading)
    3. 39.452984, -119.890466 = vegetation trimming + road work (water bars + grading)

Some useful tools:
    * bowsaw
    * shovel (d-handle)
    * pruner
    * pole saw
    * mini + full sledge
    * pick or pick-mattock

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    I sent Mark a pm with some info but yes and yes and if you're interested in trucking, Bruce is a independent owner operator so hes usually cheaper. 7759721219

Steve was a reference to Steve Casci and Sierra Rental Transport who is a member on here and I can't say if hed be interested but it was just an idea.

I can help with material, I beleive, I'd just need to know what and how much. So if you get stuff lined out, send me a pm and Ill talk to my boss.
    We're so busy right now I don't know if they'd be able to do anything. Most of the area's to HLT I wouldn't take one of our 10 wheelers. Maybe the garson side but isn't there a little bridge with a weight limit or am I thinking of something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    haha If I have wood for more than 4 hours due to Viagra I am not calling there hot line. I am calling that woman's sisters, cousins, friends & quite possibly her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    We're so busy right now I don't know if they'd be able to do anything. Most of the area's to HLT I wouldn't take one of our 10 wheelers. Maybe the garson side but isn't there a little bridge with a weight limit or am I thinking of something else?
    I had assumed itd go up to the trail head right there above caughlin and be stock piled. Yeah seems like everyone is in a frenzy right now.

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will be migrating photos from photobucket to imgur over the next few days...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the plan? Target date?

Saturday 8/5 looks good for a 1 day trim/clean-up run --- NO POWER TOOLS!!

Maybe fix Dutch Louie barrier etc.
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the plan? Target date?

Saturday 8/5 looks good for a 1 day trim/clean-up run --- NO POWER TOOLS!!

Maybe fix Dutch Louie barrier etc.
    August 5th it is. Whoever can make it is welcome. No power tools. Anyone know whats needed to fix Dutch Louie? Rebar? More barrier material? Rocks? Signs?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil has sign materials, I have a post driver, some rebar, all we need is a winch and a couple pribars, and some muscle.

Anyone coming bring bow saw, clippers, gloves, trash bags, shovels etc --- you know the drill.

9am Scolaris/Caughlin Pkwy - Rolling and 9:30

WHO''s IN ?????
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB