User Tag List

Thread: Maaco or other cheap paint locally?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maaco or other cheap paint locally?

The paint on our 69 nova is blown out. Like bad. I feel like anything would look better, but we can't afford a $6000 paint job.

My buddy in Napa just had his cop car painted by a Maaco out there for $1300 and it looked great to me.

Anybody have any experience with any local maaco or other such places? I can do a lot of the prep like trim removal and everything but I would want them to do, and I am willing to pay for, the sanding etc.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did a truck with spraycraft about 10 yrs ago. Had lots of problems - way longer than promised, lots of upcharges, had to bring it back to fix some issues, and the paint didn't last long.

My dad did a truck at Maaco, quality is okay, but he's pissed cause they painted the door jambs and he specifically told them not to.

I've read lots of articles about cheap paint jobs. It often comes down to how much prep you want to do - remove all trim, windows, etc, pre sanding, etc. ONe place told me if you go buy a gallon of high end clear coat and have them spray it on after the color it makes a huge difference.

If you have time, the rustoleum roll on paint jobs can look great, but it requires lots of coats and lots of sanding.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some experience with Maaco-type places when I lived in Sacramento. First, check the local reviews - success depends on the quality of the manager. Second, and most importantly - do as much of the prep work yourself as you can manage. These sorts of businesses can charge what they do by not spending a lot of time on prep. Hours are dollars. I've had a quite good outcome when I removed all of the trim and did the sanding. If there is no body work you should bee able to do a good prep in a weekend.