Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions for FOTR Trail Boss candidates

For those of you who haven't heard, there will actually be an election this year for Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR) Trail Boss.

Shannon Chard is trying to return as Trail Boss and Scott Johnston is challenging her. I'm not going to provide bios or info on either. Hopefully both candidates will provide that. The reason for this post is to ask the candidates questions about the Tahoe end of the Rubicon Trail.

As soon as I post this, I will email both candidates and let them know this thread exists. Hopefully, it will turn in to quite the roundtable with more people asking questions and both candidates responding.

So, Let me keep this simple and get to (my) the questions:

-What can be done to get more participation on the Tahoe side from both volunteers and government agencies? As Trail Boss, how will you see that progress is made in that direction?

-What needs to be done to get an adopt-a-trail program in place with Placer county on the Rubicon?

-At one time there was county and forest service agreement for an outhouse at Observation. Is this a dead deal or can this still happen?

Thank you both for stepping up to volunteer long hours and receive minimal appreciation.
    Doug Barr - www.TheOtherRubicon.com
    Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's & No. Tahoe Trail Dusters

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres an often manned information kiosk at the loon lake dam, could not the Tahoma side benefit from such a kiosk, and if so how would it managed and manned ?
    It's not the problem, it's the solution, that counts.

Real Name
    Shannon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and thanks you for the questions Doug.
    I would like to introduce myself, I am Shannon Chard. Most of you already know me. For those who do not, I am an avid trail user and outdoor enthusiast. You may have met me in my club's 4x4 ice cream truck at many local trail events or fundraisers.
    I Have served as FOTR's Rubicon Trail Boss since 2016. I have about 13 years experience driving and volunteering on the trail. ( still a newbie by some standards)

What can be done to get more participation on the Tahoe side from both volunteers and government agencies? As Trail Boss, how will you see that progress is made in that direction?

My first thought is of course, let's have some work parties! Even if its just picking up trash or going out and talking to other trail users about responsible use of the Rubicon. I know that it is way easier to get people excited to help if you can show them in person what we are all so passionate about.

The Government agencies on the Tahoe side, are still working towards “the well oiled machine status” of management of the trail. As FOTR we need to keep them engaged with the FOTR work force. Invite them to any event that would be helpful in building respect, trust and a solid relationship.
    FOTR has had a Tahoe Side Lead for a few years, this has proven to be very useful. John Briggs has been unbelievably helpful in keeping the Government Agencies and FOTR working together.

-What needs to be done to get an adopt-a-trail program in place with Placer county on the Rubicon?

I heard recently ( through the grapevine) that the County has possibly secured the grant funds to complete the Trail Assessment and mapping on the Tahoe Side. Hopefully this is the case. These would need to be completed before an Adopt A Trail (AAT) program could work easily, ( with out frustration from the volunteer clubs and the County) Clear directions and locations of Best Managment Practice (BMP) is crucial.
    Once we have the maps and BMP locations or needed BMP locations, I think we could use the current EL Dorado County AAT program as a model to present to the county and USFS.

El Dorado County AAT has gone through some minor changes this past year. It looks like the 2018 season may be its time to shine! Many projects are slated to be handled by AAT. FOTR has three major work days on the El Dorado side scheduled for 2018. That being said, FOTR will have more availability to focus on Tahoe Side projects this summer and I believe in the future. If there are suggestions for 3 larger projects ( 20 or more volunteers needed) or handful of smaller ones. I would love to hear them and plan dates before the annual meeting to have volunteers sign up to help.

-At one time there was county and forest service agreement for an outhouse at Observation. Is this a dead deal or can this still happen?

I absolutely love this plan. Yes, I do believe it is still something we can work towards. It was my understanding that the County and FS needed a club or group to take on the responsibility of servicing the bathroom ( including removal of waste) on a regular schedule. FOTR still has not been able to get one group to make this commitment and take on the responsibility. I believe that's is why this project has been put on the back burner. I have no problem revisiting this if any club or group is interested in the service commitment.

Kiosk

The Loon Lake kiosk was donated by FS, it was a building they planned to dismantle, FOTR and EL Dorado County asked to take the building. ( there is one at Wentworth Springs as well)

I spent many hours this summer on the trail working as Mid Trail Staff. The benefit of the kiosk is wonderful, it has information, maps and spill kits, The greatest benefit of the kiosk is to have an opportunity to talk with trail users and keep them informed and treading lightly. I have also found it is a fantastic way to find new FOTR volunteers! A kiosk would need permission from the county and USFS in Tahoma. The idea of a mobile ( on wheels) kiosk has been mentioned, and may be worth discussing the benefit. I am sure management and getting volunteer help manning the kiosk will be an easier feat once we have a plan approved to have a kiosk. Lets brainstorm on ideas. I would like to check with John Briggs, USFS and Placer County to see how the Kiosk project fits with the current plans for the Tahoma entrance to the Rubicon Trail.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like there's not much interest in this thread but I'll try and keep it going.

FYI the FOTR meeting will be held Saturday, April 7, 2018. It will begin promptly at 10am and should conclude close to noon. Lunch will be provided by RTF with FOTR volunteers. The meeting will be held at the Metal Cloak 2484 Mercantile Dr, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 http://rubicontrailfoundation.org/rtf-fotrmain.htm

The mapping of the trail issues has been completed. I have a copy, it should be public information. I don't know if Placer has applied for a grant to actually get the work done. It seems they've lost interest in working on the Rubicon.

Regarding the toilet, the clubs on the Tahoe we never properly contacted by FOTR regarding maintenance. I know because I was (am) Vice President of two of those clubs. FOTR needs to reach out not sit and wait for a club to step up about something they don't know needs to happen.

Who's going to approach Placer about an Adopt-A-Trail program, FOTR, RTF?

The LTBMU has a plan for a new kiosk, new trail map and for paving the staging area. The kiosk with new map might happen by Memorial Weekend. The kiosk will have one 4'x8' section, taken up by nothing but the new map and two 4'x4' section for other information. The paving is in a planning stage this year (2018) and a action state for next year (2019). They plan on reaching out for input regarding the staging area this year (2018).

The current FOTR website seems to be on the RTF website. Are these organizations now one? Is there somewhere else to get details and information about FOTR? History, accomplishments, visions, etc?

Doug

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    423 views and virtually nobody is taking part in this thread.

I'd really like to know why. Yes, it's actually taking this thread sideways, but I'm okay with hi-jacking my own thread.

Do Reno wheelers not travel to the Rubicon?

Do Reno wheelers not know about Friends of the Rubicon(FOTR)? And the Rubicon Trail Foundation(RTF)?

Do Reno wheelers not care about the Rubicon?

I want to post more questions but I don't want to lead people in to opinions.

Please post up with your thoughts, comments and/or concerns regarding the Rubicon and/or FOTR.

Thanks

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug, try the reno4x4 facebook page. Lots of traffic there.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay,

I'm on Facebook as Rubicon Ronin but only to drive people to my website.

I don't want to start joining groups and following people/groups because I don't do Facebook.

I'd appreciate it if you'd post about this thread and drive people back to this website.

My point is 400+ views and no comments right here on Reno4x4.

Why?

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of us just assume that a person running for a Trail Boss an a very pro-access organization would share most of our views, so we're just happy that someone is willing to step up and volunteer their time and efforts. I have no questions, I'm just glad there are people passionate about access and take a pro-active role.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm glad people are taking responsibility, but it won't affect my wheeling no matter who is elected. I very rarely go on the Rubicon, there are WAY too many people and the trail just isn't as fun as it used to be. I know the broad issues are not trail-specific and everything is tied together to some degree, but to me it doesn't matter which particular individual fills this role, any differences would be too fine for me to notice with the broad lens. There are some who are really focused on individual trails, but I think many of the folks on here are more of a local trail type and/or are into dirt roading and exploring instead of putting a ton of effort into one trail that they rarely (if at all) visit. Many of us probably don't have an opinion on where an outhouse should go or whether there is a kiosk somewhere on the Rubicon.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shannon Chard was re-elected to the Trail Boss position.

With El Dorado County working with Adopt-A-Trail groups on their side, Shannon plans on focusing her 2018 efforts on the Tahoe side.

Please get in touch with her if you'd like to volunteer for a project either as a leader or a worker.

If you know of something that needs to be addressed on the Tahoe side, or anywhere on the Rubicon, please let Shannon know about it.

11. The Following User Likes Simple Man's Post:

Dirtydonky (April 9th, 2018)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeCamel View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad people are taking responsibility, but it won't affect my wheeling no matter who is elected. I very rarely go on the Rubicon, there are WAY too many people and the trail just isn't as fun as it used to be. I know the broad issues are not trail-specific and everything is tied together to some degree, but to me it doesn't matter which particular individual fills this role, any differences would be too fine for me to notice with the broad lens. There are some who are really focused on individual trails, but I think many of the folks on here are more of a local trail type and/or are into dirt roading and exploring instead of putting a ton of effort into one trail that they rarely (if at all) visit. Many of us probably don't have an opinion on where an outhouse should go or whether there is a kiosk somewhere on the Rubicon.
    This was the objective of the enviro loby, guess they are winning, while we are complacent.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydonky View Post
    This was the objective of the enviro loby, guess they are winning, while we are complacent.
    I would say there is quite a large difference between indifference to who is the Rubicon "Trail Boss" and complacency in general. The aspects to which I was referring have nothing to do with the "enviro loby", they have to do with thousands of shitheads being morons on the trail in close proximity.

If the issue were not about electing one of two people of similar ideals to a post for a trail I don't visit, and was instead about new regulations, requirements, or closures, I (and many others) would certainly have put in our two cents and any effort or funds available. This question, to me, was as if somebody was asking which Democratic candidate for mayor of Atlanta I wanted to know more about. To me, they are the same.

I was only posting to help the OP understand the lack of response here. I don't think the lack of response was due to complacency over land-use issues, and I gave my own reasons and those of many people with whom I hit the trails.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where this is going to play out is whether or not the greater Tahoe/Reno area will rally to help do maintenance projects on the Tahoe side of the Rubicon Trail.

There is a lot to do and Placer County does not seem to want to play nice like El Dorado County is doing. El Dorado is willing to do the paperwork and apply for the grant funding (if Placer let's them) but volunteers will be needed on the trail to get dirty.

Rumors are the anti-OHV people are looking at the Tahoe side since the Placerville side has it's act together and is all over trail maintenance.

John B, the past Tahoe side lead stepped down after three years of great service to the trail. FOTR is looking for someone to coordinate the maintenance efforts on the Tahoe side. Email Shannon if you're interested.

John and I will continue to monitor everything going on about the Tahoe side of the trail and will help anyone stepping up to be the Tahoe side lead. We've got a few things going on right now.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeCamel View Post
    I would say there is quite a large difference between indifference to who is the Rubicon "Trail Boss" and complacency in general. The aspects to which I was referring have nothing to do with the "enviro loby", they have to do with thousands of shitheads being morons on the trail in close proximity.

If the issue were not about electing one of two people of similar ideals to a post for a trail I don't visit, and was instead about new regulations, requirements, or closures, I (and many others) would certainly have put in our two cents and any effort or funds available. This question, to me, was as if somebody was asking which Democratic candidate for mayor of Atlanta I wanted to know more about. To me, they are the same.

I was only posting to help the OP understand the lack of response here. I don't think the lack of response was due to complacency over land-use issues, and I gave my own reasons and those of many people with whom I hit the trails.
    I'm sorry for using your words to make my point about this post, it has nothing to do with your position on this issue, and no disrespect was meant, other than pointing out how many feel now that everyone has been pushed into one trail by many other trail closures. I totally agree, the jack wagons on the rubicon with their city mentality drives me crazy, I get to see all of them when we care take down at the cabin in the springs.This is making trail stewardship a much more relevant issue than ever before, as the enviro movement never sleeps, and will pursue us out door types till we are all living in the city using mass transit.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydonky View Post
    ...pointing out how many feel now that everyone has been pushed into one trail by many other trail closures.
    I think this is a great point and if it is indeed the driving factor, we need to make sure we look at closures from a community standpoint. If a trail was in danger of being closed and there was something the Reno 4-wheeling community could do to stop it, I think there would be much more interest.

Simple Man - I also recall there was decent turn-out for a few of the Tahoe side maintenance projects in the past. If that is what is needed or requested, I think there would be some positive responses. I would be willing to come help get dirty if I am able. I also happen to manage an environmental laboratory, so if there is ever any soil or water testing needed, I can provide those. I know there are some occasional tests performed.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make sure to post all Rubicon trail maintenance projects here.

Stay tuned.

18. The Following User Likes Simple Man's Post:

Dirtydonky (April 11th, 2018)