Thread: Petroglyphs/??? This Saturday and Sunday

Real Name
    William

Petroglyphs/??? This Saturday and Sunday

I missed the Petroglyph run out of Lockwood on Sunday.
    I have friends coming to town next weekend and they are bringing their quads. I have a SxS. I was thinking of trying (again) to find the Petroglyphs out of Lockwood. Can anyone tell me how the run went on Sunday?
    Also, I would like any suggestions that any of you may have for a run on Sunday. I do not know any of the trails around Reno. I am a total Newbie to the area. I spend most of my SxS time in the BLM areas around Winemucca.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated. If anyone wants to make a group run out of it, on either day, I will supply adult beverages!
    (It does look like there is a chance of rain this weekend, but I don't care. I have a roof and windshield, unlike my Quad buddies)

Thanks
    Bill

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    If you want a cool ride that is high elevation, you can try for the fire lookout tower above Verdi. Quads should be ok but a sxs broke a rear axle trying it last summer. Might be cold with snow though. Not sure how much has melted in the last 30 days. We were up there in March and snow was 4’ deep on the flat spots and deeper in the trees.

This was a few years back. Before snowmageddon 2016/17 washed a 3’ ditch down the middle of the road.

http://www.reno4x4.com/showthread.ph...ort-01-03-2015
    Last edited by WILLD420; April 23rd, 2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Run went good and was a great day. I think it is easier to find from Virginia City vs lockwood and a better trail but I guess it is where you are located at. I live on Mt Rose and it was right at an hour drive from the petroglyphs to my house. I do drive a bit faster then most though.

Real Name
    Bill
    Hey dirt man, this is Bill from Sunday. When we went out through v.c. We stopped for minute by the fire station and were confronted by a storey co. Sheriff. He informed us that we were trespassing on private roads. After a brief conversation we found out there is no legal access from v.c.

Real Name
    Bill
    Oh ya. Super lucky, that has some pretty good ruts and washes. Could be somewhat challenging if we get much more than a drizzle.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Strange. The Storey County website shows that Lousetown Road and Cartwright Road are publicly maintained roads. Wonder if someone is pushing a closure or if there was a mistake in interpretation?
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks for the heads up Bill, that the first I have heard of it. I wonder if we came in two different directions. I came by several homes on a dirt road before I got to the fire house. I came in from the North at the fire house.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Charlieman and I went from the Firestation on Cartwirght and Lousetown. Its way easy and perfectly legal. dont be driving like an ass around the houses and have the ohv permit.
    Once your on the dirt part of Lousetown, stay on that main trail. There are two turns, one to the right (where the trail from Lockwood comes in) and one kinda left at the rock fence. (that runs to bronco)
    When you get to the pink caddie (thats shot up) turn right and stay on the trail. It's pretty used, there were a bunch of people up there last saturday.

Real Name
    William
    Thanks for the replies!

I am hoping that I can try the Petroglyhs on Sunday. I have one local rider that knows the route and he is going to show us the way, weather permitting. (This would be from Lockwood).

Does anyone know if Dog Valley Road is open and dry? Jumbo was also recommended as a place to play on Saturday.

Thanks for the help

Bill

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    jumbo is open, I ran it earlier this year and it was no problem with a stock tj and a stock 4 door jk,.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Joe
    I don't know it from Lockwood but I'm going in from Lousetown on Sunday with a friend of mine.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    kirtus
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    Strange. The Storey County website shows that Lousetown Road and Cartwright Road are publicly maintained roads. Wonder if someone is pushing a closure or if there was a mistake in interpretation?
    Actually they are private roads maintained by the 2 homeowners associations
    Hi

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jeremy
    I haven't logged on here in forever - keep me in the loop if you guys are riding either day this Sunday. I'm dying to take my RZR out somewhere other than moonrocks and Sand Mountain.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by aphex View Post
    I haven't logged on here in forever - keep me in the loop if you guys are riding either day this Sunday. I'm dying to take my RZR out somewhere other than moonrocks and Sand Mountain.
    I'm absolutely going Sunday. The guy I'm going with has plans in the afternoon so we're going early, 8:30 at the Maverik at the bottom of Geiger.

Real Name
    William
    I will be meeting some others at the Lockwood exit (Bottom of the ramp) at 9 am on Sunday.

Hope to see some of you there!

(I'll have a white GMC truck/trailer with a SxS)

Bill

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJchukar View Post
    I'm absolutely going Sunday. The guy I'm going with has plans in the afternoon so we're going early, 8:30 at the Maverik at the bottom of Geiger.
    I'll be there. Are you planning on going all the way through to Lockwood or back out to Geiger?

Real Name
    William
    The road from Lockwood to the Petroglyphs was in OK shape. For the quads and SxS I would rate it a 2 out of 5, with a couple of off-camber spots that made you think. For a real 4x4, this is probably 1 1 out of 5. Some sections of the road have suffered washouts and there were some rocks/boulders that required care.
    Having never seen them before, it was quite impressive to view the shear numbers of drawings.
    I did run into DJRENO and two others at the site. Good to meet some guys from the forum.
    The weather did start to deteriorate in the early afternoon so we headed out around 2 pm.
    Bill

18. The Following User Likes Superlucky's Post:

ZJchukar (April 30th, 2018)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    We had a good time. Thanks to Joe (ZJchukar) for leading the way. Pretty amazing place. We'll be back.

20. The Following User Likes DJRENO's Post:

ZJchukar (April 30th, 2018)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    We had a good time. Thanks to Joe (ZJchukar) for leading the way. Pretty amazing place. We'll be back.
    My pleasure.