Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washoe Wilderness Bill again!!!

The Washoe County Land Conservation Bill is being revived

This is the one that is to converts 67,000 acres of BLM land around the Truckee Meadows to development.

AND TURNS 490,000 ACRES OF NORTHERN WASHOE COUNTY INTO WILDERNESS

STAND UP FOR PUBLIC LAND ACCESS ---- GO TO THE MEETINGS --- BE HEARD --- PROTEST THE WILDERNESS DESIGNATIION

Friday, December 8th from 1-4 p.m. and Friday, December 15, 2017 2-4 pm.

at the Washoe County Commission Chambers in the Administration Complex (1001 E 9th Street, Reno)

curious how they schedule these "public" meetings when most folks are still at work.

See it here, follow the links to Friends of Nevada Wilderness for the maps.
    https://www.washoecounty.us/csd/plan...vation-act.php
    Last edited by efstop22; 1 Week Ago at 10:34 AM.
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

BUILD THE WALL!!! Sharon.
    LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUTTA THE WAY! Thomas Paine
    Lack of planning or your part does not constitute an emergency on my part! Bob Carter

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize it didn't go through the first time, seemed like a done deal. I went to the public comment meeting, they were going to rail road it through regardless of public input it felt like.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Conrad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, good thing we get restricted in places like Peavine. Saves the land for the bulldozers to play in. So tired of being one of the marginalized. You can either be a granola kumbyah singing treehugger or a dozer driving millionaire developer. If you're somewhere in the middle I guess you can just go piss up a rope.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody got a map that makes sense? The "Friends" maps don't show roads or trails, I know, SHOCKING, that they would avoid showing that a wilderness area would destroy access to other things in any sort of pre-planned manner...
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality of the maps has always been my pet peeve, they show "cherry stem roads" on old USGS topo maps with magic marker lines for borders. If anyone here wanted to buy a chunk of that land we'd have to comply with strict rules of survey to locate every inch of border.

Also the inconsistent method of the cherry stems. Many in Buffalo Hills not visible on Google Earth, Granite/Banjo clearly visible roads not cherry stems and man-made structures IN the wilderness area.

What about all the hunter accesses? The threw roads for recreation/exploring? The historic and geographic sites that are only accessible by mechanized travel.

The wilderness proponents just want to ban 90% of the people that currently use the land from doing so.

Peavine is too close to the city now. The urban interface is going to be forced into controlled areas, we will just have to venture farther out........unless THEY get that closed too.
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

Lack of planning or your part does not constitute an emergency on my part! Bob Carter

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Craig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAX... and all.
    A brief history.
    The bill came about from the County needing urban interface land from BLM for expansion (it's inevitable get over it.)
    The Harry Reid process required a wilderness component so FNW jumped on it and added Component #2 (the wilderness stuff).

Exit Harry, and enter PLAN-HDC (Public Land Access Network - High Desert Coalition) consisting of:
    Jeannie Herman County Commissioner (this is her district)
    Nevada 4 Wheel Drive Association
    Hills Angels 4x4 Club
    Nevada Farm Bureau
    Nevada Cattlemen's Association
    Nevada Prospectors
    (and a few other that escape me now.)

After several meeting the bill went to Washington WITHOUT Component #2 (the wilderness part) where it has been sitting in committee ever since. We thought we had won.

Recent communication from the County has been email and now meeting as posted above. It is RUMORED that it is Commissioner Lucey that is pushing the wilderness revival.

WILLD420 - the FNW maps are deliberately old and obscure so folks will be confused and give up trying to figure it out.

It is my desire to push County GIS into paying a few million dollars defining the legal boundaries, something they probably won't do. even if the do I want "EXISTING ROADS and TRAILS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC". (i.e. extensive cherry stems.)

I am pissed off about it because it is 1) a trade of 67,000 acres for half a million, is a BAD DEAL!! and 2) a lot of that is my favorite stompin-grounds.

I really hate age discrimination !!!!!
    efstop22 aka Craig
    KE7WRB

7. The Following 2 Users Like efstop22's Post:

CashMoney (1 Week Ago), maxamillion2345 (1 Week Ago)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efstop22 View Post
    MAX... and all.
    A brief history.
    The bill came about from the County needing urban interface land from BLM for expansion (it's inevitable get over it.)
    The Harry Reid process required a wilderness component so FNW jumped on it and added Component #2 (the wilderness stuff).

Exit Harry, and enter PLAN-HDC (Public Land Access Network - High Desert Coalition) consisting of:
    Jeannie Herman County Commissioner (this is her district)
    Nevada 4 Wheel Drive Association
    Hills Angels 4x4 Club
    Nevada Farm Bureau
    Nevada Cattlemen's Association
    Nevada Prospectors
    (and a few other that escape me now.)

After several meeting the bill went to Washington WITHOUT Component #2 (the wilderness part) where it has been sitting in committee ever since. We thought we had won.

Recent communication from the County has been email and now meeting as posted above. It is RUMORED that it is Commissioner Lucey that is pushing the wilderness revival.

WILLD420 - the FNW maps are deliberately old and obscure so folks will be confused and give up trying to figure it out.

It is my desire to push County GIS into paying a few million dollars defining the legal boundaries, something they probably won't do. even if the do I want "EXISTING ROADS and TRAILS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC". (i.e. extensive cherry stems.)

I am pissed off about it because it is 1) a trade of 67,000 acres for half a million, is a BAD DEAL!! and 2) a lot of that is my favorite stompin-grounds.

I really hate age discrimination !!!!!
    I met and talked with Jeannie Herman, I liked her, seemed she was on our side.

Thanks for keeping on top of this for us.