Thread: The Bad Mama Jama

Real Name
    Mitch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bad Mama Jama

I owned a 1998 Yukon 1500 for about a decade and in that time became a fan of CK based trucks. Before I moved to Reno in 2016, I sold the Yukon and bought a 1998 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4WD that had been lifted with an early Pro Comp kit.

I wanted the big block because, as everyone knows, there's no replacement for displacement, but I have since learned the only real purpose of a big block is for towing. You don't get as much low end torque as with the 350, and the Suburban is much less zippier than my old Yukon. It's quite a struggle to get onto the 580 northbound at Second Street just before the Spaghetti Bowl and cross the four lanes necessary to continue north. I don't recommend the big block unless you are towing or hauling a lot of people (kids) around.

For reasons I won't go into right now, my employees and I call the truck the Bad Mama Jama.

Last year I asked Folbeck 4WD to work on the old, shaky lift kit, and they welded some members that had originally been bolted together. They also sold me new wheels and tires because I could not find replacement tires for the original 16 inch wheels. This is how she looks today:

The truck is my daily driver, and I also like to take it on off highway trails like the road up Peavine and jeep tracks in the Virginia Range behind my house. It is incredibly useful for hauling loads (a 4x8 sheet of plywood fits perfectly in the bed, which I don't think is an accident), and my partner and I enjoy car camping with it in the desert. It is much roomier in the back than the Yukon was, and my partner and I sleep comfortably with our 80lb dog.

Yukon on left and Suburban on right:

The truck sucks gasoline like there's no tomorrow, and because of its size and weight there are a number of trails I simply will not attempt with it. I have a 14 year old GTO I plan to sell this spring, and after I do that I might get a 1998 two door Yukon or Tahoe as a trail hopper and daily driver, reserving the Bad Mama Jama for hauling and camping duty.

I joined the forum because I have some work to do on this rig and I thought I might be able to get some advice here.

Nunc est bibendum.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome. I've been considering a suburban lately for a family haulin' trail/camping rig.