Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill of sale for registering

I see a lot of vehicles for sale on Craigslist without a title and saying the owner will sign a bill of sale. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the DMV's website in regard to registering and titling a vehicle with a bill of sale. For those who have done this can you explain the process to me? Do you simply show up with the bill of sale, DMV does a search of the last registered owner, matches to bill of sale then sends you a title? If they aren't the last registered owner are you out all your money? IS there any way to protect yourself if they aren't or does the DMV simply register the vehicle to you and not provide a title?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If you do not have a title, you (or the owner of record) will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled.
    The only exception is if the vehicle was 1) last titled in Nevada, 2) is more than 9 model years old and 3) has no liens or the owner of record has a lien release, the buyer and owner of record can then complete 1) an Application for Duplicate Title (VP 012) and 2) a Bill of Sale to transfer ownership. If the vehicle is 9 model years old or newer, you must obtain an actual title to comply with federal odometer disclosure laws"

DMV also says:
    "Buying A Vehicle
    Nevada Title

If you are buying a vehicle from a private party or receiving a vehicle as a gift, you must have a properly signed-off title to register the vehicle and transfer ownership. A Bill of Sale by itself is not acceptable. If the seller does not have a title, the owner of record will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled."

Not going to work with just a bill of sale...
    N7TJX

3. The Following 2 Users Like CharlieMan's Post:

pack leader (3 Weeks Ago), Toyota_James (2 Weeks Ago)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieMan View Post
    "If you do not have a title, you (or the owner of record) will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled.
    The only exception is if the vehicle was 1) last titled in Nevada, 2) is more than 9 model years old and 3) has no liens or the owner of record has a lien release, the buyer and owner of record can then complete 1) an Application for Duplicate Title (VP 012) and 2) a Bill of Sale to transfer ownership. If the vehicle is 9 model years old or newer, you must obtain an actual title to comply with federal odometer disclosure laws"

DMV also says:
    "Buying A Vehicle
    Nevada Title

If you are buying a vehicle from a private party or receiving a vehicle as a gift, you must have a properly signed-off title to register the vehicle and transfer ownership. A Bill of Sale by itself is not acceptable. If the seller does not have a title, the owner of record will have to apply for a duplicate from the state where the vehicle was last titled."

Not going to work with just a bill of sale...
    You can also place a lien against the vehicle. They send or you can't remember which sends a registered letter to the last owner. If they don't reply within x amount of time then you can apply to get a new title. I haven't had to do this but I know a few people who have and have been successful

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by y0da View Post
    You can also place a lien against the vehicle. They send or you can't remember which sends a registered letter to the last owner. If they don't reply within x amount of time then you can apply to get a new title. I haven't had to do this but I know a few people who have and have been successful

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
    It can be REALLY expensive to go that route.
    Basically, if theres no title, dont touch it.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Like pack leader's Post:

CashMoney (3 Weeks Ago), DJRENO (3 Weeks Ago)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many years ago when i bought my Willys i went to this company in Vegas that "could get me a title." I bought the jeep from a retired leo. He bought it from a retired leo who bought it in california. I had notorized bill's of sale from each. That didn't matter to NVDMV. Back to the title company. They took 250$ of my money and i didn't hear from them. Several emails, several phone calls, even called LVMetro PD. Basically, nothing. For a year! So went to a Reno Judge and pled my case. He issued a court order to dmv and they were so happy to give me a title. One day, over 18 months later i get this package from Vermont. It had license plates and a letter explaining that vehicles over a certain age they didn't issue titles for. Evidently the Vegas company had some sap do some kind of bs in other states....... Since i had a NV title and plates, i sent them back to Vermont for cancellation.
    I have heard that Sparks Justice is doing the the court order thing. You must live in Sparks. The car must be in Sparks. You must have evidence (sworn statements, etc) that you own the car legally. This is hearsay as i have no experience with Sparks.