Thread: Cold Weather Sleeping Bag Suggestions

Real Name
    Samuel

Cold Weather Sleeping Bag Suggestions

Hi guys,

Heading out on my next trip in a few weeks and I have a problem.

My current sleeping bag just isn't keeping me warm at night. Admittedly, this was a cheap purchase but this time I'm looking to spend a little more, say up to $200, to ensure a comfortable nights sleep!

I've found the Hyke & Byke Quandary from this list https://professionalcamping.com/best...sleeping-bags/ which looks like a pretty good option but I've also heard good things about Rab bags.

Ideally I'd love the bag to be able to deal with temperatures below -10 F.

Would you have any recommendations for bags or manufacturers? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    kirtus
    For a good quality bag your probably going to spend more than $200 unless you don't care about size. My suggestion is to go with a high quality down bag with the highest full power you can afford. Then buy a liner to up it performance. Also the biggest issue if you are sleeping on a cot or a hammock is the breeze blowing under you drawing heat away from the compressed side of you bag. Your sleeping bag is basically just a way to trap warm air around you and if the fill is compressed it cannot trap the warm air. I would suggest some sort of cot drape or an underquilt in that instance. Others swear by insulated pads but I could never get comfortable on one. Best bet is to do your research and decide what's best for your situation. There's a lot more to a sleeping bag than there was in the 70's.
    Hi

3. The Following User Likes uglysami's Post:

Dirty Harry (April 16th, 2018)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    kirtus
    https://www.gearx.com/blog/knowledge...-sleeping-bag/

Check this out and it will guide you. But do as much research as possible.
    Hi

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Cary

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scot
    We use these puppies, heavy and thick, but your gonna stay warm,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElOOHpEaBR8
    It's not the problem, it's the solution, that counts.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Propane Heater

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Conrad
    I used to work in a big sporting goods store in so cal years ago but we were big enough to get factory reps in to do seminars and such. The temp rating on a sleeping bag is the bag as a system with a sleeping pad underneath, ie. Thermarest, or the like. and a base layer on you. Anywhere the bag looses its loft it looses its insulation capability, like underneath you lying down. Another thing is length. A great bag will leave you cold feet if it's too short and gets pulled tight at your feet when you pull it up to your chin to cozy in for a good nights sleep. A good rule of thumb is 6" longer than you are tall. You'll notice backpacking mummy bags have a foot box for this reason. Space where you need it with as little weight as possible. If you are a bigger guy measure around your shoulders and chest and again add 6". So if the measurement is say 70" and you're 6' tall a 38"x78" would be about right in a rectangle bag. A little too big is better than a little too small but toooo big just wastes your body heat to warm space you aren't occupying. A slick, non-cotton liner will feel a touch colder at first but warms quicker than a cotton liner and slides on your base layer better keeping binding and twisting to a minimum which helps to maintain loft in the bag which keeps you warmer.
    As far as brands go every one has something to offer it's just a matter of what is important to you, weight, packed size, price, ease of care, can it double, etc..

9. The Following 2 Users Like wrenchjunkie's Post:

69cj5 (April 16th, 2018), Dirty Harry (April 16th, 2018)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kolt
    I have one of these and I REALLY like it, honestly the bag is way underpriced for the quality
    https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...8370/cat100841

Plus you could get a right and left zip and make a bigger bag when the ole lady tags along.
    Last edited by BUILTnotBOUGHT; April 12th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyMike View Post
    Bill, I think you have earned the nickname California Bill, super-nanny with an irrestible urge to have others conform to your comfort zone.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    I Don't think the name of a manufacture has much to do with how warm a bag will keep you. I slept in an enclosed with plywood porch all winter in Fairbanks in a Military Goose Down mummy bag and didn't die ! lol actually it was fine, I'd look for the heaviest down filled bag you can find.

12. The Following User Likes willys dave's Post:

uglysami (April 18th, 2018)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    If you aren't backpacking, then just layer up with blankets. Get some wool ones (harbor freight actually has some decent ones). Put several under you and more on top. Sleep in thermals.

Real Name
    jason
    Tennier industries sleep system. They make the sleeping bags for the military. I believe they’re rated for up to -30*. I was issued one and use it almost every weekend. Back in February I camped up at job peak mountain in about 3’ of snow in a tent cot and had to unzip the sleeping bag halfway through the night. I had the light patrol bag, cold weather bag, and a goretex waterproof bag. You can use all 3 separately and button them together to keep you warm. You can find them on fleabay or amazon for a decent price.

Web Wheeler
    https://www.wiggys.com/

The only bag that works wet or dry. Research the internet / youtube and see what people say. And it's made in Colorado.

Real Name
    Samuel
    [MENTION=3727]uglysami[/MENTION]
    Thanks man. Actually there are too many options and I started to get anxious about the choice I made. Cause it's warmer now I went for a sleeping bag within my budget and I'll take your advice on the extras when I'm out in the cold again.

Real Name
    Samuel
    Quote Originally Posted by TxWonTonTJ View Post
    Tennier industries sleep system. They make the sleeping bags for the military. I believe they’re rated for up to -30*. I was issued one and use it almost every weekend. Back in February I camped up at job peak mountain in about 3’ of snow in a tent cot and had to unzip the sleeping bag halfway through the night. I had the light patrol bag, cold weather bag, and a goretex waterproof bag. You can use all 3 separately and button them together to keep you warm. You can find them on fleabay or amazon for a decent price.
    Checked them out. Look really dope!