Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Auto Paint go bad?

I bought this paint 15 years ago. I wanted to camo out my rust old POS but I kept having rust issues because I was living in SF east bay at time. Sand down some paint and rust and before I could get a decent coat on there it would rust again..

Anyhow something I found renewed my interest and I still have the paint. Technically its not Auto paint, it industrial high strength paint, like something you might paint farm silo with. Its been so long I dont remember who I bought it from.

My inspiration.

LOL (look twice)

“The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” -Carlos Castaneda

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pop the top. Dig around with a paint stick. If it has clabbered up crap on the bottom, it's done. You cannot get that crap to go back into suspension once it turns hard. I've tried.... No amount of thinner, digging it out and filtering it or screwing around will fix it.

You can buy good oil based paint all over the place. Farm supply outfits usually have gallons of it laying around in all kinds of colors. I've even seen camo green there.

Try "Tractor Supply" "Big R" etc. Even Ace Hardware carries a pretty good lineup.

If you've never used the stuff before, study up. Those paper filters are a godsend to keep your paint gun happy. Use the disposable cup liners and buy an extra couple packages of the filters that go inside the gun. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches, especially with older paint that is on "Clearance"...
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

3. The Following User Likes WILLD420's Post:

CashMoney (January 30th, 2018)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes no and maybe. If it is acrylic, and sealed, no. Should the solvents have had a chance to evaporate, yes. The paint in the bottom will be hard as a rock. Some thinners "might" help at that point, but i would be inclined to buy something new.
    If it's in liquid state, then a good no great stir-shake should do the trick. You still might-should -will have to use some thinners to get it to spray. Use a good primer. I would use a 2 part primer like from summit racing. Places like Tractor supply have a decent acrylic primer to, although it's a single stage.
    Last edited by SmallWilly; January 30th, 2018 at 07:23 AM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Willd420 is right. Paper filters are a Godsend.. Gun filters are kinda the last resort. High build primers and flakey paint of course your going to have to pull them in most cases. Personally i hate single stage paint. I don't like the dry time or the hardness. A two part paint cures like epoxy. Once it is flashed, trash like dust and bugs wont stick to it. On the other hand, single stage paints can be recoated-refreshed with simple steps like a wax-grease remover and a rag with thinners on it.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cheapo I think harbor frieght sprayer but I'm not looking for perfection. Its after all going to be camo paint. Mess it up and you might just end up with better camo
    “The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” -Carlos Castaneda

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also only have a 2 stage 175 PSI aluminum head compressor with 35 gallon tank. Not quite enough to really spray

but I will for sure use the paper filter trick. To inexpensive not to try
    Last edited by DaGimp; January 30th, 2018 at 05:48 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    I also only have a 2 stage 175 PSI aluminum head compressor with 35 gallon tank. Not quite enough to really spray
    Dont worry about psi. I usually spray about 25psi at the gun. Clear is higher at 30-35. HF guns use a lot of air for sure and put on a lot of material. Your going to be spraying in sections anyway, not walking the side of the truck with the gun open. Dry air is a must, or at least should have. HF sells a knockoff filter that works pretty good. Has a regulator to. I had to get two to find one that didnt leak. Even then i had to fashion a new regulator diaphram.
    Dont forget to use a good mask to. Ya don't wanna breathe it.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Connecting one of those portable air tanks to your drain plug will increase your tank capacity and allow you to spray more before you have to take a break and let it catch up. Of course then its a longer break waiting for it to fill a larger 'tank'.

Real Name
    Karl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever paint you choose, remember that prep is always important.

11. The Following User Likes kcarlmax's Post:

CashMoney (March 10th, 2018)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)