Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Rock Desert and Burning Man

Just a note BM has an exclusive permit for almost the entire month of Aug and Sept and are now requiring others who have a permitted event to carry passes so they can be approved to access the playa. BLM in it's infinite wisdom is asking for help with enforcement from the BM Rangers. If interested I can post the closure map for this year. But it even includes route 34 and only those passing through without stopping.
    Why be trail rated when you can be Mil Spec. Hummer H1 "Like Nothing Else"

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? Were headed out for an event the weekend before BM and there are no limits. Cite a source? BRC has a permit but rest of playa good to go, including the trails west historic run.

Edit: 34 is not closed.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    What? Were headed out for an event the weekend before BM and there are no limits. Cite a source? BRC has a permit but rest of playa good to go, including the trails west historic run.

Edit: 34 is not closed.

You can see the coordinates here and you can get a visual from a map compiled out of them in the attached pic.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...he-burning-man

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocket launch guys out there are reporting a similar issue.
    http://www.aeropac.org/

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beargrease View Post
    Rocket launch guys out there are reporting a similar issue.
    http://www.aeropac.org/
    Exactly where I got my info as this is what my plans are including another non Aeropac Launch called BALLS in late Sept. Aeropac has a pass which they are asking everyone to print out and display NOT for them to be able to identify you are a part of their launch but so that the BM Rangers can identify that you are part of Aeropac. I will say Aeropac has over reacted in the past when dealing with BLM and they will bow down to whatever BLM suggests but this has also been mentioned by other groups.
    I know wehave some very smart and knowledgeable people here when it comes to this area so I was hoping for elaboration or other info as well. The Juplaya FB page is have a meteor shower camp out as well on the weekend of the 12th. Not sure if they are aware. This is the first time this has come up. We have always had access from 12mi with no issues using the west side road up and then crossing over to the launch sites.
    If the map would load you could see how these coordinates lay out over 12mi and some of the portions of 34. It is not closed but still under their permit.
    https://z9hbb3mwou383x1930ve0ugl-wpe...ap_FR-NVSO.pdf

It's easier to see on a topo how this affects 12mi entrance and the main west road including 34 at 8mi.

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting map. 34 will remain fully open, despite road clogging traffic. we have good friends that own busy ranches out past the Fly geyser and 34 is the lifeblood. (especially for the NAPA parts delivery trucks) and back/forth to town.

the slashed section, according to my sources that covers 34 just south of 12 mile is to prevent lookie loos from camping there. State highway is a thru road. Main public access to BRC (ticked of course) live every year is from 6 mile. 12 mile will remain open for public use and for a very short mile or so skirts the western boundary of BRC. Well before cassiday mine site for example. the rest of the platya is open. the FOBR star party on 8/12 is far far from the city limits, almost to black rock hot. We go every year and see the city limits far south of the star site.

from the Feds: public closure area comprises about 13 percent of the Black Rock Desert playa. Public access to the other 87 percent of the playa outside the temporary closure area will remain open to dispersed casual use.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

7. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

Reno Computer Repair (July 31st, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoke with Mark at the BLM Winemucca recreation office this am and it would appear that use of 3 8 and 12mi access points to the other 87% of the playa is going to be restricted and as per agreement with Burningman and BLM they will be checking to see if you are authorized to access hence why the club has issued a permit to be printed and displayed on vehicles entering the playa at 12mi. Jungo Rd and the RR crossings are open on the east side.
    I informed him of my intentions to access the playa via 12mi later in the month to inspect the actual launch site for another launch and he said that "He could email me a letter giving authorization" if I was to have a legitimate reason ie the purpose of checking the conditions of an event area.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops turning into the King's playa I see. Another reason to be grateful for the BLM and Burning Man.

Although I still remain skeptical even they would do that.

10. The Following User Likes maxamillion2345's Post:

CashMoney (July 31st, 2017)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    Although I still remain skeptical even they would do that.
    As was I because Aeropac has a way of over reacting and volunteering/creating solutions for problems that don't exist. Like train watch years ago for flights over 30,000' finally found out it was just nervous people in the club not BLM to thank for it.
    I asked here because I know we have knowledgeable people involved with all things public land and several prominent groups involved with BRD. I know the previous Federal registers read the same and there is no mention of this in the 2017 Fed Reg for the closure notice and it caused concern that they were doing this without request from BM or BLM but sadly not so. Here's the link to the page and what they say is confirmed with BLM. http://aeropac.org/

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. Pretty sure the train will be fine as it drives over the rocket.

We will be out there watching, though we don't have anything worth bringing to launch.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MagmaFJ View Post
    Heh. Pretty sure the train will be fine as it drives over the rocket.

We will be out there watching, though we don't have anything worth bringing to launch.
    Ya think? I believe this issue was if the parachute fell over the windshield blocking the drivers view.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, He could not just walk out on the cat walk and pull it off. He would probably swerve off the track. Who knows where the train would end up.

Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing has changed

Read the closure order; there is nothing different this year relative to the past several years. Through traffic is fine on 34 and the East and West Playa "highways. You just can't stop within the closure area.
    Find the BM Stipulations, closure order and map here:
    https://burningman.org/network/about...lic-documents/

Always useful to carry a map, so you can say I thought I was here...lets the BLM know you are aware and trying to be good!